R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Unhappy HELP ME PLEASEEEEE! Team Associated TC5 question.

Recently, I just bought a TC5 from a member in this forum. His setup was:

4000mah 2s battery
Trinity 21.5T motor
Speed Passion club cirtix esc
68T Spur gear
34T Pinion Gear

In the 1st run, the motor ran without a fan and a heatsink while the esc had only a heatsink attached to it. However, it ran fine for 20mins without a problem.

In the 2nd run, after 15 mins, the motor stopped working due to overheating. I didnt have tool to check the temperature but I could guess from touching the motor and the esc. The motor got very hot, but the heatsink was slight warm. I let it cool down for around 5 mins then rode for another 5 mins.

After 5 mins, the car stopped again and this time it was dead completely. When I took off the body I could see some smoke coming out from the motor and I almost got burn touching it. The Esc was warm, and I still can control the servo only.

After doing some research, I guess there was no chance for the motor and bought a Novak 17.5T which also had 10.5Tstator included with.

However, even after get the motor replaced, it would not run.

Then I bough another ESC which is Speed Passion Gt2 Pro black carbon edition. This time, it worked and the car ran again. (kinda weird to think that the esc broke except of the motor)

However, there was a friction force that held the car from running. The top plate somehow applied a force on the bearing cap of spur gear and acted like a brake that prevent the car from moving. Can't really understand why it did that, so I just took off all the screws out of the top plate and left only 4 screws to hold the plate and the spur gear from moving. I also lubricated some parts to make the car move more smoothly. It really worked.

Then I replaced the 17.5T stator from the motor with 10.5T one b/c I wanted to see how 10.5T worked.

I attached fan and heatsink to both the motor and esc this time to make sure nothing will get burned.

Moreover, I figured out that the original set-up maybe over-geared with a roll-out ratio of 1.9:1 after did some calculations.

So I changed the pinion gear to the 22teeth 48P one.

Now this is my setup:

4000mah 2s battery
Speed Passion GT pro 2 ESC w/heatsink and fan
Novak 10.5T 4200kv with heatsink and fan
22teeth 48 pitch pinion gear
68T spur gear
Roll-out is around 1.3:1
You can find more information of my set up here:

First test run around 15mins was ok, motor was a little warm, ESC was a little warm too, the only thing that get hot was the pinion gear which almost burned my finger.

I did a 2nd test drive today (weather is hot today) . The car ran smoothly and silent so I practiced drifting for around 15mins. Then IT STOPPED AGAIN
No smoke, motor was warm, pinion gear was very hot as the 1st run, esc was a little warm (I set up the temperature protection on ESC already). Servo can move, but the motor stopped working completely.

I still have another stator to replace, but I don't want to do that until I figure out the reason. I don't know if the esc or the motor dies this time, I didn't take them out to test yet since it took time to do that.

Does anybody know what's wrong to my car or my set up? I am really appreciate for your help.
lovely_bear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

is the gear mesh okay? Sounds like it could be too tight, Because of the hot pnion.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Ryan Gracey

Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Not only tight mesh. Keep in mind that electrics aren't really intended to run that long time either. I'd bet you also need to go to a bit smaller pinion. Check for drag too.
Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
Thanks to the SoCal guys that help me & "Tha Man" Paul Lemieux
Racing TC Class where allowed with what I have.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Please also check the manual if the build is absolutly correct done! For me it sounds as if the spur bearing caps are installed wrong.
AE / Reedy / RSD
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys, it seems that i totally forgot about the gear mesh. Im gonna check it again soon. One ore question, how long do you guys drive before stopping to cool the car?
lovely_bear29 is offline   Reply With Quote