R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #1486
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,299
Default

I read that YR and 3R uses cheap aluminum to make their parts? It'll work for most applications, but not for high stress areas.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #1487
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You would use the same Tamiya hinge pins, should not be any drilling required. You have to shave material off the Xray C-hub if you want it fitted to 418 arms.

I went from an X-Ray T4 '13 to TRF418. The 418 is an immediately better handling car, even on lower traction asphalt. One of the things I noticed is maybe this is attributed to how much less unsprung weight there is compared to an X-ray. All the X-ray suspension parts are beefy, but they weigh a lot too compared to the BD7/418 counterpart. I plan to stick with Tamiya parts on my car.
Isn't the diameter of the Tamiya hinge pin smaller than the hole in the X-ray chub? And I agree, the 418 is a significanly better handling car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #1488
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
I read that YR and 3R uses cheap aluminum to make their parts? It'll work for most applications, but not for high stress areas.
This is my concern as well. The Square bits were great back in the day.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #1489
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
This is my concern as well. The Square bits were great back in the day.
Or you could quit hittin $hit
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #1490
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Or you could quit hittin $hit
I'm convinced the chubs snap from the force of a mod car turning into the sweeper in high grip. They're that bad!*



* That was a joke nuthuggers, put your pitchforks down.

Last edited by syndr0me; 07-31-2014 at 12:38 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #1491
Tech Elite
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I ran Hotbodies before coming over. Those c hubs broke in the pits!

Guess it's all relative.
__________________
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #1492
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Just get the Square Aluminum ones. That's what I ran on my 416. They still sell them. Just be sure to get the 416 version, not the Evo 4. They cost upwards of $30, but it's better aluminum than the cheaper HK brands. Those Yeah Racing ones look interesting though with the bearings. And cheap too at $12 a set.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #1493
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,183
Default

It's a bit late now as you have ordered them, but I checked and the dcj's were fine with the yeah racing c hubs on my mates 416. Hopefully they will be ok with the 418 arms. As to strength they have been fine (although this is 10.5 boosted, not mod)

As to the car on carpet, I love it. Still managing to keep my car ahead of the field at my local club, I like how the car is just so consistent so I can keep pushing it faster and faster.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Samir on carpet. I haven't tried it but I briefly had a bd7 14 which is similar and I didn't like it as much as my 418, seemed to bog down to much.
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #1494
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,893
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Just get the Square Aluminum ones. That's what I ran on my 416. They still sell them. Just be sure to get the 416 version, not the Evo 4. They cost upwards of $30, but it's better aluminum than the cheaper HK brands. Those Yeah Racing ones look interesting though with the bearings. And cheap too at $12 a set.
Good place to order the 416 blocks is at Banzai.. You won't pay the hefty $30!
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #1495
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,046
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Squares don't clear the DCJs. At least not my old ones.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #1496
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,189
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Bust out the dremel.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #1497
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Good place to order the 416 blocks is at Banzai.. You won't pay the hefty $30!
I checked this morning. Banzai had them for $32.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #1498
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
It's a bit late now as you have ordered them, but I checked and the dcj's were fine with the yeah racing c hubs on my mates 416. Hopefully they will be ok with the 418 arms. As to strength they have been fine (although this is 10.5 boosted, not mod)

As to the car on carpet, I love it. Still managing to keep my car ahead of the field at my local club, I like how the car is just so consistent so I can keep pushing it faster and faster.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Samir on carpet. I haven't tried it but I briefly had a bd7 14 which is similar and I didn't like it as much as my 418, seemed to bog down to much.
You still running kit chassis? I'm running Smokem for asphalt and saving my kit for carpet.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #1499
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
You still running kit chassis? I'm running Smokem for asphalt and saving my kit for carpet.
Yep kit chassis. Our track is high grip carpet so the softer cars just seem to become wildly inconsistent as the grip changes over the night.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #1500
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,893
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I checked this morning. Banzai had them for $32.
My bad.. You're talking about c hubs.. I was thinking suspension blocks
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
417, 418, rm-01, tamiya, trf, yokomo bd7


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0