R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #301
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central CA
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged69chevy View Post
Craig, how did you make that access hole on the top of your ball cups? did you just grind each one by hand?
Nick, it looks like he used a blade and trimmed it off.

I prefer to use a body reamer.
__________________
Richard G.

Tamiya...
dizope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #302
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizope View Post
Nick, it looks like he used a blade and trimmed it off.

I prefer to use a body reamer.
Correct I used a stanley knife - are they called that outside of oz? Just like a normal knife you get at hardware stores. I find the hobby knives flex too much so you get a less consistent cut

I have tried drilling, reaming and cutting and get the best results with a blade. Be careful to ensure the inside of the cup is free of burs if you drill or ream, if it's not the cup will bind. You can get these to help even further

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...all-End-Reamer
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #303
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central CA
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Correct I used a stanley knife - are they called that outside of oz? Just like a normal knife you get at hardware stores. I find the hobby knives flex too much so you get a less consistent cut

I have tried drilling, reaming and cutting and get the best results with a blade. Be careful to ensure the inside of the cup is free of burs if you drill or ream, if it's not the cup will bind. You can get these to help even further

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...all-End-Reamer
I always make sure there are no burrs and that ball cup operates smoothly on the ball stud. I originally used a hobby knife but the results were too inconsistent.
__________________
Richard G.

Tamiya...
dizope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #304
Tech Master
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West LA
Posts: 1,185
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Craig what are your thoughts on the new car?
__________________
Jay Williams
Xray RX8 2014
RC America - Protoform Racing - KO Propo USA - Kevco Racing / Picco EDO Modified - Byrons Fuels
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #305
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wollongong Australia
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Craig will be at his local track about now giving the 418 a shakedown. I'd expect him to report in an hour or 2.

Simon
Team_Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #306
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Initial run of the car on asphalt was very good. I started out with box setup and it was not too bad, more grip than I expected for such a stiff car but as I suspected the kit springs were way to soft and the rear shock angle too low. Switching to HPI Silvers and standing the shocks up made a big difference.

From there I lifter the rear camber link up 1mm on the bulkhead to a more usual height and that made the car pretty damn good, corner speed was excellent and good steering and on-power grip, but it was super aggressive and not great at low speed. I knew from last week the narrow rear end would help at low speed and I knew that moving the weight of the car forward via the wheelbase would take out the aggression, so I decided to just put Marc's exact BIRC setup on and that made the car very nice - lots of steering, stable, easy to drive, and not aggressive... maybe too mellow even! I'm going to try to get a little more bite from the front end next time out but so far I'm very happy with the car's first outing & feeling really positive about the year ahead

Note: I ran 3k all day - the kit oil is too light IMO and I know 3k is perfect for my track. I also tested with and without the centre screw in the top deck and preferred it without. It made the car change direction better but made it tail on power initially until I made other changes to compensate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Krusty View Post
Craig will be at his local track about now giving the 418 a shakedown. I'd expect him to report in an hour or 2.

Simon
well predicted!
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #307
Tech Master
 
Johnn27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,343
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Questions?? 418 v. Raceberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Initial run of the car on asphalt was very good. I started out with box setup and it was not too bad, more grip than I expected for such a stiff car but as I suspected the kit springs were way to soft and the rear shock angle too low. Switching to HPI Silvers and standing the shocks up made a big difference.

From there I lifter the rear camber link up 1mm on the bulkhead to a more usual height and that made the car pretty damn good, corner speed was excellent and good steering and on-power grip, but it was super aggressive and not great at low speed. I knew from last week the narrow rear end would help at low speed and I knew that moving the weight of the car forward via the wheelbase would take out the aggression, so I decided to just put Marc's exact BIRC setup on and that made the car very nice - lots of steering, stable, easy to drive, and not aggressive... maybe too mellow even! I'm going to try to get a little more bite from the front end next time out but so far I'm very happy with the car's first outing & feeling really positive about the year ahead

Note: I ran 3k all day - the kit oil is too light IMO and I know 3k is perfect for my track. I also tested with and without the centre screw in the top deck and preferred it without. It made the car change direction better but made it tail on power initially until I made other changes to compensate


well predicted!
How well does this car perform versus the Raceberry 417 chassis???...which this car is based.
Johnn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #308
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
How well does this car perform versus the Raceberry 417 chassis???...which this car is based.
For sure it feels similar but I think its a little better in every way. It seems to have better grip especially on power, and more steering and corner speed. I think the new plastics and revised geometry make the majority of the difference
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #309
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
https://www.facebook.com/tamiyatrf?ref=ts&fref=ts

New Facebook page by TRF team! A great 418 build by Takayuki Kono, most posts translate to english OK

And now it's gone again!? glad I watched it while it lasted... didn't realize I should have been taking screenshots of it all...

there were some good tips in there
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #310
Tech Master
 
Johnn27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,343
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Questions?? 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
For sure it feels similar but I think its a little better in every way. It seems to have better grip especially on power, and more steering and corner speed. I think the new plastics and revised geometry make the majority of the difference

Does this kit come with a front spool and rear gear diff?
Johnn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #311
Tech Master
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West LA
Posts: 1,185
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
Does this kit come with a front spool and rear gear diff?
That it does.
__________________
Jay Williams
Xray RX8 2014
RC America - Protoform Racing - KO Propo USA - Kevco Racing / Picco EDO Modified - Byrons Fuels
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #312
Tech Adept
 
banquer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Granada (Spain)
Posts: 110
Default

__________________
Tamiya 419
Tamiya TRF 101
MuchMore Fleta Pro - Euro - Fleta 10.5-21.5
Sanwa M12 - RX-471
http://www.agaerc.com/
banquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #313
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquer View Post
Yours finally arrived, mine is allready build since yesterday
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #314
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
Yours finally arrived, mine is allready build since yesterday
LOL wish I knew when mine was arriving. Last time I ordered something from HK it took over two weeks to get to me in the states. Hopefully this time it's quicker as I paid for the faster shipping.
__________________
Cheers, Jeff
c2tcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #315
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
LOL wish I knew when mine was arriving. Last time I ordered something from HK it took over two weeks to get to me in the states. Hopefully this time it's quicker as I paid for the faster shipping.
If you paid for ems then you can track it
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0