R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #526
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,425
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
Hey Sean,

thanks for your setup. One question about the shims under the camber links: you have 4mm under them both front and rear. Most other 418 Setups I found have 1mm some have up to 2mm, but never 4mm.

With the 418 bulkheads being around 2.5mm (not exactly sure about this) higher than the 417 ones, I feel that's even more unusual. That must change the rollcenter dramatically.

So can you tell us what the purpose and the effect of that change over the standard setup was?

Thanks,

Christian
So I've found the difference between the shims under the inner ball stud are very crucial on carpet. At 0-1mm on Sweeps I traction roll. 1.5-2.0 the car is very unstable if you hit a dot. At 3-4mm the car becomes very stable and very forgiving. When your in a great setup window a .5mm difference can be huge. So if Sean is running a 4mm shim he may be on high bite carpet.

I don't know Sean's grip level at his track but his setup for our track which is low/medium traction seems a little pushy but very stable. It's a fantastic base setup and highly recommend it as a starting point. As all tracks are different in grip no one setup is perfect but you can take that setup almost any where.

I will finalize my setup this week but it's not all that different. But it does use the stock springs as I didn't want to use anything else at first. I just have a few more things to try till my setup is final. This is a baseline for Sweep 32's for Nats if I can go.
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #527
Tech Fanatic
 
minidriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Mills, WI
Posts: 879
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Can anyone tell me whether the 418 can take a 417 gear diff up front? Or something other than a spool?

I've never been a big fan of spools, especially in tight indoor confines where a board meeting is inevitable.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #528
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidriver View Post
Can anyone tell me whether the 418 can take a 417 gear diff up front? Or something other than a spool?

I've never been a big fan of spools, especially in tight indoor confines where a board meeting is inevitable.
It fits, I'm running a gear diff on the front with 2.5 million Gravity fluid in it.
__________________
Cheers, Jeff
c2tcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #529
Tech Fanatic
 
minidriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Mills, WI
Posts: 879
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuradahk001 View Post
is it work???
What brand of spur gear is this? - nice open area to reach the motor screws!
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #530
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Looks like a Yokomo spur gear to me or it could be an HPI Panaracer.
__________________
Cheers, Jeff
c2tcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #531
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 869
Default

As promised i did some testing and racing with the 6 C-hubs and with some minor adjustments to my setup the car handled great and it was super fast.
I was 0,2 seconds faster then with the 4 c-hubs and i had the fastest time of the day
I just moved the rear dampers 1 hole inwards on the damperstay and that's all.
Due some driving errors (to close on the curbs) i finished second, but overall very pleased with how the car handled on the track.
I look forward on more testing and racing
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #532
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hollywood California
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
Hey Sean,

thanks for your setup. One question about the shims under the camber links: you have 4mm under them both front and rear. Most other 418 Setups I found have 1mm some have up to 2mm, but never 4mm.

With the 418 bulkheads being around 2.5mm (not exactly sure about this) higher than the 417 ones, I feel that's even more unusual. That must change the rollcenter dramatically.

So can you tell us what the purpose and the effect of that change over the standard setup was?

Thanks,

Christian
Hi Skyball,

Yes....4mm under the arm is correct, it should put the arms level front and rear which is not out of the ordinary. Raising the inner camber link on this particular car at my particular track did several things. It increased the corner speed, it reduced the tire wear, increased stabliltiy, increased the grip in and out of the corner and it made the car way easier to drive. Also if you look at your current tires you will see more tire wear on the inside of the tire or possibly some cupping, when raising the inner camber link it moved the wear pattern to the middle of the tire wear it should be and the cupping was gone because I was using the tire equally. After 4 runs and continuous tire observations this told me that the contact patch was directly in the middle of the tire throughout most of the lap which ultimatley provided more traction everywhere.

