Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Tamiya TB04 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Looking on picking up one of these for a upcoming TCS race.

I already have the TRF Dampers ( Not the short, regular size ) as I thought that would be correct for the IFS TB-04. ( I am buying the lexus kit so I can go ahead and have a nice body for the race ).

I plan on keeping everything stock. This way I don;t have to worry about the TCS rules. I am a pretty good driver and will be competing in GT2. Will this be a good choice or should I grab up a Tb-03?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm finding it difficult to set the gear mesh (72/52) without taking off the transmission cover. I'm thinking about doing a little dremeling to create a window.

Anyone else do the same or have a better idea?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Samich
I'm finding it difficult to set the gear mesh (72/52) without taking off the transmission cover. I'm thinking about doing a little dremeling to create a window.

Anyone else do the same or have a better idea?
Nope, your best bet is to grind the cover
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
Nope, your best bet is to grind the cover
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

It's currently set up for USGT and I plan on running it in GT3 for TCS, but afterwards I'm thinking about converting it to a VTA ride.

I'm looking for the 51255 and 51109 (or 51110) gears but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

My go-to place is usually TQ, but no joy there. Are there any other domestic suppliers of Tamiya parts? Tower and Speedtech were dead ends as well.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's currently set up for USGT and I plan on running it in GT3 for TCS, but afterwards I'm thinking about converting it to a VTA ride.

I'm looking for the 51255 and 51109 (or 51110) gears but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

My go-to place is usually TQ, but no joy there. Are there any other domestic suppliers of Tamiya parts? Tower and Speedtech were dead ends as well.
The 51255 gears are no longer TCS legal.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

I just found them on eBay 51255 and 51109. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
The 51255 gears are no longer TCS legal.
Yup, saw that. The regional TCS race is next next month and afterwards I was thinking of converting it over to USVTA.

Seeing that they realized their mistake and released the hop-up motor mount to allow larger pinions I'm hoping they release an optional 39/17 gear set, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I just found them on eBay 51255 and 51109. Hope this helps.
Thanks... I'll take a look.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey everyone!

I just bought a used TB04 Pro II and I'm in the process of rebuilding it to eventually run it in USGT. In my downtime while waiting for parts, I made a Google Docs spreadsheet to use for keeping track of my setups, instead of the editable PDFs. It includes a built-in FDR calculator based on either the 39T or 40T ring gears for the differentials.

It's still a work in progress, but feel free to check it out and use it for yourself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feel free to PM me with suggestions on changes!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm about to build a TB-04 pro II and was thinking of going with 500k front diff oil, and 2k rear for asphalt (soda sprayed parking lot) USGT and VTA.

I don't have a spool for it. People seem to comment on too much steering and an unsettled rear end, which I was thinking the thicker rear oil might help with.

Is this correct logic? Too thick? Any recommendations, overall, for these outdoor conditions are welcomed.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

too stiff an oil in the rear diff will fishtail on power.... especially on low grip conditions. from experience, that is.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hayling
I'm about to build a TB-04 pro II and was thinking of going with 500k front diff oil, and 2k rear for asphalt (soda sprayed parking lot) USGT and VTA.

I don't have a spool for it. People seem to comment on too much steering and an unsettled rear end, which I was thinking the thicker rear oil might help with.

Is this correct logic? Too thick? Any recommendations, overall, for these outdoor conditions are welcomed.
I'm currently running Gravity 1 mil in the front and Assoc 100 wt in the rear. Also went one step lighter on rear springs and running sway bars F&R. This calmed the car down a bunch. Think going heavy in the rear is not what you are looking for as the car has a ton of on power steering out of the box. My setup is for carpet. Asphalt might be a little different.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
I'm currently running Gravity 1 mil in the front and Assoc 100 wt in the rear. Also went one step lighter on rear springs and running sway bars F&R. This calmed the car down a bunch. Think going heavy in the rear is not what you are looking for as the car has a ton of on power steering out of the box. My setup is for carpet. Asphalt might be a little different.
Thanks for the input! I'll just put 1k cst/100 wt oil in the rear. When working with geared diff combination f/r instead of a front spool, do you find that they interplay, or are they more separate?

For example, say you went down to a 500k front weight like I plan on putting in there, would one then go lighter on the rear oil? They seem fairly exclusively when tuning, but I ask for that same reason; I read a lot on here and elsewhere, and think a lot of people throw money at the wrong areas to remedy something that can be taken care of at a more basic level with things like diff oil combinations. It's just hardly mentioned.

Every single person at our club probably has a spool for their 10th scale. My goal for this car's setup is less herky-jerky and more smooth and steady. I really don't know if anyone is running a front geared diff out there. Most people just cut the wheel and scrub speed at every chance. It's mostly compensating for the traction and surface conditions I think. Some of the VTA guys can be really smooth at those lower speeds though.

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
too stiff an oil in the rear diff will fishtail on power.... especially on low grip conditions. from experience, that is.
This all makes sense. I think I'm forgetting about corner exit, and what's going on there with weight transfer and power application.

Thanks folks!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hayling
Every single person at our club probably has a spool for their 10th scale.
Negative, sir... LOL. Although a lot of us run spools on asphalt, there several guys who run front gear diffs with +1 million CST silicon or putty.

At this point, it may be a little difficult finding setup recommendations for our tracks for the TB04 since no one is running one locally... yet. BTW, did you start on it last night?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Negative, sir... LOL. Although a lot of us run spools on asphalt, there several guys who run front gear diffs with +1 million CST silicon or putty.

At this point, it may be a little difficult finding setup recommendations for our tracks for the TB04 since no one is running one locally... yet. BTW, did you start on it last night?
LOL, what's up RJ!? No, I was dead tired from the round trip combined with sleep deprivation to see y'all tear it up on the new off-road track. Didn't have any responses about the diff yet. Glad I waited!

I know the GT8 guys are running putty. Didn't know the TCs were though. Good to know, thanks! I agree, setting it up will just be trial and error. I still need to check for the chassis tweak before starting and pray the II model has some corrections. Will start on it tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.