I'm new to 1/10th TC as well. I'm 35 and racing RC for the first time since a very small foray when I was 15! Chucking myself in the deepens.
I'm running a TRF418 in 13.5t blinky, as far a changes from box stock I have the following as I wanted to build "my" ultimate 418 (based on the stock chassis anyway);
- Titanium and blue aluminium screws - they look cooler (and save a very marginal amount of weight). I even tracked down some 2.6mm x 8mm ones
you don't need these to be under
- Red Orings in the diff - not needed, but apparently leak less. Consumable item.
- 1600wt diff oil - 900 from the kit would probably be okay, but it's a consumable anyway.
- 50wt shock oil - similar to above the 400 from the kit would be okay, consumable.
- Ride Red springs - springs are a tuning tool, and pretty much anyone and everyone is running ride red or HPI silver, so why wouldn't i
- TRF ball nut and titanium hollow set screws - make removing shocks ever so slightly easier to remove. Not required to go fast.
- TRF low friction damper V parts - not even the team guys bother with these, but they are a couple of bucks and I wanted to try them. Not required to go fast.
- Titanium coated suspension shafts. They dropped these from the 418 (417 had them) and again, I wanted them as part of my no compromise build. Not required to go fast.
- Blue O rings for the shocks. Apparently better than the clear ones. Consumable item again.
- Damper spacers on the steering - purely cosmetic. No function at all.
- TRF body mounts. Mildly functional. But they look cool too.
- A pair of 630 bearings - to make a low drag rear lipo stop. The kit should include this I think. $5 worth!
Most of the above only cost a few bucks each (but does add up) but absolutely none of them are either required nor likely to make a novice like me any faster. I also used none of the stock grease etc - again overkill.
I've only has a few runs so far and out of the box it is fast, balanced and so easy to drive. I have a TA06 as well and they are POLES apart even though the TA06 cost just as much by the time I had thrown a few upgrade parts at it - which it DID need.
Actually I forgot two items, and both are essential.
- different spur gear. No way to achieve the FDR I need for 13.5t blinky with the stock spur. 108t for me for now.
- A set of 3,4,5mm shims. I didn't use many, the keys ones are extra under the shock pistons and also in the hubs.
I think you would find a similar story with any of the top chassis.