Wiki Posts
Search

Benchmarking the Best RC Fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

R1 also claims they have a 8.4V 30mm fan on the way. I'd like to see how that tests out too and should be pretty affordable.

As much as I love my Superior Hobbies F5 fan, $30 is really expensive for something that probably cost less than $1 to make.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Agreed, my LHS and track both stock R1, so it's easy to find. I'll look forward to trying it out.

The F5 is crazy expensive. If it was guaranteed to last forever, i'd have no hesitation recommending it. Of course, we race and sh*t happens, especially on parts as exposed as fans, so that's not the case.

I haven't had a chance to post this part of the analysis yet, but I actually dissected the F5. All I can say so far is it certainly cost more than a dollar to make
Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
nice job. I also like the battery test articles you wrote.
Appreciate it. I'm always brainstorming other aspects of RC we can test out. Hopefully we can come up with more good ideas.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Nice article, like it!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Very nice write up. answered some of my questions. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Outstanding article and a big "screw you" lol, I'm now $60 USD lighter for 2 fans plus postage to Australia...

I simply have to try them...
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

LOL. i said not to get it
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Nice article, nice website ! CTRL+D'ed
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silencery
LOL. i said not to get it
When your graph shows it is the best one it's hard for R/C people to not get it.

Think of it like this: Say you show 3 motors; one costing $40, another $60 and the last $80. The $40 one being the best value for the money, but also the slowest on your chart. The $60 being a little faster but not quite as good of a per $ to RPM or whatever. Then you have the $80 motor showing it is the best of the bunch. How many people are going to go with one of the better value motors over the faster motor? Some will of course but most will not.

I am having such a hard time NOT buying this $30 fan... I have 2 WTF fans I just got and after seeing this... I am like WTF I should have got an F5! Then I think about it more and realize my driving is my issue and not that my fan's aren't pushing enough air. All of these fans are good. So $30 spent on practice is better then $30 on a new fan.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Travis S
When your graph shows it is the best one it's hard for R/C people to not get it.

Think of it like this: Say you show 3 motors; one costing $40, another $60 and the last $80. The $40 one being the best value for the money, but also the slowest on your chart. The $60 being a little faster but not quite as good of a per $ to RPM or whatever. Then you have the $80 motor showing it is the best of the bunch. How many people are going to go with one of the better value motors over the faster motor? Some will of course but most will not.

I am having such a hard time NOT buying this $30 fan... I have 2 WTF fans I just got and after seeing this... I am like WTF I should have got an F5! Then I think about it more and realize my driving is my issue and not that my fan's aren't pushing enough air. All of these fans are good. So $30 spent on practice is better then $30 on a new fan.
That's exactly the issue i'm having a bit of trouble with. Besides trying to provide data which is as accurate as possible, my other priority is to avoid pushing my own bias onto others; I'm not in a position to do that. I simply want to provide good clean numbers so everyone can make choices appropriate for their situation.

With fans in particular I find they're an easy part to break if we're rubbing fenders or traction rolling since they're usually not well protected.

I've even broken fans simply by accidentally touching them while they were on. With the super high RPM models we see these days (basically all the fans tested), it's not hard to put a crack in the impeller, throw the whole thing off balance, and instantly turn your expensive fan into a pile of junk

Ultimately, it's just as you say. A fan won't make a difference on the track even if it were twice as efficient as everything else if you can't drive! Practice and race experience are still key, which is why I completely agree: the potential budget you spend on a fan would be much better spent in practice/race fees.

Maybe I should update the article to emphasize that more - Don't be stupid
Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S

That is an extremely good summary of my mentality also... This is not a cheap hobby so the large majority of us have disposable income... And lets not forget we are on an internet forum discussing data from tests on various cooling fans!

So we are purists with too much money... Show me some evidence that will give me a performance advantage and it's no longer about spending $30 on a cooling fan, it's about feeding the appetite a large majority of us have for glory and perfection...

So be careful what you publish
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silencery
I've even broken fans simply by accidentally touching them while they were on. With the super high RPM models we see these days (basically all the fans tested), it's not hard to put a crack in the impeller, throw the whole thing off balance, and instantly turn your expensive fan into a pile of junk
if you could find a way to test this--- that would be killer.

remember guys -- the fastest fan cannot beat a better driver, better setup or a better motor. fans are meant to allow us to push the envelop of motor gearing.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
remember guys -- the fastest fan cannot beat a better driver, better setup or a better motor. fans are meant to allow us to push the envelop of motor gearing.
+1

Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a R1 wurks fan and forget the rest of them.... A fan's worst enemy is a dumb corner marshall who does not know how to handle an electric Car.... Don't fall for those crazy ”WTF” names and stay true to Performance...lol...
Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Wow, it's not the marshals fault he has to touch your car in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.