R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #691
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just got back from the usvta southern nationals. I qualified 5th in the sportsman vta class and ended up winning the sportsman a-main with my h4. the crazy thing is, if I would have ran pro vta I would have qualified for the b-main. I did break a couple front hubs even worth my extra large bumper. but they were hard hits. over all car did great.
Ofna H4E, vta, usgt, & 17.5 tc
Spratt's Hobby Center, Hillsdale Michigan.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #692
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonsohc View Post
I just got back from the usvta southern nationals. I qualified 5th in the sportsman vta class and ended up winning the sportsman a-main with my h4. the crazy thing is, if I would have ran pro vta I would have qualified for the b-main. I did break a couple front hubs even worth my extra large bumper. but they were hard hits. over all car did great.
Congrats! This my first season officially with the kit I hoping on doing some good racing.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 AM   #693
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scytherat View Post
Whos running the aluminium front hubs or c hubs? How are you getting on with them, do you find you break more of the part you arent running in aluminium
I have been running the alum chubs w/stock plastic spindles. That combo has been good for me. The chub might bend on a hard hit but it is easily put back into alignment without disassemble. You can usually tell when the chub is bent because handling changes a bit but you can still finish the race. It is easily viewed from the top to see the twist.

The only thing is about the bearing fit into the aluminum part. I make sure the bearing is a snug finger push fit.

I also like the alum rear hubs.

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #694
Tech Regular

RCWCK you seem to have success with the H4E would you mine posting your set up?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #695
Tech Regular

Quote:
Good job, Congrats!

We are about to start the winter indoor season at Hobby Stop West in Northwood Ohio.

The track carpet has been stretched and lengthened by 4 feet. All boards have been repaired and repainted.

The first road race is Oct 12th. VTA and USGT will no doubt be our biggest groups. Hope you can attend.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #696
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
RCWCK you seem to have success with the H4E would you mine posting your set up?
I do love this sedan. I have tried most of the other big dollar chassis cars and this one is my fav.

I have come to believe there is a handling advantage running a shorty lipo with the esc right behind the lipo. You have to add some ballast right down the center line of the chassis to bring it up to legal weight. The car is almost perfectly balanced left to right on the beam with this layout. I think the CG and roll is better with this config also. The car is very quick to respond to steering input.

Impotent Stuff:
Front: gray springs, 10-20wt(Associated)and 3 hole piston. Rear: white springs, 25wt and 3 hole piston. 2 degrees camber all around. Much more rear droop than in front. Spool up front and 1K cst in rear diff. Like shocks laid down. Run Sorex tires in sedan if allowed and Speed6 body.
Attached Thumbnails
HoBao H4E Pro touring car kit-dscf1328small.jpg  

^^^ <>< ^^^

Last edited by rcwck; 09-30-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: MoInfo
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #697
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
Good job, Congrats!

We are about to start the winter indoor season at Hobby Stop West in Northwood Ohio.

The track carpet has been stretched and lengthened by 4 feet. All boards have been repaired and repainted.

The first road race is Oct 12th. VTA and USGT will no doubt be our biggest groups. Hope you can attend.
thanks! Sam and I were up to Northwood the weekend before we went to Nashville. Track looks great. I left a few scuffs on the boards too. lol. we'll be heading up your way soon. hoping to make the first race as long as the wife doesn't have anything else planned.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #698
Tech Regular

Quote:
Front: gray springs, 10-20wt(Associated)and 3 hole piston. Rear: white springs, 25wt and 3 hole piston. 2 degrees camber all around. Much more rear droop than in front. Spool up front and 1K cst in rear diff. Like shocks laid down. Run Sorex tires in sedan if allowed and Speed6 body.
gray soft springs in the front? curious if this is right and the reasoning behind it?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #699
Tech Regular

Quote:
gray soft springs in the front? curious if this is right and the reasoning behind it?
I like lotsa turn in and especially the spec USGT tire tends to push for me. 10wt up front for USGT and 20wt for the sedan. Both using gray springs up front. Shocks are laid down pretty flat.

If you are satisfied with the turn in then there's no reason to change your set up.

Hope to see ya next weekend for the opener.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #700
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
I like lotsa turn in and especially the spec USGT tire tends to push for me. 10wt up front for USGT and 20wt for the sedan. Both using gray springs up front. Shocks are laid down pretty flat.

If you are satisfied with the turn in then there's no reason to change your set up.

Hope to see ya next weekend for the opener.
makes sense. thanks. I'm planning on coming for the season opener too. c-ya soon.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #701
Tech Regular

I'm having an issue with scrub when I turn on a neutral roll the car doesn't roll freely it tends to slow down like I have drag brake but I don't. When I'm going straight and go neutral it continues to roll freely but when I lock the wheels in either direction on a neutral roll it slow down significantly. Me and some other guys help me check the chassis for anything obvious, but mechanically sound. That's why I asked for the setup. Tips fellas?
Old 10-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #702
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm having an issue with scrub when I turn on a neutral roll the car doesn't roll freely it tends to slow down like I have drag brake but I don't. When I'm going straight and go neutral it continues to roll freely but when I lock the wheels in either direction on a neutral roll it slow down significantly. Me and some other guys help me check the chassis for anything obvious, but mechanically sound. That's why I asked for the setup. Tips fellas?
mine did the same thing when I had the steering turned all the way up. I put mine on the car stand and blipped the throttle and turned the wheels while it coasted. it would come to a stop real quick. I dialed the steering back. it didn't take much in my case and I didn't lose any real steering either. this car has more steering than any other car I've ever driven.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #703
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes, lotsa steering will slow the car especially with a spool up front. A diff up front will allow the car to roll into the corner better. Thicker rear diff fluid will also have a breaking effect on turn in. I like the car with this characteristic, but I charge the corners pretty hard. Low power classes might like a diff up front if it suites your driving style.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 10-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #704
Tech Rookie

This kit looks very nice. I'm still a noob with my HPI S2 brushed kit bashing around a course we set up at work. I have been looking at upgrades for the S2 to get rid of the steering slop so that I can play with the alignment but it would actually be cheaper to just get this kit than try and get the S2 close to these standards. I just don't know if I'm too much of a noob for this type of kit. The RTR kit suits my skill level and the time/money I have to put into it when things break. But I would love to have something a little better with no slop and better precision.
Ludachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #705
Tech Master

if I didn't race in a club I wouldn't need this kit, and I would have just as much fun with a less expensive kit for parking lot fun. For parking lot fun differences in car setup and a bit of slop, etc seem to not be very noticeable or detract from the fun factor. The other thing that concerns me is running an open geared car in a parking lot. There is too much debris that can easily get in the gears and cause havoc. For parking lot i'd strictly run a closed gear setup (but that is me).

This is a very high quality kit, I use mine strictly for club racing and will only run it on a clean track (no parking lot debris, etc).
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote