Wiki Posts
Search

Chassis Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Chassis Balancing

I'm trying to better setup my touring car and I think I need to concentrate first on balancing the chassis. I have purchased some scales and I know that most people balance using the X configuration which is LR RF RR LF. I've seen people who have spread sheets on their laptops calculate the percentages. Can anyone eloborate on this and if you have the formula or a spread sheet I can build off of it would be greatly appreciated if you could PM me and i'll give you my email addy.

Thx,
Keith
Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

? It's not that complicated. You want a balanced car so that it handles consistently from side to side and some want it front to rear (but that is a tuning option). Use the scales to measure the weight of the car at each tire, adjust the preload to balance the car. If it's way off use chassis weights. Most people have to use chassis weights anyway to get it to legal weight, so use that opportunity to balance the car.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On the Schumacher, there's notches dead center on the underside of the shock towers. I'll get the car setup with ride height, droop, tweak, etc... then use a hex wrench on both sides and lift the car up by both the front and rear at the same time to see if one side is heavier than the other. If it's off a lot, use weights to balance it better. Then use the scales to fine tune it with shock preload. Then re check the tweak on the car after you fine tune it on the scales. It should be flat.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

First, you need to get the chassis weighted evenly. Set the droop so that it hits the droop stops at 5mm ride height, in other words, so there is 0 droop at 5mm ride height. MAke sure it is dead on perfect at each wheel. Now, set the preload on the shocks so there is no sag, none.

Now put the car on the scales. You want the left and right front tires to weigh the same and the left and right rear tires to weigh the same. Add weight to the light side of the chassis until it is even from left to right.

You don't have to repeat the above unless you change components or go to heavier batts or anything else like that.

Now set droop and ride height. Put the car back on the scales. The most important thing here is to get the sum of the left rear corner and right front equal to the sum of the right rear corner and left front corner. With the chassis balanced, it will almost always come out even across the front and even across the rear unless one side is lower than the other.

You can either loosen the preload on the light tire on front or rear or tighten the preload on the opposite corner to set your corner weights.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, and you don't have to use scales. You can use different methods including using something like the MIP tweak station that has a bubble and bar that teater-tots. You just work on one half of the car at a time.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, lastly, make sure you do these steps without any sway bars attached. Sway bars will affect it and sometimes in the opposite way. Just reattach them after all your tweaking is done.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey everyone thanks for the input. I'll try the recommendations given.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only thing wrong with a question like this is, and this thread already proves this, you ask 10 people how to do this, you'll get at least 9 different methods.