R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1576
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,898
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Stock ones here too.

Some aftermarket report to be lighter/stronger/cheaper/more durable.

The stock ones work. Easy to rebuild. Haven't broken any yet.
+1
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1577
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the replies. I have purchased the stock trf418 dcj cvd for my tb04
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #1578
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,892
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Regarding the suspension blocks... Am I correct in assuming A/A is widest track where as F/F is narrowest?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #1579
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,014
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Regarding the suspension blocks... Am I correct in assuming A/A is widest track where as F/F is narrowest?
No, the blocks increase in width as you go up: A - F (widest).
It's the X blocks that get narrower as you go down: X - XD (narrowest).

- Jose
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #1580
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It remains to be seen how durable they are, but the Yeah Racing c-hubs with the bearings in them (sold separately) are neat. Certainly the smoothest action and least play I've seen.
Did you get to run them yet? Well I have to agree with you, I broke 4 chubs today running indoors on carpet. New style chubs. Light taps if that. My BD7 would of kept going. I will say it might have been that I haven't cut my axles down to the wheel nut yet but still... Super Fragile. Tossed on the old style and no problems. I dunno. I'm staying away from them when racing indoors! Gonna have to give Square a try. Maybe whip out the Dremel if I have to.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #1581
Tech Addict
 
acutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 505
Default

Does anyone run the metal gears 54428 in their diff's for the 418?
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #1582
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Did you get to run them yet? Well I have to agree with you, I broke 4 chubs today running indoors on carpet. New style chubs. Light taps if that. My BD7 would of kept going. I will say it might have been that I haven't cut my axles down to the wheel nut yet but still... Super Fragile. Tossed on the old style and no problems. I dunno. I'm staying away from them when racing indoors! Gonna have to give Square a try. Maybe whip out the Dremel if I have to.
Tomorrow. Mine are breaking even with the axles ground down flush with the wheel nuts. It's really disappointing the new bits are even worse. They need to be 2x as thick down at the bottom around the hinge pin area. This is where they always break, and the exact spot other brands without this problem thicken theirs up.

Oh, sorry, I forgot what thread I was in. What I meant to say is that you suck and you should stop hitting things, the car is perfect.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #1583
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,019
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Tomorrow. Mine are breaking even with the axles ground down flush with the wheel nuts. It's really disappointing the new bits are even worse. They need to be 2x as thick down at the bottom around the hinge pin area. This is where they always break, and the exact spot other brands without this problem thicken theirs up.

Oh, sorry, I forgot what thread I was in. What I meant to say is that you suck and you should stop hitting things, the car is perfect.
The C-hubs have always been a problem...and the new reinforced c-hubs are even worse. I know there a lot of really great drivers in this thread that never hit shit, but I can tell you first hand that it is a problem. I really like the car, but honestly it needs to be fixed or replaced with something tougher.

They beefed up the arms on the 418 and ignored the one area that needed to be fixed. The arms were fine...this is why it is important to have drivers on the team that are not 100% pro drivers. Obviously on a curb track with no boards the c-hubs are not an issue. But on smaller tighter tracks with boards it is an issue.

Honestly it is the only issue with the car, but it is a big one!
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #1584
Tech Elite
 
2-Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutts View Post
Does anyone run the metal gears 54428 in their diff's for the 418?
In Mod, yes.... the carbon/plastic main gears flare out on the back side of the gear around the cross pin from the torque. This happens gradually after a period of time. It also changes the mess and makes the diff very, very tight.

That said, in Spec class they maybe okay….
__________________
Yokomo * G Force * Sanwa * SMC * ProSpec
2-Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #1585
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutts View Post
Does anyone run the metal gears 54428 in their diff's for the 418?
I'm in 13.5 blinky - no bother.

I have 2-3 sets, still on my first after about a half season. If they keep wearing well I wont bother.

Rumours are a new diff is around as prototype as well.....
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #1586
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

I run the metal gears in my diff for 17.5 blinky, but I've also ran the car outdoors with 4.0t. I see no issue with them but I'm looking forward to the new style diff.

LOL on the chubs @syndrome. I do remember some ETS races where Viktor broke a chub. So maybe they'll have a revised set for the 418X. (Wishful thinking.)
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #1587
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

You don't need metal gears even in mod. Just use the steel cross shafts (the plastic one is a shocker) and shims behind the satellite gears and they'll last forever.

That is unless you need your diff to weigh a ton.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #1588
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,898
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
You don't need metal gears even in mod. Just use the steel cross shafts (the plastic one is a shocker) and shims behind the satellite gears and they'll last forever.

That is unless you need your diff to weigh a ton.
Shimming the satellite gears also helps with getting some of the notchyness out too
__________________
Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4
TLR 22 3.0
Apex RC Proshop
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #1589
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Seems like maybe I bent both 3 racing chubs today with some solid hits. Running the Yeah chubs now with the bearings and they seem to be holding up better.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #1590
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Is there a list of the new style suspension block part numbers and sizes? I have the old list but am looking for the new similar to what came on the 418.
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:44 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0