R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #151
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
He's a US citizen... really!@?! I'm having a very difficult time believing that. But who knows, maybe so!

But "living here in CA" and being a US citizen are two entirely different things. He could have had a temporary visa, etc.

+1 Very very highly unlikely, in my outside opinion, for him to join Tamiya.

Highly unlikely... if he has aspirations of doing this, then he will sacrifice his driving... drivers should be drivers. They can provide input into the design and even design it themselves, but it takes a lot more than designing a car to get it into production. He'll never have the time to do the races anymore. IMHO, I think his best bet would be to be THE elite driver of a manufacturer who already has the operations established. From a business standpoint, Traxxas, Xray and Durango probably are best bets.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that Tamiya has done fantastic in touring cars but not in any of the other offroad categories... Hmmm.... maybe this would make sense after all since he would seriously elevate Tamiya in offroad?
Why would this seem very dificult to believe? Just curious.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #152
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

he is Japanese and I believe they don't allow a 2nd citizenship like Germany and other Countrys. And is hard to believe that he throws away the japanese passport for any other.
May he got a greencard and than you can stay here to.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #153
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
Why would this seem very dificult to believe? Just curious.
You don't just come to the U.S., say "hey I want to be a citizen", fill out a few forms and bingo, you're in. For one thing, you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can even apply. And even after that, the process can take a couple more years. I don't know how long he was here but I don't think it was that long.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
You don't just come to the U.S., say "hey I want to be a citizen", fill out a few forms and bingo, you're in. For one thing, you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can even apply. And even after that, the process can take a couple more years. I don't know how long he was here but I don't think it was that long.
I was going to say "that's not true" but after a few seconds of thought, you are correct.
ToysRUsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #155
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Going to Tamiya may not be as far fetched as you may think. Rhinehard and Wilk have both been running "outlaw" 417 V5's this year using the Raceberry chassis. Kio Suzuki (Tamiya) usually wrenches on Mark's car at the Reedy race and this year he worked with Sobu instead. Since when do you stiff a World Champ to work on a relative new comers car? I'm sure there is some type of friction caused by Mark and Victor running non Tamiya parts even if it's only on occasion. Seems like a message may have been sent by Tamiya saying "no help from the factory if you don't support us 100%"? Mark didn't need much help that weekend though as he pretty much kicked everyone's butt at will and walked away with the title wrenching on his own car.
Getting a Japanese native like Hara running for their program would be huge. If nothing else Tamiya using discussions with him might send a warning shot over the bow of the boat that there are other world class drivers available willing to run 100% Tamiya product to support the brand. Also, a dual contract with Tamiya and Mugen covering almost all of the bases between electric and nitro seems logical. Hara would be an invaluable addition to the design team to bolster Tamiya's relatively new off road program and their ventures into 12th scale, not to mention a fresh look and perspective into revamping their top end on road car that seems to have fallen behind competitively in recent years compared to the Yokomo BD-7.
Guess only time will tell what is going to happen, but there may be a big shake up in the upper echelons of Pro RC Drivers making moves from one company to another as a result of Hara's decision to leave HPI-Hot Bodies.

As far as Hara being a US Citizen, I doubt it. He's been living in the Philippines for the last few years. I think just from an income tax stand point, California is not where you want to live. They'd take too much of his income in taxes. It's probably one of the major reasons for him choosing the Philippines to live. Taxes and the cost of living are faaaar cheaper there according to my Philippine friends who live here in the US.

Last edited by Leester; 08-20-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #156
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
Going to Tamiya may not be as far fetched as you may think. Rhinehard and Wilk have both been running "outlaw" 417 V5's this year using the Raceberry chassis. Kio Suzuki (Tamiya) usually wrenches on Mark's car at the Reedy race and this year he worked with Sobu instead. Since when do you stiff a World Champ to work on a relative new comers car? I'm sure there is some type of friction caused by Mark and Victor running non Tamiya parts even if it's only on occasion. Seems like a message may have been sent by Tamiya saying "no help from the factory if you don't support us 100%"? Mark didn't need much help that weekend though as he pretty much kicked everyone's butt at will and walked away with the title wrenching on his own car.
Getting a Japanese native like Hara running for their program would be huge. If nothing else Tamiya using discussions with him might send a warning shot over the bow of the boat that there are other world class drivers available willing to run 100% Tamiya product to support the brand. Also, a dual contract with Tamiya and Mugen covering almost all of the bases between electric and nitro seems logical. Hara would be an invaluable addition to the design team to bolster Tamiya's relatively new off road program and their ventures into 12th scale, not to mention a fresh look and perspective into revamping their top end on road car that seems to have fallen behind competitively in recent years compared to the Yokomo BD-7.
Guess only time will tell what is going to happen, but there may be a big shake up in the upper echelons of Pro RC Drivers making moves from one company to another as a result of Hara's decision to leave HPI-Hot Bodies.

As far as Hara being a US Citizen, I doubt it. He's been living in the Philippines for the last few years. I think just from an income tax stand point, California is not where you want to live. They'd take too much of his income in taxes. It's probably one of the major reasons for him choosing the Philippines to live. Taxes and the cost of living are faaaar cheaper there according to my Philippine friends who live here in the US.
To the raceberry conversion of Marc's and Victor's cars:
Tamiya Germany/Europe allowed them to run the car like this, they are professional drivers and they will not brake their contracts to win a race.

I think we all put to much in to the whole Hara leaving HPI/HB theme and loosing sight of the reality, me too.
For my self I'll wait and in a couple of weeks we will see what he will do.
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'll throw my 2 cents in

....Maybe he will race for Amain Hobbies like some drivers are already doing. Free to run what ever chassis and class you want.

Kyosho and Serpent probably can't afford him. AE, Tamiya, Losi are way full with their A-team of drivers. Durango/Great Plane probably don't suit him as there's too much red tape to get things done (remember, Hara-san for all his years at HPI/HB pretty much go direct to boss man)...xray seem to like a good option, but I just don't feel that one happening.

or he just might go back to Yokomo (I believe his WC title in touring car was with Yokomo)

....I'll just email him and ask, see what he says
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #158
Tech Master

Xray needs a champ like Hara and they can afford it. Especially in South Asia where there aren't any big names representing Xray and Hara's seen this side pretty often... But who knows...

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #159
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post

I thought Hara was based in Thailand, same as Jilles?
seankyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #160
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankyew View Post
I thought Hara was based in Thailand, same as Jilles?
Correct. Based out of the Ride offices at RC Addict in Bangkok pretty much.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #161
Tech Master

"Atsushi Hara, who only last Friday made the shock announcement that he was leaving HB, has taken the opening round of qualifying at the FEMCA 1:8 Offroad Championships in China. Racing a Mugen, which the former World Champion went out and bought himself in a hobby shop in Thailand..." - RedRC

So he actually bought it!

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think a lot of you over estimate this concept of him being given anything and everything RC, from what I have seen, it just does not work like that, and I can't see the value in any company just randomly sending him cars etc when he does not 'work' for them, being that specifically he likely 'works' for the competition most of the time.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #163
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Exclusive interview made by Red RC:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #164
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I think a lot of you over estimate this concept of him being given anything and everything RC, from what I have seen, it just does not work like that, and I can't see the value in any company just randomly sending him cars etc when he does not 'work' for them, being that specifically he likely 'works' for the competition most of the time.
+1

Alonso will have to buy a Mercedes if he wants one.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #165
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-rem View Post
Exclusive interview made by Red RC:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
RC industry is week at the moment from his statement. Maybe HB has no money to pay his salary. I heard some rumors SP is also not in best financial shape ...what actually surprised me.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote