Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I have a set of 6 deg hubs to try as well.

Was the track carpet or asphalt? any set-up pointers?
I'm interested to know too. I just got some replacement hubs and also ordered a set of the 6 degree hubs as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I'm using a 0.2mm shim on each side with panaracer spur. Play is perfect with this setup
Thanks will try different spur
Old 01-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Thanks will try different spur
The play was the same with the tamiya spur too
Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by c2tcardin
I'm interested to know too. I just got some replacement hubs and also ordered a set of the 6 degree hubs as well.
The track was carpet with medium to high grip, i don't know how the car would have worked with the 4° hubs as it wasn't on the track i normally run.
This will be tested this thursday on our club track to see the difference in handling and laptimes between the 4° & 6° hubs.
I haven't changed anything to my setup when switching to 6° hubs.
I will keep you informed about the difference.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cj72
My tb04 didn't require spacers on the 6 degree hub but did on the 4 degree carbon hub.
+1 I build the carbon 6° hubs (#54546!) into my TRF and the steering knuckles snug fit in there without the .7mm shim. So I added the shim on top of the hub to have the same rollcenter as with the 4° hubs.

I only drove the car once since I put the 6° hubs in and that was on a track I didn't know before, so I can't really tell what difference it makes.

Theoreticaly, as a general guideline, one could use a little less camber on the front with the 6° hubs. A little math will give a rough estimate of the order of magnitude. When the wheel is straight, there is no influence on the wheels camber by the hubs caster. At a steering angle of 90°, the caster would fully add to negative camber, so the camber would be 2° more negative on the outside wheel if it was "steered" at 90°. At my car I mostly limit the steering angle on the outside wheel to around 15° to 18°, which translates to a negative camber gain of .33° to .4° for the 6° hubs compared to the usual 4° hubs.

So from that theoretical view I would start out testing with about .2° (for a "middle" steering angle) less negative camber on the front axle compared to a "4° hub standard setup". But then again all that theory may help us nothing and we just have to find out about a good setting "empirically" ...

I'd like to hear about your experience with the 6° hubs, even if it comes down to "about the same performance", because I prefer the 6° hubs alone for the possibility to take out the cardans and their bearings without disassembling the steering knuckles.

Christian
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Fellas..... below is a Carpet setup that took a lot of blood, sweat and almost tears. This setup is for stock racing 17.5 or 13.5 expert. Stay with 4 degree castor blocks. Often as racers we tend to want to copy other chassis setups while all cars (other manufacturers) react differently to different changes at different tracks, so get out of your comfort zone and quit using yokomo springs, they are not always the ticket. I believe there are tons of great spring combinations out there, you just have to find them. I used HPI silvers on this setup, if your track is high grip then go to HPI blue, if you want to take some slight roll out of the car then go to to HPI pink front & HPI silver rear which was also quick in testing. Again just because it's carpet it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go and strap on a set of yokomo springs.

The 418 is really good.... just put in the time and you will get there. I am working on a mod setup this week on medium grip carpet so stay tuned, but this will be my base setup to start.

Below is my setup that I believe is fast, carries a lot of corner speed, has lots of grip or traction and turns really well. Try it and let me know what you think.
Attached Files
Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Nice one Sean! At yatabe Hiro put me onto the ride big bore springs, black, purple, and red were all pretty good. I ended up running purple/purple
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, stop copying yokomo springs! We use HPI and Ride springs with a lot of success on carpet. Ride Red in front and HPI silver in rear.

BTW, that looks like an asphalt setup. Hahahaha
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Speaking of springs, the bonus bag came with a set of Black w/ red and a set of Black w/ Yellow markers. Does anyone know which is the Hard set?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c2tcardin
Speaking of springs, the bonus bag came with a set of Black w/ red and a set of Black w/ Yellow markers. Does anyone know which is the Hard set?
Black, with yellow marks = Hard
Black, with no marks = Medium
Black, with red marks = Soft
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Williams
Fellas..... below is a Carpet setup that took a lot of blood, sweat and almost tears. This setup is for stock racing 17.5 or 13.5 expert. Stay with 4 degree castor blocks. Often as racers we tend to want to copy other chassis setups while all cars (other manufacturers) react differently to different changes at different tracks, so get out of your comfort zone and quit using yokomo springs, they are not always the ticket. I believe there are tons of great spring combinations out there, you just have to find them. I used HPI silvers on this setup, if your track is high grip then go to HPI blue, if you want to take some slight roll out of the car then go to to HPI pink front & HPI silver rear which was also quick in testing. Again just because it's carpet it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go and strap on a set of yokomo springs.

The 418 is really good.... just put in the time and you will get there. I am working on a mod setup this week on medium grip carpet so stay tuned, but this will be my base setup to start.

Below is my setup that I believe is fast, carries a lot of corner speed, has lots of grip or traction and turns really well. Try it and let me know what you think.
Sean have you tried Tamiya whites and blues on that track. Very good combo for that level of grip
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Black, with yellow marks = Hard
Black, with no marks = Medium
Black, with red marks = Soft

Are you sure, Yellow markings with tamiya stuff normal means medium?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smartypants
Are you sure, Yellow markings with tamiya stuff normal means medium?
This is from the TRF418 presentation:

TRF418 Bonus Parts
- Damper Springs – soft & hard, 2pcs. each

Anyway doesn't matter what they are called. But of the new springs included with the kit, the car kit blacks are in the middle, then with the bonus parts you get 1 pair stiffer (yellow) and 1 pair softer (red).
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Williams

The link just freezes both of my computers? anyone else having any issues?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.