R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #751
Tech Regular
 
rcwck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default DJ tip

I've been applying heat shrink to the drives for some time now with good results. This adds a bit of strength, keeps lube inside and clips in place.
Attached Thumbnails
HoBao H4E Pro touring car kit-hs-drives.jpg  
__________________
Crew chief: "It's suppose to work, if not we'll do the complete opposite".
"Team Medicare"
https://www.facebook.com/#!/hobbystopwest

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #752
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
I've been applying heat shrink to the drives for some time now with good results. This adds a bit of strength, keeps lube inside and clips in place.
Thats a good idea, what lube do you put in them?

Do you put the heatshrink over both clips or just the one visible on the outside?
hipwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #753
Tech Regular
 
rcwck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipwell View Post
Thats a good idea, what lube do you put in them?

Do you put the heatshrink over both clips or just the one visible on the outside?
Usually black moly lube and it has been considered the best for lube, adhesion and anti-wear properties for years.

Yes, the shrink actually wraps around the other end of the center cylinder a bit.
__________________
Crew chief: "It's suppose to work, if not we'll do the complete opposite".
"Team Medicare"
https://www.facebook.com/#!/hobbystopwest

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #754
Tech Master
 
Taffyjnr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 1,995
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Hi,
Had my first run Saturday night car handled well but electronics failed in the second qualifier and it was night over.......
__________________
Serpent ERYX 4.0
Sworkz EVO LE/OS Speed
Sworkz EVO 2/Hobbywing
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #755
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fox Cities WI
Posts: 109
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

I read all through the thread but couldn't get a definite answer on what gearing to try, I will be running USGT with a 21.5 and I think I'm going to try that shorty 2s battery. I would like to use 64p gears if anyone has the p/n of the ones that work on this car, it just says X-ray or hpi in the manual I think guys have been around 3.90 at my track on gearing
gtxcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #756
Tech Regular
 
edonsohc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: edon ohio
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

XRA305862. that's a 92t.
__________________
Tekno sct410.3, tekin gen2 rx8, hobbywing 4700kv motor, savox 1258.
Tekno EB48.3sl, 4000kv hobbywing on 3s.
Losi scb, mmp, bhr 10.5 motor.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #757
Tech Regular
 
edonsohc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: edon ohio
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

ran both my cars today in vta and usgt @ the throttle junkies race at Summit rc. finished 2nd in usgt and forth in vta. Broke a front axle and finished the race with 3wd in vta. it actually snapped the shaft. the cvd is still intact. anyway, the real reason for this post is, the 4.4x2mm o rings are not leaking in the diff. hopefully that is the size that will take care of the leaks.

as for the aluminum chassis I'm trying to build, I'm still waiting on my aluminum to come in. hopefully this week it will arrive and I can start drilling.
__________________
Tekno sct410.3, tekin gen2 rx8, hobbywing 4700kv motor, savox 1258.
Tekno EB48.3sl, 4000kv hobbywing on 3s.
Losi scb, mmp, bhr 10.5 motor.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #758
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonsohc View Post
ran both my cars today in vta and usgt @ the throttle junkies race at Summit rc. finished 2nd in usgt and forth in vta. Broke a front axle and finished the race with 3wd in vta. it actually snapped the shaft. the cvd is still intact. anyway, the real reason for this post is, the 4.4x2mm o rings are not leaking in the diff. hopefully that is the size that will take care of the leaks.

as for the aluminum chassis I'm trying to build, I'm still waiting on my aluminum to come in. hopefully this week it will arrive and I can start drilling.
Sounds good, cant wait to try mine.

Dont suppose youve got a part number for those o rings have you?

