Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Drivers eventually peak, so maybe it's time for Tamiya to part ways with Marc..
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Marc is returning to the place where he won his first Worlds this year. There is no doubt that he will once again be fighting for the top slot. He is a brilliant driver, just look at the times he was posting in off road A-final pace mostly. He might not be winning for the last few races, but as we all know racing is a game where anything can happen. I lost 2 races recently due to faulty tyres and bad driving etiquette.

Also ss mentioned before, you can never underestimate the importance of the track side designer. Kiyo will be there for a fair few of the events this year with Marc and the other TRF guys. Lets see how it goes then. I think Marc rightly says in the interview below.. Never give up!

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/12/ra...-rheinard.html

Anyway, back to the car..

I have been experimenting with a slightly different set-up, I have won the local club event for the last few weeks by a clear lap ( +7.5 seconds) I will post it up soon. Needless to say I am really enjoying this TRF, its the easiest to drive on carpet for a very long time. I was hoping to give it a spin outside today at Halifax but the wife has put her foot down.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Post your setup, I'm interested to see what you're running. I've favored my trf418 over the bd7 on carpet for the meantime. To be fair to the bd7 I didn't do much of a setup, just base. Overall I seem to enjoy driving the trf418 more.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Hello guys!
Are there yet in the market optionals stabilzer bars for 418 car?
I don't find anywere.

King regards.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

got the trf418... awesome car, but need parts... need the 37t gear that goes on the spool for the belt and the plastic bumper holder that uses 3 countersunk screws and the body posts
where cn I order parts?
Eric
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys

The last 2 days I was able to finally get the 418 test on a small indoor track. Looking to the setup I have found one. Very good on the track are Suspension Blocks C and XC in front, rear XA and D.

2mm Shims front and rear 4mm. Tires were the REX 25. Drop 1.5 and 2 degrees and Damper Position fourth hole front and rear as well.

The car goes very well on carpet. Was very satisfied.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

I'm getting most of my parts from Hong Kong. Stellamodels and RC Mushroom are two of the shops that I find reliable.

Still a bit confused by my TRF418. It does go well, but all my attempts to improve rear grip with setup are going nowhere, transmitter settings is the only thing that is having a consistent result.

Tried the XC/C rear blocks, 6 degree front caster, and old-style rear hubs yesterday, none of which appeared to generate more rear grip as I was expecting. Went back to kit geometry and the car was better! Tyres may well be past their best in all fairness.

Outdoor season starts next so we'll see how the car goes in those conditions. Should also be able to do a bit more testing than I can on carpet.

PS Not a fan of the 6 degree blocks compared to the 4's, you can't get the 0.7mm spacer in, but they are sloppy without it - would need some custom shimming. Since the 0.7 spacer doesn't fit the roll centre geometry is also going to be slightly different (might bolt it on top instead).
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge

PS Not a fan of the 6 degree blocks compared to the 4's, you can't get the 0.7mm spacer in, but they are sloppy without it - would need some custom shimming. Since the 0.7 spacer doesn't fit the roll centre geometry is also going to be slightly different (might bolt it on top instead).

try a .5mm or .3mm shim instead to kill the slop (can't remember which one i used since i went back to the old 4deg chub anyway)... the .7mm shim goes on top, outside the C-hub to retain the geometry. hths
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
I'm getting most of my parts from Hong Kong. Stellamodels and RC Mushroom are two of the shops that I find reliable.

Still a bit confused by my TRF418. It does go well, but all my attempts to improve rear grip with setup are going nowhere, transmitter settings is the only thing that is having a consistent result.

Tried the XC/C rear blocks, 6 degree front caster, and old-style rear hubs yesterday, none of which appeared to generate more rear grip as I was expecting. Went back to kit geometry and the car was better! Tyres may well be past their best in all fairness.

Outdoor season starts next so we'll see how the car goes in those conditions. Should also be able to do a bit more testing than I can on carpet.

As mentioned before, you may need to move the shims, I found the plastic 6 deg hubs were a little hit and miss on the sizes as to which shim to fit, but the carbon re-enforced ones were cool.

As to set-up, I will post mine, although I must emphasise that the HPI springs really helped the feel of the car.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am looking for shock collars off the 415. They are black and the knurling is a lot thinner than that current collars. If anyone has some they would like to sell, PM me. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicky03
I was wondering if anyone could help. I am looking for shock collars off the 415. They are black and the knurling is a lot thinner than that current collars. If anyone has some they would like to sell, PM me. Thanks!
I've had tamiyas from the 414 days. All the shock collars fit.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys I just got my kit in the mail and was wondering if you do anything with the bearings? On my off road kits I would usually blow the bearings out and put oil in them. Do you guys do the same? I took one cover off a bearing and it actually looked like it didnt have grease in it?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I've had tamiyas from the 414 days. All the shock collars fit.
I think he means the black plastic collars that are thinner. Let's you run lower without needing the down type retainers.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickGroves
Hey guys I just got my kit in the mail and was wondering if you do anything with the bearings? On my off road kits I would usually blow the bearings out and put oil in them. Do you guys do the same? I took one cover off a bearing and it actually looked like it didnt have grease in it?

grease would be too sticky for on-road, imho. i usually put all my bearings in a film canister along with some brake cleaner, then watch though a couple of commercial breaks while shaking the can... after that i dump the bearings out, let them dry, then put a couple of drops of bearing oil.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
grease would be too sticky for on-road, imho. i usually put all my bearings in a film canister along with some brake cleaner, then watch though a couple of commercial breaks while shaking the can... after that i dump the bearings out, let them dry, then put a couple of drops of bearing oil.
I was going threw them all and didnt really see any grease in them like I do my off road stuff and they spin free on the spool and gear diff so im not going to mess with them...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.