Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lipo battery life >

Lipo battery life

Lipo battery life

Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)
Default Lipo battery life

Hi, how long do lipo batteries last, from production date. If the batteries are brand new still in their packaging, but are nearly 5 years old, will they still be good or will they not be able to take on a charge or will their discharge rate not be the same. basically want to know, even if the lipo batteries are brand new, but are 5 years old, will they behave like new or do they eventually lose their abilities over time, thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What I have been told and have noticed in previous yrs is that a battery sitting around unused kills its performance . more so with punch than run time . ur has copper inside with chemicals . I would think it would deteriate . I know I been running 3 packs I got last Jan/Feb steady all summer and haven't noticed a fall off in there performance at all . but I had a forth pack that ran good up until I got these new packs but after it sitting 8months @3.85 its weak. Still has good run time but I do run .2-.3 slower on the carpet.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you buy the good packs last longer performance wise than the cheaper packs.

I personally only run hard packs.

Packs like Sting (Trinity, SMC) are the best out there right now.
Also my second pick would be Venom.
Yes, believe it or not Venom.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had a reedy 5000mah 35c last for nearly 7years. Just puffed Sunday..
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

They will die or a cell will go bad if you just leave them as is. I had a few brand new battery packs between a friend and I that we never soldered up. (It was 4S batteries and I ended up taking a break from 1/8th offroad to race 1/10th onroad). I just put on new connectors on them after 2-2.5 years and they all turned out dead. Tried to force a charge without balancer. And then they all puffed up.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

When u guys say puffed do you mean they literally swelled and puffed? Even the hard case?!

Is this not dangerous?

At what point does an old battery become a danger or safety probl
Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you talk to the guys at SMC, they say that their lipos puffing is pretty standard because of the smaller cases that they use. As such, swelling of their packs isn't covered under warranty.

Mine still charge and balance perfectly even after charging them at 12-15a without balance charging. They came to me slightly puffed, which, apparently, is within tolerance from SMC.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BC2G
When u guys say puffed do you mean they literally swelled and puffed? Even the hard case?!

Is this not dangerous?

Very Dangerous
People lost there homes to lipo fires.

If you have a swelled or puffed lipo pack get rid of it now.

Even though a puffed pack still runs fine it can burst into flames at any given moment. Or small hit from another vehicle.
Why take chances with fire, and loosing more than a lipo pack.

Buy a quality lipo pack and it won't puff or swell.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
Very Dangerous
People lost there homes to lipo fires.

If you have a swelled or puffed lipo pack get rid of it now.

Even though a puffed pack still runs fine it can burst into flames at any given moment. Or small hit from another vehicle.
Why take chances with fire, and loosing more than a lipo pack.

Buy a quality lipo pack and it won't puff or swell.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
If you buy the good packs last longer performance wise than the cheaper packs.

I personally only run hard packs.

Packs like Sting (Trinity, SMC) are the best out there right now.
Also my second pick would be Venom.
Yes, believe it or not Venom.
What is your take on the new Trinity Revtech Formula "X"?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BC2G

Is this not dangerous?

Yes, puffed to the point where it cracked open the hard case. Very dangerous.

If you have a quality balance charger, it will not charge a dead lipo since it will tell you there is a low voltage issue or cell is overly discharged. I always balance charge because of this.

I've tried to revive a dead lipo by charging it without balance charge, and then switching to balance charge. I was monitoring the battery the whole time. As soon as it swelled up a bit, I cut the charge and disconnected. Battery was done!!

FYI, I have had relatively newer packs that I use regularly that have puff ever so slightly on me. I'm told this is normal on Revtech batteries. One of mines puffed slightly on initial charge (pack is about 1mm overall taller on both sides). I've ran about 20 cycles through it and it hasn't gotten worse, but keeping an eye on it... Even had Turnigy packs that have puffed up a bit, and then "depuffed" Pretty weird....

But safe to say once it swells quite a bit to a certain point, consider the battery done so you don't end up burning a place down...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

I found brand new orion 3800 lipos, made by kokam in Korea, these are 5 years old but never used, still new in package, If I bought them, would they still old a charge or are they pretty much done, I wanted to purchase them as they fit perfect in my Tamiya, unless some one can point me in the correct direction, as who makes a similar hard case 2s lipo thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Not to say they r bad but I wouldn't think they would be competitive . I would think resistance would be really high . and they may fall off fast.
Crappy fresh packs r usually still better than old good packs even tho its never been charged .
Its like a donut . u take a bite of one put it back in fridge with the others a week later u deside to eat them all none of them taste that way they did when fresh ...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bvoltz
What is your take on the new Trinity Revtech Formula "X"?
I ran the Revtech 100 C lipos. I have two packs.
Very good lipo made in Japan.
Good voltage, great for club racing.

The Sting lipos are just a notch better with longer voltage times then the Trinity Revtech Formula "X" lipos.
If it comes down to price the Trinity Revtech Formula "X" are good!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a lipo pack which I've had for almost 2 years. I noticed recently that with this pack my car was a bit slower and less punchy than with my other pack. Also, this pack has recently not allowed me to balance charge it, but only to charge it normally. Is this a problem ? It isn't puffy or bulging in any way ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.