Im trying to get all the weak points ironed out before i actually build it after christmas. Got some gen 3 shafts, losi shock bladders, tamiya damper bushings so i just want to get the diff sorted now.
hipwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #759
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonsohc View Post
ran both my cars today in vta and usgt @ the throttle junkies race at Summit rc. finished 2nd in usgt and forth in vta. Broke a front axle and finished the race with 3wd in vta. it actually snapped the shaft. the cvd is still intact. anyway, the real reason for this post is, the 4.4x2mm o rings are not leaking in the diff. hopefully that is the size that will take care of the leaks.

as for the aluminum chassis I'm trying to build, I'm still waiting on my aluminum to come in. hopefully this week it will arrive and I can start drilling.
Congrats on the race! +1 on the part# for those O-rings.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #760
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fox Cities WI
Posts: 109
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

It's a common size in any metric oring assortment like ATD tools local auto parts stores have them
gtxcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #761
Tech Regular
 
edonsohc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: edon ohio
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxcowboy View Post
It's a common size in any metric oring assortment like ATD tools local auto parts stores have them
yep. I just bought a metric o ring kit and it had the 4.4x2mm size in it. says R-02 on the box. but I don't know if that's a universal part number or specific to that brand. should be able to go to any parts store or hardware store and find the correct o rings by the size. I've only got one race day on it, so I don't know if it's a fix or not. I know w/ the stock o rings, they would leak after one run. so it is better if based upon that.
__________________
Tekno sct410.3, tekin gen2 rx8, hobbywing 4700kv motor, savox 1258.
Tekno EB48.3sl, 4000kv hobbywing on 3s.
Losi scb, mmp, bhr 10.5 motor.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #762
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,315
Default

"How did you fix it? Did you buy bigger o rings for the outdrives? If so do you have a part number?"

I fixed the leaking diff by taking the entire diff and all pieces inside apart. Cleaned and removed all oil, then dried. I then put back together. Its been several weeks and no leaks. This process was mentioned on an earlier post on this thread, so I can't take credit. Some also recommend using green slime on the outdrive o rings, yet I didn't do that.

I believe that over time oil has a way of seeping out where the o rings are. Once dried it stops the flow of oil leaking. I don't think its a permanant fix, yet should hold up for awhile. At first sign of leaks I'll just repeat.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #763
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 104
Default

Great thanks. I will just build it and see how it goes if not i will look into new o rings.

What size are the standard ones?

4.4 x 2 doesnt seem so common.

Most RC companies who sell o rings only seem to do 4 x 2 rather than a 4.4.
hipwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #764
Tech Regular
 
edonsohc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: edon ohio
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipwell View Post
Great thanks. I will just build it and see how it goes if not i will look into new o rings.

What size are the standard ones?

4.4 x 2 doesnt seem so common.

Most RC companies who sell o rings only seem to do 4 x 2 rather than a 4.4.
stock is 5x2mm. the 4.4x2mm was in a metric o-ring kit I bought. got it for less than $14. it has sizes smaller and much larger than the 4.4x2mm. harbor freight might be a good place to check for a cheaper and smaller kit. the name on the kit I bought is performance tool.

I've got to replace an axle tonight so I'll check to see if the diff is leaking. I put my cars in my pit bag on their sides and the diff usually leaked down. hopefully all will be dry still.
__________________
Tekno sct410.3, tekin gen2 rx8, hobbywing 4700kv motor, savox 1258.
Tekno EB48.3sl, 4000kv hobbywing on 3s.
Losi scb, mmp, bhr 10.5 motor.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #765
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonsohc View Post
stock is 5x2mm. the 4.4x2mm was in a metric o-ring kit I bought. got it for less than $14. it has sizes smaller and much larger than the 4.4x2mm. harbor freight might be a good place to check for a cheaper and smaller kit. the name on the kit I bought is performance tool.

I've got to replace an axle tonight so I'll check to see if the diff is leaking. I put my cars in my pit bag on their sides and the diff usually leaked down. hopefully all will be dry still.
Cool keep us posted mate.

Strange that a smaller o ring seems to be working better, I thought people were trying to find one with a larger outer diameter.

Would a 4x2 fit? I can pick a pack of those up of the shelf without having to buy a selection.
hipwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:35 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0