R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #106
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

MX i feel ya. Its 73 miles one way for me. Testing was interesting. Within the first pull of the trigger I noticed a crunching sound..1/4 lap later my spur gear was gone. No biggie I'll put in another one....ten dollars later I hear it again....spur. The plastic spur gear holders are too flexible and deflect on acceleration causing misalignment and failure. Soooooo i buy the the alloy parts A&B.....$44 and $20 dollar units..
Ouch!!! I tell ya this car was a bargain to get into but will cost a fortune to get race ready...parts are costly! My advice would be to save your pennies and get the pro. Trust me you want regret it. Now on to final thoughts: if you want to run the car as is, change over to 48p gears as they are stronger and can take the abuse. If you want to race it get the aluminum motor mount and partner it up with the alum gear support.. And that should save the gears.. Get the alloy servo mount as the stock one flexes too much. But i used goop under my servo and its sturdy. Redo the ball stud on the servo horn cause the stock one is pressed in the hole. Thats all i could find until i can get some laps on it. Overall tho its a beautiful chassis and inexpensive to get in to. Costly to repair/upgrade.......so bottom line, im not gonna upgrade this car buy tossing parts at it. I'm just gonna buy the pro and be done. IT'S the better buy....cheers
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #107
Tech Rookie

I did buy the Pro (2 of them through the HRP sale $239) set one up for VTA and the other for USGT. I also picked up a TR10 for spare parts. At $99 the spare arms, c-hubs, turn knuckles, gear diff and shocks were will worth the investment. Only issue I have had was getting the gear diff's to seal. I ended up making my own gaskets. I have had no leaks.

Ran base set up but lowered the roll center on the USGT. That help the rear end.
mx461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #108
Tech Addict

Good deal! Please share your gasket secrets cause mine leaks too. As frustrating as my night could have been i rather enjoyed the experience. The Ho-B Max crew did above and beyond to help out. Digging thru tons of inventory to find my parts....offering to hand dremel down all 6 screws for the new motor mount (stock ones are too long). Just what a racer needs! So after dinner and dishes I'm going back to work on it for practice at king on friday
Old 11-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #109
Tech Rookie

I went to Napa Auto Parts and bought the thinnest gasket material they had. I cut out the gaskets to size. I then preassembled Diff half’s (No gasket or gears) tightening down completely and then disassembled. Take the large Diff half and surface sand with 600 grit on a piece of glass. This gives you a good flat surface for the gasket to seal to. The purpose of preassembling the diff is when you thread and start new screws it can cause a raised portion in the plastic around the hole. Surface sanding removes this.

Hope this helps, I will be at Ho-B max Sunday for the point’s race.
mx461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #110
Tech Addict

Good stuff thnx man!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #111
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recently got my hands on the TC10 and I am very happy with it. My rear diff leaks as well and after reading the posts above, I will try the fix. After finding the right size spur gear for stock (92) and getting the 2 deg rear toe block, it's been smooth sailing.
Kris James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #112
Tech Addict

I ran my TR10 sport against some pretty stiff competition last night and I wish i could've done better but....oh well. Nearly every run needed a part here or there (thankful for Dave Cates) and his spare xray. Eventualy the car was in race form. Heck i even lead for a while until a front CV pin put me in 3 wheel drive mode. Am I happy with my results? Not really. Did i get my money's worth? Yes i feel I did! Soooo my next move will most likely be to make the R a vta car and buy the pro later on....I LIKE THIS CAR
Old 11-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris James View Post
I recently got my hands on the TC10 and I am very happy with it. My rear diff leaks as well and after reading the posts above, I will try the fix. After finding the right size spur gear for stock (92) and getting the 2 deg rear toe block, it's been smooth sailing.
Hi! Make sure the o ring is nicely fitted on the groove when you put the diff together. Also make sure it's not overfilled.
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #114
Tech Addict

What other rear hubs fit besides xray? Will yok or tc6.1 work?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaak View Post
What other rear hubs fit besides xray? Will yok or tc6.1 work?
Other hubs may work, but keep in mind, some use a 2 1/2mm outer hinge pin and others use a 3mm.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #116
Tech Regular

So other than pink vs orange, any other difference between the tc10 and the sakura ultimate?
hairless_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #117
Tech Addict

The steering rod length on my tr10 is 21.90mm the tc10 is 22.55. What length brings me closet to .5 degresz to out?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #118
Tech Master

Quote:
The steering rod length on my tr10 is 21.90mm the tc10 is 22.55. What length brings me closet to .5 degresz to out?
Find someone that has a set-up station and ask if you can use it.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #119
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Quote:
Hi! You mean the left and right steering links? If you don't have a setup station you can determine the toe by measurin the distance between the wheels from the front part of the wheel and same thing from the rear part of the wheel. The difference between the two gaps is your toe. It's not very precise but it works.
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #120
Tech Addict

Yes i know just curious if 22.55mm was the kit setup of 1 toe out....... 1/2 toe in....and so on. For now I'm using calibers til I get my setup station. Front end is sensitive on corner entry. Thanks y'all