Just because alot of people use 1 -2mm under the ball stud doesn't mean you have too at your track and it doens't mean it's right . On a medium grip carpet track this seem to wake the car up and work the best. Try it!
__________________
AIRTRONICS / PRO-LINE / PRO-SPEC / P1 BRAND

I'm not a Business man, but I'm the Bizzness man!!!
Sean Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #533
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 164
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Hi Skyball,

Yes....4mm under the arm is correct, it should put the arms level front and rear which is not out of the ordinary. Raising the inner camber link on this particular car at my particular track did several things. It increased the corner speed, it reduced the tire wear, increased stabliltiy, increased the grip in and out of the corner and it made the car way easier to drive. Also if you look at your current tires you will see more tire wear on the inside of the tire or possibly some cupping, when raising the inner camber link it moved the wear pattern to the middle of the tire wear it should be and the cupping was gone because I was using the tire equally. After 4 runs and continuous tire observations this told me that the contact patch was directly in the middle of the tire throughout most of the lap which ultimatley provided more traction everywhere.

Just because alot of people use 1 -2mm under the ball stud doesn't mean you have too at your track and it doens't mean it's right . On a medium grip carpet track this seem to wake the car up and work the best. Try it!
Thanks for sharing Sean.... hopefully I can at least be at the same lap as you next round.
Cheers!
Vsr
farmbridge2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #534
Tech Regular
 
bagged69chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Hi Skyball,

Yes....4mm under the arm is correct, it should put the arms level front and rear which is not out of the ordinary. Raising the inner camber link on this particular car at my particular track did several things. It increased the corner speed, it reduced the tire wear, increased stabliltiy, increased the grip in and out of the corner and it made the car way easier to drive. Also if you look at your current tires you will see more tire wear on the inside of the tire or possibly some cupping, when raising the inner camber link it moved the wear pattern to the middle of the tire wear it should be and the cupping was gone because I was using the tire equally. After 4 runs and continuous tire observations this told me that the contact patch was directly in the middle of the tire throughout most of the lap which ultimatley provided more traction everywhere.

Just because alot of people use 1 -2mm under the ball stud doesn't mean you have too at your track and it doens't mean it's right . On a medium grip carpet track this seem to wake the car up and work the best. Try it!
In your opinion.. is this only true for carpet?

also. what spacer do you have on the rear on the hub?
__________________
Nick George

www.localrcracing.com
bagged69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #535
Tech Master
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin
Default

Do you guys ever find it neccesay to polish the ball studs because all my steering links tie rods sway bar mounrs and camber links are super free except for the right rear. The ball stud on the right rear hub is binding inside the ball cup and doesn't move freely. I thought it might be the ball cup out of round so I tried other ones and the same result. The upright moves freely just not the ball stud in the right rear hub. It's odd. Sugguestions? Only thing I can think to do is polish that one ballstud
__________________
Www.superiorhobbies.com

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #536
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hey Sean,

So thats 4mm with the new style ball studs correct?


I also see the 4mm spacer on the rear of Front arm. Seems to be different then all previous 417s , what did you feel for tht?

THanks
__________________
Gordie
Gordie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #537
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
Do you guys ever find it neccesay to polish the ball studs because all my steering links tie rods sway bar mounrs and camber links are super free except for the right rear. The ball stud on the right rear hub is binding inside the ball cup and doesn't move freely. I thought it might be the ball cup out of round so I tried other ones and the same result. The upright moves freely just not the ball stud in the right rear hub. It's odd. Sugguestions? Only thing I can think to do is polish that one ballstud
The Manual recommends tht you sqeeze the ball cup when installed with pliers... old trick in the books...
__________________
Gordie
Gordie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #538
Tech Master
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie88 View Post
The Manual recommends tht you sqeeze the ball cup when installed with pliers... old trick in the books...
Gave it a good squeeze and freed it right up. It was just weird cuz the other ones weren't like that. Either way thank you
__________________
Www.superiorhobbies.com

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #539
Tech Regular
 
Mr. MR4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Malta, EU
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Anyone got a part number for a complete set of Dampers for the 418 please?
__________________
Xray T4'16 HobbyWing Xerun 120A V3.1
Xray X1'16 HobbyWing Justock
Yokomo R12C3 HobbyWing Xerun V3.1
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #540
Tech Addict
 
Vyger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
Posts: 549
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Tamiya has these, number 42102

RC TRF Special Damper Set - Hard Black Coating


http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...mper-set-42102
__________________
Tamiya Road Wizard, F101s, F102s, F103s, F103RSs, F103LM, F103RXs, F103RMs, F201's, TRF-F103R, F104 PRO's, F104 F-60 & MP4-24, F104X1's F104 V2's, a TRF101 and a TRF101w...The King of Queens
Vyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0