R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #1396
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been running a mazda speed 6, so I think that mellows the car out a bit I think. What I have noticed, especially with switching to the aluminum chassis is that when you drive it harder the better it gets. I think thats what I like most about it, its consistent from lap to lap and you can push it as hard as you can and it has so much traction it just goes. ( this is racing on a soda sprayed asphalt parking lot track)

Last edited by WEEZY; 09-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #1397
Tech Regular

also a quick question, what are people doing to cut weight with the aluinum chassis. My car was 1440 when I put it on the scale with the chassis. does the lightweight spool outdrives and main hub, shock retainers or springsteel turnbuckles do anything to lightent it up?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #1398
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZY View Post
also a quick question, what are people doing to cut weight with the aluinum chassis. My car was 1440 when I put it on the scale with the chassis. does the lightweight spool outdrives and main hub, shock retainers or springsteel turnbuckles do anything to lightent it up?
If you want to lighten your car, you don't want to replace plastic parts with steel. You

I don't know what size battery you run, but a 6000 mAh battery will shed a lot of weight. The Blitz GSF .5mm body saves a lot of weight as well (Approximately 25 grams over a typical lightweight body) if you are able to keep your car off of the walls.

Those two items should get you into the ballpark and from there, you can decide on lightweight screws, axles, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #1399
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah I was thinking he was running some really heavy electronics along with a 7000+ battery. That'll put ya up there for weight. 60grams is a lot of extra weight.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #1400
Tech Regular

I am running the 7600 aero model now. Was deciding on if I want to switch to a 6000. Saves aout 40 grams. The pack I ran was a little old and it didnt seem like it had the punch. but maybe just because it may have been flat.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #1401
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZY View Post
I am running the 7600 aero model now. Was deciding on if I want to switch to a 6000. Saves aout 40 grams. The pack I ran was a little old and it didnt seem like it had the punch. but maybe just because it may have been flat.
I run all ORCA electronics. The Orca TX motors are very light, so I run their 6200mah battery in modified so I dont have to add a ton of weight to balance out. When I went to tech for the first time at the Reedy Race, my car was 1332, ready to race. I had to find a lot of weight!

The "lightweight" spool cups and diff cups are significantly heavier than the stock plastic and aluminum components. They are much more durable, and relatively LW for being made out of an alloy steel.

To make your car as LW as possible.. I'd suggest staying with the stock spool cups, diff cups, turnbuckles. If you want even lighter, check into the 7075 Aluminum rear driveshaft parts, 6000ish mah battery pack, and titanium/aluminum screws if you're really desperate. That should help offset the extra mass of the aluminum chassis.

-Korey
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #1402
Tech Regular

Already have the aluminum drive shafts in the back, and the heiro seiko red screws throughout the car. So i think the only thing is the battery. I am running the Hacker set up for motor and speedo. waiting to see what the handout motor is for IIC because last year the orca motors were like 30grams lighter as well. Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #1403
Tech Master

Just got to say VBCracingusa.com has some of the best customer service i have seen in the 20 years i have been in the hobby. A very very thanks to Troy and crew.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #1404
Tech Master

To those that have run the Aluminum Chassis on carpet, is it that much better than the stock Graphite? The stock chassis is pretty thick and stiff, so I was wondering what the improvement was.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #1405
Tech Rookie

Hi, Before the ISTC 2014 , many other brands are releaseing their new machine ( Yokomo Xray, Tamiya ..etc)

What about VBC? It seems no plan to release new machine.

Is there any one know about it?
accord12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #1406
Tech Master

All I want in a New VBC car is the Spec-r style suspension mounts (The ones with inserts) that xray and AE copied.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #1407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The Dynamics is pretty new, so IDK. New mounts would be great, but I already have all the options so... no biggy to me. I'd like an AE style sway bar. IMO they have the best idea out there. The "new" Xray (that copies others) sway mounts just look ridiculous. I bet every one of those older cars with bearing support sways are now somehow "clones"
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #1408
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
To those that have run the Aluminum Chassis on carpet, is it that much better than the stock Graphite? The stock chassis is pretty thick and stiff, so I was wondering what the improvement was.
I haven't ran the aluminum chassis yet, but yes, it is significantly stiffer than the stock carbon chassis. Word from Dave and others that have tried it is that it is really good on carpet, but you have to be sure and try other setup changes in concert with the aluminum chassis. Don't be afraid to make other changes to try and get the car feel that you are looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord12 View Post
Hi, Before the ISTC 2014 , many other brands are releaseing their new machine ( Yokomo Xray, Tamiya ..etc)

What about VBC? It seems no plan to release new machine.

Is there any one know about it?
I personally do not know of an incoming VBC sedan release, but I am pretty low on the totem pole and typically only hear about new releases a week or two before they are announced on RedRC.

I think I might be the only VBC driver attending worlds (welp!) so that might be part of the reason. We aren't going to have a full factory team there with new cars, sorry.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #1409
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On an exciting side note, the EMR Factory aluminum rear hubs have now been released!

http://vbcracingusa.com/store/emrfac...egree-d06-hubs for the 0.5 degree version

and

http://vbcracingusa.com/store/emrfac...egree-d06-hubs for the 0 degree version

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #1410
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well good luck at the worlds. Any finish near the top mains is a win in my book.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote