R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #151
Tech Adept

Default Fantom 21.5

I run a Fantom 21.5 short stack great motor, has a great power ban, spools up smooth in short and long tracks. Just watch your temps.
tdu verney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #152
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

I tried a bunch leading up to State Titles over here:

Trackstar V2 21.5, if you get a good one it's a fast strong motor, but for every good one which dyno's around 115W you get 8 or 9 that are around 100W

Motiv 21.5 Dyno'd a bit down 110W and couldn't bring it up no matter what I did tuning, but did surprisingly well given the power on tap, would be great for a tight carpet track, on a large outdoor track it lacked the top end.

Trinity 24K 21.5 Dyno'd around the Fantom area of 120W Very quick straightline but faded after 4-5 minutes.

Fantom FR-1 21.5, Fastest motor at our track, very tight 'sweet spot' on gearing, and a pro select rotor does help a lot (lets you go up a tooth or two) Geared around 2.9 FDR and set lap and race records for 21.5 last weekend in my A800 but watch temps.

(Please note I race on a very large outdoor ex nitro track, 80m front straight, 40m back straight, very bumpy, laptimes around 19-20 seconds for 21.5, if you run on a carpet track or even a smaller asphalt track, different motors may work better)

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

Last edited by nexxus; 10-25-2016 at 07:35 PM.
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I tried a bunch leading up to State Titles over here:

Trackstar V2 21.5, if you get a good one it's a fast strong motor, but for every good one which dyno's around 115W you get 8 or 9 that are around 100W

Motiv 21.5 Dyno'd a bit down 110W and couldn't bring it up no matter what I did tuning, but did surprisingly well given the power on tap, would be great for a tight carpet track, on a large outdoor track it lacked the top end.

Trinity 24K 21.5 Dyno'd around the Fantom area of 120W Very quick straightline but faded after 4-5 minutes.

Fantom FR-1 21.5, Fastest motor at our track, very tight 'sweet spot' on gearing, and a pro select rotor does help a lot (lets you go up a tooth or two) Geared around 2.9 FDR and set lap and race records for 21.5 last weekend in my A800 but watch temps.

(Please note I race on a very large outdoor ex nitro track, 160m front straight, 80m back straight, very bumpy, laptimes around 19-20 seconds for 21.5, if you run on a carpet track or even a smaller asphalt track, different motors may work better)
I'm guessing you're talking about WCMRC? I thought that was an 80m front straight and 40m back straight. 160m is huge.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #154
Tech Champion

Oops just fixed it

Feels like 160m when you're marshalling.

This illustrates it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3why7Tq8wNk

Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 AM   #155
Tech Addict

The new Team Scream 21.5. All of their new ROAR approved motors are tremendous. A main 1/12 -17.5 at the Halloween Classic was a complete field of TSR. They won F1 and WGT-R also.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #156
Tech Champion

What sort of track though? What works at some tracks don't work at others. Motiv seem better for a tight indoor carpet track but lack on a large outdoor track IMO

Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

TEAM POWERS 21.5 won USGT A-MAIN @ the Halloween Classic.
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY / TEAM POWERS
godzukihop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #158
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

team scream or team powers. i like team powers 17.5 in my TC because i like my TC to be torquey and it seems more torquey than the team scream, but if you like your motors smooth and still fast, team scream is the way to go.

both motors are best bang for your buck IMHO.

i've never been a huge fantom fan. it's ballistic in my buggy, but couldnt get it to do anything in my TC
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #159
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Are we talking about the sub $100 box stock version or the $150-175 hand pick 5% certified this and that 1S short stack ceramic version?

From most recent race result...Team Scream "THE ONE" is the fastest thing ever.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #160
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboislim View Post
team scream or team powers. i like team powers 17.5 in my TC because i like my TC to be torquey and it seems more torquey than the team scream, but if you like your motors smooth and still fast, team scream is the way to go.

both motors are best bang for your buck IMHO.

i've never been a huge fantom fan. it's ballistic in my buggy, but couldnt get it to do anything in my TC
Which is strange one of the guys I race with runs the latest Team Powers 21.5 and on the stator checker it's got the lowest resistance so theoretically should have the most power but he's in the 20 second lap area and the fast guys are in the 18-19's, down the main straight the Fantom's just pull away from him.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #161
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A lot of factors go into getting the most out of a motor. Stator resistance, rotor strength, timing, sensor board, and gear ratio all play an important roll. I've found that a lot of these are very important, along with track type and the class (type of car) you are running will all come into play. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 race days to get close to a motors sweet spot.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #162
Tech Master

Team powers Actinium v2. It is very fast and runs cool.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #163
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Which is strange one of the guys I race with runs the latest Team Powers 21.5 and on the stator checker it's got the lowest resistance so theoretically should have the most power but he's in the 20 second lap area and the fast guys are in the 18-19's, down the main straight the Fantom's just pull away from him.
could all be in the driving. team powers in my tc is the fastest motor i've put in it. i went from looking for speed to searching for setup
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #164
Tech Addict

The "new" Team Scream has very innovative in stator design. It has brought resistances down well below 20/pole. It has more torque, power, runs cooler and has higher efficiency. Compared to their old short stack, it is like taking off a couple of turns. I haven't dynoyed mine for comparison yet but the track spoke quite loudly. These motors are just making it out in numbers so if you haven't tried one I suggest that you do or ask someone that has.
Now for the track question, I have run it only at the Gate. That is a 90x40 black carpet box. The layouts have been both tight and open and the motor has preformed very well on both types. Because of both more torque and rpm (higher wattage) its advantage over the old motor is amazing. It also has had a race day in oval where it impressed some of the team R1 drivers. Not often a motor can work both worlds. By the way I pay for my motors so I have no stock in their sales.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #165
Tech Champion

Curious, I like the technical side of motors, so I look at Internal Resistance, Rotor strength etc, ie I found the M Code dyno'd at 110W compared to 120W on the Fantom and 24K, and 98W with an LRP X20. Timing doesn't change the power just the throttle curve on the dyno so it's a good test, got me curious now. Be interested to see how they line up stator resistance wise.