R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #1051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for all the help w/ my setup, -turns out lowering my rear diff oil weight to 1000k (from 3000k) did the trick. I had tons of grip, was fast, performed great AND was able to score 3rd in the 17.5 "A Main" -all w/ a 2013 era H4!! -the top two spots ran TC7's.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #1052
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van

Good to hear and congrats for the 3rd place!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #1053
Tech Master

-thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #1054
Tech Elite

No problem, by the way, did you felt that the car started to diff out?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #1055
Tech Master

Quote:
No problem, by the way, did you felt that the car started to diff out?
No, not at all,
in fact it ran the best it has ever ran, i would say my setup is perfect and to my liking. My only issue now is I feel I can improve my driving skill and could go w/ a stronger motor. My motor is pretty maxed out, -running about 175degrees and don't recall my fdr offhand but I cant increase my speed anymore for fear of pushing my motor over the edge of 190degrees and beyond. I think the 1 and 2 placed cars could be a tad quicker than mine...BUT could be their driving skills are better. However the 3rd I got still isn't bad, and its definitely something I can work with.

What motors do you guys recommend for 17.5 spec/stock class? I am running a Reedy 17.5 right now. The motor has 2 full seasons on it. I was looking at the R1 V7 and V11, -yet not sure the real difference. V11 may not be ROAR legal though (yet) as its still new.

anyway, going to race w/ my current setup and motor one more time then decide if I want to stick w/ my current motor or change it out. I have to look at my calendar but I think my next race day will be 1st week of August. In the meantime just getting some practice laps in.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #1056
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

any of the short stack motors are good for 17.5. most guys around the tracks i run use the trinity 24k or the motiv motors.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #1057
Tech Elite

Which timing and FDR you're currently at?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #1058
Tech Master

Quote:
any of the short stack motors are good for 17.5. most guys around the tracks i run use the trinity 24k or the motiv motors.
Yes, the TRinitiy 24k's were all the rage at the beginning of our season, ...everyone had to have one. Yet seems most people aren't running them anymore (at least at our track). I never got one, kind of glad I waited to see what everyone is settling on ...but mid season now and still haven't done anything -LOL. To be honest I kind of liked that my setup was 3 years old and that I haven't poured a ton of money into this like a lot of the other guys. Its just now that I am actually doing really well w/ it I am starting to think maybe it wouldn't hurt to spend a little $$. My battery however is a nice ProTek 110c 5400MAH and I always run new tires every other race day.

Quote:
Which timing and FDR you're currently at?
My motor on my H4:
Reedy Sonic 17.5 (has a solid 2 1/2 seasons of racing on the motor)

Timing is set to 36-37 degrees (after a 6min main temps are around 170-175 degrees)

My FDR is around 3.9 - 4.1 ...yet i am at work now and can't recall my gearing off-hand (I switch it around a lot ...yet my last several races i've kept it the same). I'll give you the exact FDR once I can look at my car)

--------------
When I turn my timing up to 40 or more w/ this FDR my temps get to 195 territory and my car starts to cog/stutter on take off a little. I noticed this after a 3 min practice run so turned timing back down.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #1059
Tech Elite

And where you are loosing to the top drivers? It's acceleration or top speed? The FDR and timing look good actually, most here seem to be better with lower FDR and lower timing.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #1060
Tech Master

Quote:
And where you are loosing to the top drivers?
that is tough, to be honest, probably my driving! Seriously, ..I could run a tighter line. I had a lot of good laps, some great laps but a few that were not as good. I think that whenever you are competing for the top spots (I am leading our Mini class for points right now), you look at a loss as something w/ your car. When a lot of times its just your skill.

I think i'll keep my current setup and motor, -I was able to get 3rd w/ it. I was doing a bit of back and forth w/ the #2 spot ....like I said, you always want to go faster (to compensate for not driving the tightest line).

Good to know that my FDR and timing are all good. I think i'll save $100bucks for now. (I just spent a bunch on a new motor and esc for my F1 and Mini)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #1061
Tech Master

to answer your question, my acceleration seems good to me ...my top speed is probably good ...but I'd still like to go faster!! ...but no one was passing my on the straights/nor was I pulling away.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #1062
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
to answer your question, my acceleration seems good to me ...my top speed is probably good ...but I'd still like to go faster!! ...but no one was passing my on the straights/nor was I pulling away.
Then it all boils down to driving
Old 07-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #1063
Tech Master

Quote:
Then it all boils down to driving
yes, most likely.

...hey, there is a new in box H4 on fleaBay for $229 ...its being sold from a reputable store (that I've ordered parts from). Tempting ...yet I don't need another H4, but still very tempting ...even to use as a spare parts set.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

Can't help you with that, I buy second hand exclusively. Buying another car from dead platform doesn't seem very sound, that money could buy you a nice Yokomo/Tamiya/Xray second hand.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #1065
Tech Master

...got another 3rd place in the A-Main, -we had two mains (B and A). So 3rd overall out of like 18 drivers. Very happy about that! I actually have a very good chance of placing for the season points total and a trophy at the end of the year

My car ran great, and a few people came up to my pit to see what I am racing. Everyone was amazed that its a 3 or 4 year old discontinued H4. Only one guy had even heard of the car. One thing I did this last race was removed my 1mm wheel spacers ...that gave me a bit more turning and less pushing.

I feel really comfortable driving this car, -in the top 3 spots it was a close race and it was really apparent to me that my car is fine and that the top 2 drivers were just taking tighter lines. I had most the turns down, but one kept throwing me off and as a result was taking it a bit wider than I could have.

Quote:
...Buying another car from dead platform doesn't seem very sound, that money could buy you a nice Yokomo/Tamiya/Xray second hand.
Yeah, I kind of agree, but the price is tempting and I love that I am using an old discontinued car to whip all the TC7's and Xrays at our club!! ...not sure what i'll do for next year. Continue w/ my H4 or just go for an Xray or TC7???? I own both manufacturers in other classes and both are great cars and have great support. ...oh well, will decide in the winter!