R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #1891
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Any recent opinions on aftermarket chassis?

New indoor season is just starting and I just had possibly my worst ever result at a club meeting. I just can't find any consistency for the rear my 418.

Should I try an aftermarket chassis to try and cure my car's vices, or make a clean break and try a completely different car?

Samix and Smokem seem to be my options.
I'm starting from scratch with my 418 but with the Samix Aluminum chassis for 17.5 blinky. What class are you running? I figure I'll give it a few race weekends to see where I end up, but I'm going away from the norm on setups and trying a few different things. What problems are you having with the rear end? Right now I'm working on corner speed.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #1892
Tech Elite

I would wait and see how many parts are needed to convert/allow to switch between 419 and the 418. There won't be too many and it'll most likely be cheaper than buying the new kit. Right now it looks like it's just the main chassis and the motor mount. There may be more different parts (I understand the diffs are a new design) but I don't imagine they make a difference to setup options. You might need a pair of new belts as well. This is my intention anyway. And my idea is to go with the Yokomo motor mount, old (2014) or new, we'll see.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #1893
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I would wait and see how many parts are needed to convert/allow to switch between 419 and the 418. There won't be too many and it'll most likely be cheaper than buying the new kit. Right now it looks like it's just the main chassis and the motor mount. There may be more different parts (I understand the diffs are a new design) but I don't imagine they make a difference to setup options. You might need a pair of new belts as well. This is my intention anyway. And my idea is to go with the Yokomo motor mount, old (2014) or new, we'll see.
The bulkheads are wider apart than the 418. They are back in line with the suspension mount holes as they were with the 416. You can see this in the pics of the bottom of the chassis. Since they are wider they will affect the camber link locations on the bulkhead caps. So maybe they changed those too? I dunno but the bulkheads and caps look different.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 10-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #1894
Tech Elite

I see what you say, but I am not so sure they changed the location of the bulkheads. Maybe the suspension block screw positions are different and that's why it seems that way. If it was indeed wider, they'd have to change the driveshaft dogbone length too, and by looking at the pics it seems the blades don't go inboard that deep (in the outdrives) and even if they're using the 42mm dogbone it still looks as wide as the 418. We'll see.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #1895
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I see what you say, but I am not so sure they changed the location of the bulkheads. Maybe the suspension block screw positions are different and that's why it seems that way. If it was indeed wider, they'd have to change the driveshaft dogbone length too, and by looking at the pics it seems the blades don't go inboard that deep (in the outdrives) and even if they're using the 42mm dogbone it still looks as wide as the 418. We'll see.
Good point on the suspension mounts, but looking at the pics, the arms seem to be a lot closer to the bulkheads front and rear. The front bumper holes are also about the same position in relation to the front suspension mounts. So I'm going with my wider bulkhead theory.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 10-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #1896
Tech Elite

I run 17.5 Blinky but I think our carpet conditions are much lower grip than in the USA. The car was fine on the couple of occasions I ran it outdoors but if the grip is low I find it very inconsistent, never sure if the car is going to slide or grip which means plenty of mistakes.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #1897
Tech Elite

Quote:
I run 17.5 Blinky but I think our carpet conditions are much lower grip than in the USA. The car was fine on the couple of occasions I ran it outdoors but if the grip is low I find it very inconsistent, never sure if the car is going to slide or grip which means plenty of mistakes.
What springs are you running? Yokomo? HPI? Tamiya? Or something different?

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #1898
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
What springs are you running? Yokomo? HPI? Tamiya? Or something different?
Currently using HPI but the issue has been constant on other springs too.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #1899
Tech Elite

What tires (indoor/outdoor)?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #1900
Tech Elite

Sorex control tyre, same for everyone.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #1901
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorex control tyre, same for everyone.
What Sorex do you guys use? I run 32 JB's on my 418 on blinky 17.5 and the car handles consistently. With 28's its more on the edge, but it can be a little faster.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #1902
Tech Elite

28JBs - but the tyres really aren't the issue as previous cars I have raced have been much more consistent on the same tyres. Hence the question regarding feedback on chassis conversions. The TRF418 just doesn't suit me indoors and it is time for a fundamental change.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #1903
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's unfortunate you're having a difficult time with the 418 on carpet, the car is a beast on carpet. You may have other gremlins lurking in your setup. I can't say what works for me will work for you, but I've ran the car with standard and short shocks with much success along with different chassis. Standard chassis and short shocks is superb. Short shocks combos are the ride big bore short springs and for standard shocks it's ether the ride haras or Yokomo.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #1904
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I would be happy to share my set up. I am not great but I can tell you my car is dialed. I drive at TQ Raceway and have had help from some super fast guys and they can drive my car as fast as anything around that track. It is med to high bite carpet.

The only extra parts I have outside the stock parts are Yokomo springs front and rear and an Xray servo saver. Otherwise it is everything from the box

Send a PM if you would like.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #1905
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

New in box 418 for sale.
TAMIYA TRF 418 NEW IN BOX
Willing to ship overseas.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7