R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #376
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A solid day's work. Still a few days of work left installing electrics, putting it on a setup board, cutting/mounting/painting a shell, etc but the hard work is done.

Love that new steering setup Some other nice improvements over the V5.

Sorry 'bout the crappy pic, I'm tired.....

[IMG][/IMG]
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #377
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
Sweet thanks, I think I just located them. I was thinking that their parts numbers were always 5 digits so when I looked at the parts list in the manual I looked to the right and took that number, which happens to be the axle I kept pulling up online. Ok, time to get the eyes checked!
You can just use a countersunk washer also
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #378
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
You can just use a countersunk washer also
That must be what Kentech used on his build because his looks different from the kit. I'm already using his idea for the damper ball connectors to make removing the dampers easier.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #379
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Built my 418 a week or so ago now. Been testing down here in Melbourne at our local indoor track.

Been extremely happy with the car so far. Compared to the previous car that I was running, it has a lot more steer initially and also mid. It has great rotation also. I have been using Rheinards BIRC set-up and have tried a few things away from the set-up but keep coming back to it. Very nice feeling car.

The build on the car was great! Super stoked at how well they go together and the ideas that are in the car. Love the way how the spur gear is not screw'd in. Make for fast changes.

Cant wait to test it some more and head on over to TITC and let it rip!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF418-img_0225.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #380
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
That must be what Kentech used on his build because his looks different from the kit. I'm already using his idea for the damper ball connectors to make removing the dampers easier.
On the steering posts i use the 53873 Carbon Damper Stay Setting Spacer Set. Actually in this set you also get the flat spacers included with the 418 kit for this position but I use the other spacers included in this set. Just because they look nice, no other reason.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #381
Tech Elite

What other servo horns are people using to get full lock? I'm struggling with the standard servo saver. How much longer (if anything) is the Tamiya #42248 blue aluminium TRF horn?

Otherwise I've completed the build. Generally very impressed, everything "fits", belt tensions are correct, steering geometry is correct, nothing is unnecessarily heavy. It's a proper racer's car. A couple of design details are a bit fiddly, and a few bits might need a little attention and a bit of shimming after the first shakedown, we'll see.

Which brand of spurs are the very best fit? Panaracer? I have RW and Kawada gears to hand which fit but are too wide to use the clip (not that I think it is necessarily a problem as I am using a spacer instead).

PS I've drawn up a gear chart for 48dp, all these gears should fit, 37 is the biggest pinion that will go under the top deck. Please see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRF418 Gears.pdf (133.3 KB, 177 views)
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #382
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
What other servo horns are people using to get full lock? I'm struggling with the standard servo saver. How much longer (if anything) is the Tamiya #42248 blue aluminium TRF horn?

Otherwise I've completed the build. Generally very impressed, everything "fits", belt tensions are correct, steering geometry is correct, nothing is unnecessarily heavy. It's a proper racer's car. A couple of design details are a bit fiddly, and a few bits might need a little attention and a bit of shimming after the first shakedown, we'll see.

Which brand of spurs are the very best fit? Panaracer? I have RW and Kawada gears to hand which fit but are too wide to use the clip (not that I think it is necessarily a problem as I am using a spacer instead).

PS I've drawn up a gear chart for 48dp, all these gears should fit, 37 is the biggest pinion that will go under the top deck. Please see attached.
Have you adjusted your EPA past 100%?

Panaracer and Spec R spurs fit properly.

Tamiya...
dizope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #383
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizope View Post
Have you adjusted your EPA past 100%?

Panaracer and Spec R spurs fit properly.
My radio EPA stops at 120%, it's an issue I've had previously with double-bellcrank cars. I do have a servo horn that I can try but I was hoping for something in Tamiya Blue!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #384
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
On the steering posts i use the 53873 Carbon Damper Stay Setting Spacer Set. Actually in this set you also get the flat spacers included with the 418 kit for this position but I use the other spacers included in this set. Just because they look nice, no other reason.
Cool thanks, I figured that's what you had done, it does give it a nice clean look.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #385
Tech Adept

Just finished my build last night and did a complete set up this morning. I can agree with everyone else that this build was a breeze and much easier than the 417 I built.

I am curious though, what have most of you done with the battery holders? I installed the two holders plus the screw and spacers on the servo mount but even once taped down the battery moves a little. It seems like Tamiya left the holes in the lower deck for the center battery holder from the 417 but don't include it in the 418 kit? I could take the holder off of my 417 but I'm curious to see what others are doing?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #386
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Just finished my build last night and did a complete set up this morning. I can agree with everyone else that this build was a breeze and much easier than the 417 I built.

I am curious though, what have most of you done with the battery holders? I installed the two holders plus the screw and spacers on the servo mount but even once taped down the battery moves a little. It seems like Tamiya left the holes in the lower deck for the center battery holder from the 417 but don't include it in the 418 kit? I could take the holder off of my 417 but I'm curious to see what others are doing?

I will mount the carbon (TRF416) or the steal weight battery holder from the TRF417 to prevent the battery from moving.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #387
Tech Master

Quote:
I also found that the RW spurs don't fit they are a little too wide so I can't fit the e-clip on. How did you get yours to fit? Just add a load of shims to the outer bulkhead?

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #388
Tech Adept

I put in the Panaracer Spur (96 teeth) and it was a perfect fit.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #389
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have the same issue. Using the tamiya servo saver. I'm maxed out on EPA on my radio. Still a mill or two short of full lock

Quote:

www.localrcracing.com
bagged69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #390
Tech Addict

I use the TRF servo horn in all my cars. Tight fit, precise, love it. Panaracer spurs are a drop in fit.

As for the battery mounts - I actually had to trim one of the mounts a little in order for my batteries to actually fit into the battery tray. I had excessive movement with the battery mounts in the V5, not with the 418.
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7