Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Questions about tires

So I will be racing my very first on road race in Vegas for the IIC and will be racing 17.5 12th scale and was just wondering if everyone ran new tires for every run??
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

In 17.5? Unless you have money to throw away then I don't see the point.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

very first onroad race as IIC, that's awesome..... and Brave!!! Wish I could go. I agree with Panda
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In high bite freshies have a certain magic to them. Re-runs can be inconsistent in high grip. Although the time between races at the IIC can mitigate this as can tire cleaning with things such as lighter fluid.

Here is an example of an iic setup indicating one run tires;

http://www.racerlog.com/w/images/8/8...-175blinky.pdf

The opinions will vary, but do not discount the speed and consistency of fresh cut tires in this particular situation.

Mike Slaughter
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John birmele
So I will be racing my very first on road race in Vegas for the IIC and will be racing 17.5 12th scale and was just wondering if everyone ran new tires for every run??
I should see someone tomorrow that runs 1/12 at IIC. I will ask him and get back to you on that. You going by yourself?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
I should see someone tomorrow that runs 1/12 at IIC. I will ask him and get back to you on that. You going by yourself?
Thanks a bunch I will be attending by myself!!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Hey John, my name is Paco. I wasn't able to go today so I called him. He says, when you buy new tires they are about 45 mm tall. They wear down as you use them. They can be run til they are about 41 mm. Thats when the foam starts to act crazy and the car drives funny. Three sets should be plenty. Jaco black for the front. Jaco yellow for the rear. There is also a onsite hobby shop. Good luck and see you there.

Last edited by F. Mendoza; 08-30-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey John,

You still livin in Vegas? Good Luck at the IIC

Just remember...now this is KEY! REMEMBER you have to turn RIGHT once in a while!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SWTour
Hey John,

You still livin in Vegas? Good Luck at the IIC

Just remember...now this is KEY! REMEMBER you have to turn RIGHT once in a while!!!
Hey Joe, it took me a couple of seconds to catch on. I take John raced oval with SW Tour?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Joe, it took me a couple of seconds to catch on. I take John raced oval with SW Tour?
Yes I raced oval for a long time so I really hope I don't beat the boards down too bad!!!

Thanks joe!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

I ran 13.5t and changed my rears every run and my fronts every 2 runs, dunno if the IIC have tyre limits but if you can afford to put freshies on every run then go for it, after all you only gain advantages rather than disadvantages!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey John, my name is Paco. I wasn't able to go today so I called him. He says, when you buy new tires they are about 45 mm tall. They wear down as you use them. They can be run til they are about 41 mm. Thats when the foam starts to act crazy and the car drives funny. Three sets should be plenty. Jaco black for the front. Jaco yellow for the rear. There is also a onsite hobby shop. Good luck and see you there.
Sorry... but you will be hard pressed to find a guy in the A or B in 17.5 that will not be running freshies every round. They will also be starting the fronts around 40-40.5mm (on BSR/CRC 38mm wheels) or 39-39.5mm on the Jaco wheels. And the rears around 41-41.5mm.

You will not be able to get away with running large tires in Vegas... the grip is simply too high, and the car will drive like crap. You can run slightly bigger tires than the above sizes if you glue the sidewalls.

Like masterhit mentioned, freshies are the best way to have a consistent car from round to round. And in 17.5 for Vegas, where consistency and that last tenth can mean the difference between the A and C mains(last year, positions 2 thru ~18 were separated by about 7 seconds), showing up with 3 sets of tires is a recipe for frustration.

Granted, if this is your(the OP) first on-road/12th race, you may simply be trying to learn the ropes and have fun. If that is the case, do whatever your bank account will allow.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Sorry... but you will be hard pressed to find a guy in the A or B in 17.5 that will not be running freshies every round. They will also be starting the fronts around 40-40.5mm (on BSR/CRC 38mm wheels) or 39-39.5mm on the Jaco wheels. And the rears around 41-41.5mm.

You will not be able to get away with running large tires in Vegas... the grip is simply too high, and the car will drive like crap. You can run slightly bigger tires than the above sizes if you glue the sidewalls.

Like masterhit mentioned, freshies are the best way to have a consistent car from round to round. And in 17.5 for Vegas, where consistency and that last tenth can mean the difference between the A and C mains(last year, positions 2 thru ~18 were separated by about 7 seconds), showing up with 3 sets of tires is a recipe for frustration.

Granted, if this is your(the OP) first on-road/12th race, you may simply be trying to learn the ropes and have fun. If that is the case, do whatever your bank account will allow.

Hey thanks for the great info I will be running BSR'S and now plan on bringing enough tires to run fresh skinz every run!!