R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tekin RS GEN2 SPEC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/753141-tekin-rs-gen2-spec.html)

bvoltz 08-21-2013 08:22 PM

Tekin RS GEN2 SPEC

New product from Tekin:

Tekin Link

From the Tekin Web Site:

The RS GEN2 SPEC is designed for Spec racing and offers professional performance at an affordable price. True ROAR Spec mode only, no timing or boost features are available. The RS SPEC brings racer-friendly tuning and flawless operation to the world of Spec racing.

Packed with new features, the RS GEN2 SPEC provides an EZ Access Port for HotWire communication and Datalogging capabilities in a small sized package. Rated for 13.5 turn motors and higher, the GEN2 is the perfect ESC for both experienced and new racers. Couple the RS GEN2 SPEC with a Redline GEN2 brushless motor for the ultimate package in Spec racing equipment.

RoyU 08-21-2013 09:44 PM

I wonder what the "affordable price" will be?

Anyone know when the 1s esc is coming out?

evochick 08-22-2013 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by RoyU (Post 12471959)
I wonder what the "affordable price" will be?

Anyone know when the 1s esc is coming out?

on the right of the page

TT1155 - RS GEN2 SPEC ESC

Street Price - $135

mkiiina 08-22-2013 07:07 AM

Interesting. Should be a shoe-in for USGT and VTA.

b20btec 08-22-2013 07:13 AM

Tekin is falling behind on the stock spec classes, they should've released this ahead of the competition with a price point under $100.00

hyujmn 08-22-2013 07:18 AM

I'd still take a Hobbywing Justock over it. Half the cost for a Justock and easier to program? Done deal.

Clegg 08-22-2013 07:53 AM

That and the justock is for sale for $50 or less most of the time. Unless the actual price to market is close to that, I'd say the Spec Tekin is dead in the water except for Tekin fanbois out there.

hyujmn 08-22-2013 07:58 AM

Even if the price were $99, I still think it would fail against the Justock. Look at the Novak Edge. It used to dominate VTA until the Justock came out. The price/performance of a Justock is just too good. There's really no reason to pay more for a no-timing ESC.

patorz31 08-22-2013 08:20 AM

It will have to work way better than my Hobbywing for that kind of money. The Justock is one of the biggest surprises I have had in this hobby. A $49 speedo shouldn't work this well.

BadPanda818 08-22-2013 10:21 AM

I like how companies are coming with "blinky" esc's. Save people money from buying expensive esc's that comes with features they won't use. On the other hand, $99 is not that bad compared to orion's $150 esc. Still a little high for its purpose but, that's what you get from a well established company.

jlfx car audio 08-22-2013 10:33 AM

It does have data loging but what info does it log ?
Tx input
Voltage
Temp (ESC?)
Rpm
I would like to see
amperage /current
Motor temps . (not that it don't )
With the user able to zoom in on the data on a real time graph and overlap different runs onto same graph would be well worth the extra money to me if the ESC was smooth with good breaks ....
Think vta would be out since u can hook it up to PC to make changes . could be wrong tho

Randy_Pike 08-22-2013 11:58 AM

The RS Spec logs:

Throttle input
Esc Temp
Motor Temp
Motor RPM
Voltage

We are working on other ways to view the info, overlap runs,etc. For stock racing these are some nice "streams" to view how efficient your setup is. Voltage drop over time is just as important as amp draw which can throw off random spikes here and there.

Note that not all motors have a temp sensor internal to them so some don't register motor temps.

94_snake 08-22-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike (Post 12473616)

Note that not all motors have a temp sensor internal to them so some don't register motor temps.

Is there an easy way to find out what motors have the sensor in them? Tekin, Trinity, Novak, etc..

Thanks

Kevin Marcy 08-22-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 94_snake (Post 12473804)
Is there an easy way to find out what motors have the sensor in them? Tekin, Trinity, Novak, etc..

Thanks

Connect an ohmmeter between pins 1 (usually a black wire) and pin 5 (usually a blue wire) on the sensor cable (unplugged from the ESC). If it's around 10k ohms, it's got a sensor.

Novaks have them, Trinitys generally don't (haven't checked every model, too many to count :rolleyes:).

Randy_Pike 08-22-2013 06:00 PM

Kevin is correct. Most have them but some companies do omit them.