R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #301
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged69chevy View Post
Craig, how did you make that access hole on the top of your ball cups? did you just grind each one by hand?
Nick, it looks like he used a blade and trimmed it off.

I prefer to use a body reamer.

Tamiya...
dizope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #302
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizope View Post
Nick, it looks like he used a blade and trimmed it off.

I prefer to use a body reamer.
Correct I used a stanley knife - are they called that outside of oz? Just like a normal knife you get at hardware stores. I find the hobby knives flex too much so you get a less consistent cut

I have tried drilling, reaming and cutting and get the best results with a blade. Be careful to ensure the inside of the cup is free of burs if you drill or ream, if it's not the cup will bind. You can get these to help even further

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...all-End-Reamer
Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #303
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Correct I used a stanley knife - are they called that outside of oz? Just like a normal knife you get at hardware stores. I find the hobby knives flex too much so you get a less consistent cut

I have tried drilling, reaming and cutting and get the best results with a blade. Be careful to ensure the inside of the cup is free of burs if you drill or ream, if it's not the cup will bind. You can get these to help even further

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...all-End-Reamer
I always make sure there are no burrs and that ball cup operates smoothly on the ball stud. I originally used a hobby knife but the results were too inconsistent.

Tamiya...
dizope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Craig what are your thoughts on the new car?
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #305
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Craig will be at his local track about now giving the 418 a shakedown. I'd expect him to report in an hour or 2.

Simon
Team_Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #306
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Initial run of the car on asphalt was very good. I started out with box setup and it was not too bad, more grip than I expected for such a stiff car but as I suspected the kit springs were way to soft and the rear shock angle too low. Switching to HPI Silvers and standing the shocks up made a big difference.

From there I lifter the rear camber link up 1mm on the bulkhead to a more usual height and that made the car pretty damn good, corner speed was excellent and good steering and on-power grip, but it was super aggressive and not great at low speed. I knew from last week the narrow rear end would help at low speed and I knew that moving the weight of the car forward via the wheelbase would take out the aggression, so I decided to just put Marc's exact BIRC setup on and that made the car very nice - lots of steering, stable, easy to drive, and not aggressive... maybe too mellow even! I'm going to try to get a little more bite from the front end next time out but so far I'm very happy with the car's first outing & feeling really positive about the year ahead

Note: I ran 3k all day - the kit oil is too light IMO and I know 3k is perfect for my track. I also tested with and without the centre screw in the top deck and preferred it without. It made the car change direction better but made it tail on power initially until I made other changes to compensate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Krusty View Post
Craig will be at his local track about now giving the 418 a shakedown. I'd expect him to report in an hour or 2.

Simon
well predicted!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Questions?? 418 v. Raceberry

Quote:
Initial run of the car on asphalt was very good. I started out with box setup and it was not too bad, more grip than I expected for such a stiff car but as I suspected the kit springs were way to soft and the rear shock angle too low. Switching to HPI Silvers and standing the shocks up made a big difference.

From there I lifter the rear camber link up 1mm on the bulkhead to a more usual height and that made the car pretty damn good, corner speed was excellent and good steering and on-power grip, but it was super aggressive and not great at low speed. I knew from last week the narrow rear end would help at low speed and I knew that moving the weight of the car forward via the wheelbase would take out the aggression, so I decided to just put Marc's exact BIRC setup on and that made the car very nice - lots of steering, stable, easy to drive, and not aggressive... maybe too mellow even! I'm going to try to get a little more bite from the front end next time out but so far I'm very happy with the car's first outing & feeling really positive about the year ahead

Note: I ran 3k all day - the kit oil is too light IMO and I know 3k is perfect for my track. I also tested with and without the centre screw in the top deck and preferred it without. It made the car change direction better but made it tail on power initially until I made other changes to compensate

well predicted!
How well does this car perform versus the Raceberry 417 chassis???...which this car is based.
Johnn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #308
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
How well does this car perform versus the Raceberry 417 chassis???...which this car is based.
For sure it feels similar but I think its a little better in every way. It seems to have better grip especially on power, and more steering and corner speed. I think the new plastics and revised geometry make the majority of the difference
Old 12-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #309
Tech Regular

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/tamiyatrf?ref=ts&fref=ts

New Facebook page by TRF team! A great 418 build by Takayuki Kono, most posts translate to english OK

And now it's gone again!? glad I watched it while it lasted... didn't realize I should have been taking screenshots of it all...

there were some good tips in there
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #310
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Questions?? 418

Quote:
For sure it feels similar but I think its a little better in every way. It seems to have better grip especially on power, and more steering and corner speed. I think the new plastics and revised geometry make the majority of the difference

Does this kit come with a front spool and rear gear diff?
Johnn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
Does this kit come with a front spool and rear gear diff?
That it does.
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #312
Tech Adept

Sanwa M12 - RX-471
http://www.agaerc.com/
banquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #313
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquer View Post
Yours finally arrived, mine is allready build since yesterday
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #314
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
Yours finally arrived, mine is allready build since yesterday
LOL wish I knew when mine was arriving. Last time I ordered something from HK it took over two weeks to get to me in the states. Hopefully this time it's quicker as I paid for the faster shipping.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #315
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
LOL wish I knew when mine was arriving. Last time I ordered something from HK it took over two weeks to get to me in the states. Hopefully this time it's quicker as I paid for the faster shipping.
If you paid for ems then you can track it

Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7