Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default HELP!!

ive just chareged 2 batteries on my cdc and both batteries made a poping/hissing sound when charging....i dunno if it was the charger or the batteries.....but its vary scary and its never happened b4...they are also about half as hot as they useuallyu get and that both get around 8.5 to 9v...

please help!
Old 06-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like your Batt's cells are not equalized ... which means some cells are being over charged and venting .. the noise you hear is gas being released from the cells .... not a good thing ..... you should get a equalizing tray and put your Batt's on them first before you charge them .. just make sure you dump them before you put them on the equalizing tray ... .. you might get lucky by dumping your batts and letting them sit for a while .. them try to charge them up ...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

hey adrian that happend to me once with my gp 3300's i didnt know what hapend so i just took my battery off the charger and let it cool out side once it was kool i charged it back up again and it was fine.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

would equalizing them on my cdc help?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pink pac man
would equalizing them on my cdc help?
That will just equalize the whole pack not the individual cells.
I would tray them if possible.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Yeah traying them seems the best bet...I would tray them right after you assemble a new pack than set them on the charger that way you'll get a more accurate charge.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

whats traying mean? im new to all this battery stuff
Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

traying means discharging your batteries on a discharge/equalizing tray. Even if your charger has a discharge function it will discharge the entire pack to whatever voltage you set it to (5.4 volts if using a 6 cell pack) instead of each individual cell like what a tray will do.

The tray will get each cell down to 0.0 if using a deadshort tray made by Integy, Much More, Novak etc. Novak also makes a smart tray that allows you to set the discharge cutoff between 0.9, and dead short.

The advantages of a tray is your batteries will last longer because a tray almost acts as a conditioner for your batteries.

I'm tired and a little drunk here having a hard time explaining this. Someone kick in here please.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Are trays absolutely necessary for a casual racer?

Sean
Old 06-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

k ive cycled them and had a few charges through em....

they didnt pop after i cycled them..and they have 57 internal risistance..is that bad?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

Do not know how you measured Internal Resistance, but I guess your figure is normal. I personally use Spintec to bring this down from 50+ to 30+ or even less sometimes
Old 06-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

your cells vented

buy a basic discharge tray to equalize them.
50 internal resistance is not too bad, could be better..
(Teens is awesome, 30 is average, above 70 is bad)
Old 06-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default tip

Hey try this, i had a hissing cell once, means its vented as somewhere above meaning your pack is now junk sorry to say, only way to find out hook ure pack up to a millinium pro charger and if it says "battery condition" when you try and charge. ye pack is screwed, as some people said traying is the best for batts, always do it and my pack after 6 months still take the full 3300mah on a 6.5 amp charge,
Old 06-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

you need to tray your cells. if your batts are hissing on your cdc, may have over charged them. i only use 3mv/cell peak when i am using old cells on the cdc. don't push them hard and you can still use them as a practice pack w/ reduced run time.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok i waznt able to get to tray but he venting has stopped but now there is a worse problem....they are dumping at the end of a stock race.......

they have the power cos i get 1st and 2nd place....but im still going limp [talking about the car :P] at the end of the race

i know i need new cells but wat shouyld i get....ive had my epic monstor metalks[zebra] for a few years and they have bin awesome.....there unmatched aswell....but they were like 150au for 4 packs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.