Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Tamiya TB04 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

There is a model of the TB04 Pro II now available for RC Crew Chief, for those of you that are interested.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Very frustrating weekend with my TB-04 ProII.

I'll admit I'm not the greatest driver, but 4 c-hubs in one day sucks. The impacts weren't even that hard. What's worse is that they were all on the right. Too bad they are not swappable left to right.

Fortunately, the track had a few sets in stock so I was able to keep running, but every time it broke it also ejected the lower flanged tube. A fellow racer suggest using the older c-hub, I so I ordered a few of those, but I can't seem to find the flanged tube (51100) in stock anywhere. The regional TCS is this week and the only reason I bought the car was to run an additional class beside Mini. I have one more lower flanged tube left, but if my luck continues my TB-04 might not survive Friday practice.....let alone the event itself.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you running the carbon reinforced or kit plastic C hubs? You might find that the kit plastic hubs might give you a bit of flex to survive the impacts.

The carbon parts are great for precision and stiffness, but tend to be brittle.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Tower hobbies has the fluorine coated flange tube and hinge pin set in stock

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000248613&I=TAMC2614&P=K
Old 03-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ErikO
Are you running the carbon reinforced or kit plastic C hubs? You might find that the kit plastic hubs might give you a bit of flex to survive the impacts.

The carbon parts are great for precision and stiffness, but tend to be brittle.
I broke two of the kit plastic and three of the carbon ones (I noticed the left one was 50% cracked when I was tearing the car apart yesterday in preparation for this weekend's TCS).

Luckily my order from TQ came yesterday which included a few pairs of the 51293 units. I'm also thinking a firmer bumper might help as well. I had the same issue on the XRAY T4 '14. Once I replaced the kit bumper with the older firmer bumper I stopped breaking (for the most part )

Also, I'm finding off the line I need to ease in to the throttle or else I have massive torque steer...at least on super grippy carpet. It's not as pronounced on cold asphalt. Once I have it all back together I'll throw it on the setup board and verify all the settings.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
Tower hobbies has the fluorine coated flange tube and hinge pin set in stock

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TAMC2614&P=K
Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed the last one of those TQ had in stock. I placed the order from Tower as well, but unfortunately I won't get them in time for this weekend's TCS unless I pay 3x the cost of the part for shipping (even though I'm in the same state)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Samich
What's worse is that they were all on the right.
My first one and a half years on carpet left me with a box of eleven left-over LEFT c-hubs on my 417. However, since December, I have not broken a single part on my new 419, probably due to more stable setup. I put big 200mm bumpers on the front of my kids TBO4s and that has saved me from replacing their c-hubs on a regular basis.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ic-racer
My first one and a half years on carpet left me with a box of eleven left-over LEFT c-hubs on my 417. However, since December, I have not broken a single part on my new 419, probably due to more stable setup. I put big 200mm bumpers on the front of my kids TBO4s and that has saved me from replacing their c-hubs on a regular basis.
Which bumpers are you using? Are there any universal bumpers that people use and drill new holes in for these purposes or is it something specific? There was a company that made some wide bumpers for the TT01, but upon trying to order them, it appears the company is out of business, or the global market is sold out. Something similar to the Yokomo wide bumper sold for the bd7...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

The Xray Hard Foam Bumper is the way to go

http://www.amain.com/xray-hard-foam-bumper/p393916

Once I installed this, I stopped breaking C hubs.

Bumpers are usually not universal but can be made to fit.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hayling
Thanks for the input! I'll just put 1k cst/100 wt oil in the rear. When working with geared diff combination f/r instead of a front spool, do you find that they interplay, or are they more separate?

For example, say you went down to a 500k front weight like I plan on putting in there, would one then go lighter on the rear oil? They seem fairly exclusively when tuning, but I ask for that same reason; I read a lot on here and elsewhere, and think a lot of people throw money at the wrong areas to remedy something that can be taken care of at a more basic level with things like diff oil combinations. It's just hardly mentioned.

Every single person at our club probably has a spool for their 10th scale. My goal for this car's setup is less herky-jerky and more smooth and steady. I really don't know if anyone is running a front geared diff out there. Most people just cut the wheel and scrub speed at every chance. It's mostly compensating for the traction and surface conditions I think. Some of the VTA guys can be really smooth at those lower speeds though.

This all makes sense. I think I'm forgetting about corner exit, and what's going on there with weight transfer and power application.

Thanks folks!
I guess it depends on what you are tying to achieve with each end of the car. To me it felt like it has a lot of steering mid corner out while also being unstable in the rear. Going to a spool would give a little better drive out of the corner but would also dull the corner entry which wasn't a problem. I thought the 1 mil was a good compromise to not kill the corner entry. I'd like to try less caster as well but need to order some c hubs. As for the rear going thicker on the fluid would again try to make the car plow on entry yet make the rotation even quicker on exit which is not something I wanted. There are a lot of variables going on that affect the steering beside the viscosity in the diffs not to mention the variable of driving style so what works for me might make a mess out of your car. I'm running on high grip carpet.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
The Xray Hard Foam Bumper is the way to go

http://www.amain.com/xray-hard-foam-bumper/p393916

Once I installed this, I stopped breaking C hubs.

Bumpers are usually not universal but can be made to fit.
I think that's exactly what I'll do.......after TCS, of course
Old 03-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hayling
Which bumpers are you using? Are there any universal bumpers that people use and drill new holes in for these purposes or is it something specific? There was a company that made some wide bumpers for the TT01, but upon trying to order them, it appears the company is out of business, or the global market is sold out. Something similar to the Yokomo wide bumper sold for the bd7...
Again this is for my son's car to run his TB04 in our novice class. I used the Parma 200mm rectangular bumper and cut it with a knife, then sanded it down with a Dremel sanding drum.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone know the largest pinion that would fit on the TB04?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bmxcrx
Of you using the optional high speed gear motor adapter by Tamiya, 43T was the largest I could fit. The pinion I used was by tuning haus.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bmxcrx
I'm currently running 83/50 with 65p gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.