R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #1216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

All sounds very promising really! I'm happy with mine, I'm nowhere near good enough to match the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
That along with all the updated suspension parts is my guess. All that said, the new x will be a very promising car.
Updated suspension? You mean the new C hubs?
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #1217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For those looking for a softer chassis. I went .3 quicker straight away with the Smokem chassis here in aus. This was on a medium outdoor asphalt track running blinky 13.5. (My home track)
Could not recommend it enough. Have not tested the Samix though...
Dray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #1218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
All sounds very promising really! I'm happy with mine, I'm nowhere near good enough to match the car

Updated suspension? You mean the new C hubs?
yeah, that and the short shocks/towers found on the evo6.
Also expect the layshaft to be like the BD7 2014.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #1219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
yeah, that and the short shocks/towers found on the evo6.
Also expect the layshaft to be like the BD7 2014.
I was told that the cars at the last ETS had std shocks / towers and motor mount although the chassis could well have been softer. (The TRF guys did stay on and test other parts for 2 days after the race though, so it could have been more elaborate things like a mount etc that they tested).

I have heard that the team drivers dont really like low profile shocks / towers, although that may change if they can use std springs.

I would however expect the new car to have the lower profile towers / big bore shocks as it will be something tangible as an upgrade as just a softer chassis and the C-hubs will not be much of a jump.

Personally I race stock, I didn't like the new yok mount for stock, it felt unresponsive compared to the earlier version), I didnt have it for long though as my 418 has just hit the sweet spot for me, helping me have a healthy winning streak at my local club.

Regarding the actual chassis as it stands, I think its responsive to minor changes. The car is much more exact feeling than any of my 417's, and I find than 0.5 shims make a noticeable difference so sometimes I have used 3x0.1 shims to tweak settings. The new C-hubs allow more roll height adjustment as they have a shim on top as well.

The other thing is other than Ronald who is on a different planet at the moment the Tamiya guys are right behind and then it seems to be the rest. I think most of this is due to the large entourage that follow the Yokomo team to every event over the last 2 years helping them refine set-up etc. Its telling this year that Tamiya has started to bring more of their drivers together at larger meetings that they seem to have got quicker.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #1220
Tech Regular

I have been using the 2.1mm soft chassis by Bezerk RC and car worked perfectly even when track was up to 118deg f.
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #1221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The most striking things about Volkers yokomo at the Reedy was 1) how much testing they did (running two different cars every session), 2) how after all that they returned to the stock parts, and 3) how much more rip Ronald had in a straight line if he wanted it.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #1222
Tech Elite

He definitely does have some serious top end with the X20/flow combo.

I wonder how much cross checking the other teams do - fro example, when the TRF boys stayed behind at Luxembourg, would they do something radical like run a yoko in full volker spec to see if they can match his times? Or possibly swap his electronics into their car and see what it can do?

You'd be pretty peeved to stick an off the shelf X20 and flow into the car and run faster.....!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #1223
Tech Elite

His car wasn't that much faster than everyone else. I told my pit guy it looked like he hand a "push to pass" button in there, and used it like twice over the 13 rounds I watched. Mark Dawson later wrote the same thing, and he and I didnt talk about it beforehand, so I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it.

Back in his heyday, Kinwald used to look like that - but he legitimately had more motor than everyone else.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #1224
Tech Elite

Interesting. Would be cool to know how it's set up (if it is indeed)

Can't see any way other than a dial switch for, say, end point.

Would be odd though.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:01 AM   #1225
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guy's

Looking back at the ETS in Luxemburg Ronald's car was not faster on the main straight that is an uphill one but had more corner speed and traction.
I don't think that the Yokomo is so much superior to the TRF or why are there not more Yokomo's in front off the Tamiya.
I personly think the major factor in this is Umino.
Ronald is the only non Japanes factory driver who get's shock's build by Umino till now.
And I'm certain that the TRF Boys did already build the same spec car as Ronald's one and made a back to back test.
They are closing the gap but will they be there till the world's ?
toroloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #1226
Tech Elite

It's possible (likely even) he just had more motor than everyone else, and never showed it till he needed it. Secret weapon hidden in plain sight.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #1227
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or maybe like the old days................overgeared and only using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle unless you really needed it.
Rodney Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #1228
Tech Apprentice

Hi All, i think the Yok is complimenting Ronalds diving style a little more than others. My insight is that it's not one factor, it's the combination of everything they do which drives their success. There is no silver bullet.
Reese Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 AM   #1229
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Racer View Post
Or maybe like the old days................overgeared and only using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle unless you really needed it.
They were the days!
Gtr r34 m-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #1230
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Racer View Post
I don't think that would help your acceleration much.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7