R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #151
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins sr View Post
I use to run a tc6.1 decked out with the rsd chassis, and don't get me wrong it is a good car but they are fragile and in a hard hit on a corner when you break an arm the bulkheads will bend too that can get costly, I haven't ran my He4 yet tomorrow night is our season opener so I will shake it down then, but as far as fit and finish there is no comparison the ofna's seems to be a lot tighter and more soild and thought out more design is of a higher end car. Just my 2 cents for you.
I will print the set up sheet for you tomorrow or try email again at work..
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Thanks
jeff jenkins sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #153
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I loved my last car (RSD TC6.1), but wanted to try something new.

Since our local carpet track (TQ RC) always has tons of guys trying out cutting edge stuff, I've had a chance to compare a lot of different platforms before making a decision. After evaluating everything, I chose the H4e over all the other options for a few reasons:
  • Remarkable build quality and value
  • Modern suspension geometry
  • Lightweight and durable
  • Great parts support for US market

Build quality:
Plenty of cars are produced in China (including AE and Spec R). While the quality of Chinese production has improved over the years, it still isn't quite at the level of countries with more mature manufacturing industries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan or even Slovakia.

The H4e is produced in Taiwan and the high quality of production is VERY clear once you see the kit in person. The machining is very good, and the plastic molding is as precise as you'll see in any sedan. This is really crucial when the tolerance requirements often come under a millimeter.

At the $350-$400 (street) price point, you don't really have a lot of high quality options for competition level sedans. TC6 comes closest but even then, it's built in China and the build quality isn't quite there (I've owned three). For instance: Out of the box, the TC6 motor mount needs shims underneath to take out tweak since the mount is always machined a little imprecisely. The bulkheads can sometimes be crooked out of the box (lay them out on a setup board). The steering turnbuckles will rub against the front bulkheads in extreme angles (hairpins or certain ackerman settings).

With the H4, you're getting the build quality of high end kits for a mid-range price. From my observations, the H4 is better built than anything else in the same price range.

Modern suspension geometry
Starting just before the Xray T4, the trend in touring car design has been to lower the center of gravity even more than before in order to increase corner speed. For the current generation, short shocks and low shock towers have been popular.

Narrow chassis and keeping weight mounted as close to the center as possible are also seen as competitive design points. Of course, a floating servo mount is also considered a high priority as well.

The H4 incorporates all these features into its design.

Lightweight and durable
The designers put a lot of thought into reducing as much weight as possible for this kit while retaining strength. The floating servo mount has material milled out in areas where durability would not be sacrificed and lightweight materials are used where it counts. The drivetrain, including the spool and gear diff, is impressively light.

For example, the slipper spool on the TC6 weighs in at 17.9g. The spool on the H4e weighs in at 12.3g; the H4e spool is lighter by 5.6 grams.

Great parts support for US market
With both performance shops and big shops (even Tower!) carrying the H4, Ofna has done a great job so far getting their products out in the US market. I can only hope they will continue this momentum and increase support for us racers. Some other brands such Yokomo/Spec-R/Capricorn/Serpent/3 Racing are a bit more specialized and aren't always carried in local shops.

To sum up, all these factors guided my choice. In the capable hands of our local OFNA test driver, it's impressive to see the H4e keeping up with all of the usual fastest favorites including BD7, T4, 417.
silencery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #154
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencery View Post
Here is the setup sheet for a med-high grip carpet track on the latest TQ RC layout: http://www.tqrcracing.com/user/user_...SetupSheet.pdf
It displays fine for me on PC Win7 and the hated IE.

I think there is one more tuning option missing. It's the outboard camber link shim. The build instruction shows a 1mm shim f & r.

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Went out for the first race with the car today. The car is great box stock. The only changes I made was green front springs,20wt shock oil and laid the front shocks down one hole. Finished 3rd in the main behind two of the extremely fast guys. I am really impressed with it and can't wait to dial in in even more.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #156
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
It displays fine for me on PC Win7 and the hated IE.

I think there is one more tuning option missing. It's the outboard camber link shim. The build instruction shows a 1mm shim f & r.
Dammit, you're right. Gotta make another revision. haha. Thanks for catching that.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #157
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
Went out for the first race with the car today. The car is great box stock. The only changes I made was green front springs,20wt shock oil and laid the front shocks down one hole. Finished 3rd in the main behind two of the extremely fast guys. I am really impressed with it and can't wait to dial in in even more.
Sweet! congrats! How has the car performed against the other sedans you've tried so far?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Is changing spurs easy? Do kimbroughs work or you need slimmer spurs? Green monster everywhere at our track.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #159
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Is changing spurs easy? Do kimbroughs work or you need slimmer spurs? Green monster everywhere at our track.
I think Kimbrough spurs are typically for ball diff type cars. They lack the holes to access the rear motor mount screw. X-Ray and HPI spurs are suggested as being compatible.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #160
Tech Regular

Chris, yeah, we've got green monsters everywhere!

Changing spurs isn't bad. Requires you to slip off the front belt from the pulley and removal of six upper deck screws. Not any harder or easier than a TC6.

Kimbroughs are too thick to fit the spur mount.

In terms of areas of maintenance I think they could improve, the motor mount adjustment could be better. The design requires you to fasten the rear motor screw THROUGH the spur which may or may not work depending on the brand you're using. I've been using x-ray spurs (as the manual recommends) with no issues.

On a separate but somewhat related note, I like that adjusting the drivetrain is SUPER easy. The c-hub uses 1 piece kingpin screws instead of a 2 piece screw/bushing design which means you don't need to do any tricky balancing to install or remove hubs.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #161
Tech Regular

Default dcj front drives-n-stuff

I had to shim the outer ball bearings .6mm in the steering knuckles because the wheel hex drives had extreme end play and they actually rubbed on the knuckle instead of running against the bearing. I used 2 8x10x.3mm shims behind each outer bearing. Those shims made everything work correctly with just a few thousands end play.

Anyone else's build?

Heat shrink around the dcj coupler/retaining clip is working just great with no rubbing on the chub or knuckle at full steering lock. This car is super smooooooth.

I really like this car and is on par with my Serpent S411 Eryx for lap times if not a bit quicker. There is virtually zero slop in the steering and all the suspension linkage.

One other note. I had to replace all 4 of the droop adjusting set srews as they appear to be rather soft as two of the hex sockets actually stripped out. It might be that the holes in the lower arms for these screws are on the too tight side. You might want to run a 3mm tap before installing these screws.
Attached Thumbnails
HoBao H4E Pro touring car kit-p1000863-2.jpg  

^^^ <>< ^^^

Last edited by rcwck; 09-22-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: pic uploaded
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #162
Tech Adept

All this talk is making me super excited to get my car. Are spring tuning sets available or are people using springs from other cars
scytherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencery View Post
Sweet! congrats! How has the car performed against the other sedans you've tried so far?
I have had pretty much all of the brands. The X-Ray was always good right out of the box and so is this. Recently I had an Mi5 and a 417v5 and I like it much better than either of those by far!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #164
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post

I am using X-ray spurs. It looks like panaracer will fit too.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scytherat View Post
All this talk is making me super excited to get my car. Are spring tuning sets available or are people using springs from other cars
The car comes with white mediums. Green hards and grey softs are available.