R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #841
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.... View Post
I have been having issues during my build regarding the transmission output shaft binding and the top cases not sitting right on my TB04pro II build. Basically the same ones already mentioned earlier in this thread by others.

It seems all of it is due to poor top case plastics not fitting right on the thinner of the two 10mm bearings on the output shafts. A touch of a grind with my dremel and everything is dare I say... 'free'. I hardly removed any material, but it made a world of difference.
I wouldn't have done that. I installed .1 millimeter shims between every hole on all the covers to the car. That freed everything up
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #842
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9and3 View Post
I'm guessing you're running without a servo-saver. With a fender'd body, I don't understand with benefits of using one, but I'm new road cars. Is skipping the servo-saver standard or recommended practice? Thanks.
It is personal preference, track and quality of servo dependent I would say. If you have a plastic gear servo, I would use a saver. Seems like people have been discussing it for over a decade on rctech (and I have not been around RC that long )

I have both direct and servo saver in my cars. My m05 has servo saver because I crash that... a lot...

In my TB04 and TA06 I use direct, I run almost exclusively at Tamiya America Raceway which I find very forgiving. I haven't broken any servos yet (I have mostly Futaba S9551s). It feels "snappier" to me. More direct

Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #843
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone had any issues with the gear differentials not being smooth? I've built one so far and it the differential is not smooth whatsoever. I've removed 0.1 mm shims on both sides and removed any flashing. The only time the differential operates smoothly, i.e notchy gear feeling is when I back the screws off a little.

When I do this, this causes the oil to leak. So obviously I'm not doing something right.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #844
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the gear differentials not being smooth? I've built one so far and it the differential is not smooth whatsoever. I've removed 0.1 mm shims on both sides and removed any flashing. The only time the differential operates smoothly, i.e notchy gear feeling is when I back the screws off a little.

When I do this, this causes the oil to leak. So obviously I'm not doing something right.
Build it to kit specs, run a pack through it, recheck.

Frankly that good advice for all the gear train.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #845
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

+1 I built my Pro II as per manual. No issues after 6 heats of racing. In fact drive line has become much smoother
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #846
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just purchased some Tamiya brand, aluminium suspension blocks (1XA and ID) for the rear of my TB04 as well as some 3racing M3 1mm thickness aluminium shims to the remove slop in the rear suspension arms. The front seems quiet slop free so I'm not going to upgrade those just yet.

Last edited by TB03Racer09; 09-06-2014 at 04:42 AM.
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #847
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
Just purchased some Tamiya brand, aluminium suspension blocks (1XA and ID) for the rear of my TB04 as well as some 3racing M3 1mm thickness aluminium shims to the remove slop in the rear suspension arms. The front seems quiet slop free so I'm not going to upgrade those just yet.
Usually to remove slop in the suspension. (1)mm is to much. (.1) is what you normally need
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #848
Tech Regular

I already have a pack of 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3mm M3 shims handly. I also wanted the thick shims on the suspension pin to be aluminium as well because I found that the plastic ones can wear down a little.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #849
Tech Regular

Solved my steering throw issue. Turned out that the link between the servo horn and bell crank was too short. I made it 32.5mm and now have all the steering I would ever need and on top of that, the steering angle is equal left and right.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #850
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How much lighter are the carbon reinforced chassis and the other CF parts are over stock parts?
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #851
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
How much lighter are the carbon reinforced chassis and the other CF parts are over stock parts?
They are barely lighter. Rear standard arm weighs 8.0g. Rear reinforced arm weighs 7.8g.

So... about 2.5% lighter. My guess is you might save ten grams if you change all the regular plastics to carbon.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #852
Tech Addict

Default Happy to report!

Now that my TB04 Pro2 is built the chassis no longer tweaked, but nice and flat. So don't let a warped chassis bother you, it will flatten out once built.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #853
Tech Master

Talking Smooth as silk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post

You running the metal or the plastic gears. I suggest using the metal. They hold up forever and much smoother.
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #854
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.... View Post
Now that my TB04 Pro2 is built the chassis no longer tweaked, but nice and flat.
Wade... just so I understand, you omitted/eliminated the chassis that came with the Pro II and substituted it with the optional (Tamiya #54596) Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Lower Deck, right?

I was wondering if that chassis was noticeable stiffer or if it was just bling. Thanks for sharing.
9and3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #855
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9and3 View Post
Wade... just so I understand, you omitted/eliminated the chassis that came with the Pro II and substituted it with the optional (Tamiya #54596) Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Lower Deck, right?

I was wondering if that chassis was noticeable stiffer or if it was just bling. Thanks for sharing.
No, I am running the chassis that came with my Pro2. Not sure, but I think it is not the reinforced version but the standard...? I could be wrong here.

But no doubt the reinforced chassis will stiffen the car up (assuming the kit one is standard chassis). The reinforced parts are much harder. I put all reinforced arms/hub/knuckles on mine because I couldn't source the non reinforced parts easily.