Like Tree11Likes

Tamiya TB04 Pro

Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
yes I have..it last a little longer than the plastic...I went for the metal..works great..
Franko, so assuming you're running part 19804570 from the DB02, have you also upgraded the pinion and ring gears on the diff end? I just worry about transferring the failure points into the diff cases.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I just worry about transferring the failure points into the diff cases.
I have never had a single failure. Anytime I've taken anything apart for one reason or another, the parts looked new, and the drive trains are very quiet.

Without being a jerkface about it, I think most of these failures are user originated. Unlike a belt, there is a right and a wrong way to set up a ring and pinion or miter gears. The miter gears are very difficult to set up. Before my TB04 turned a single wheel, I bet I had 20 hours into getting the drive train shimmed "right" - what the factory recommends is OK as a starting point, and might be OK for some users, but it's not "right" because too much end play remains. If I had to do another one, I could do it in about two.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
The ring and pinion gears aren't shimmed correctly. Either the pinion depth is wrong or the ring gear is too far away from the pinion, or both.

Were the steel gears more noisy or less noisy than the plastic ones when they were new?
The ring gear is put shim where the manual states right. I just put more until no rocking in that shim thickness direction. The pinion gear i put shim behind the pinion as well as behind the e-clip also until no rocking in the shim direction. Then I check no rocking and put aw grease moderately. But how to control the contact depth. Because there ain't much space to add shim and still can do assembly. Will Carbon gear case easier to shim.

I believe metal gear gives lesser noise. And sounds nicer.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
yes I have..it last a little longer than the plastic...I went for the metal..works great..
Hi, where to get metal gear for the ring gear and pinion gear for driving the diff. I would like to install steel to these areas too.. Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Franko, so assuming you're running part 19804570 from the DB02, have you also upgraded the pinion and ring gears on the diff end? I just worry about transferring the failure points into the diff cases.
There is standard steel diff gears built for tb04. These should be easier to replace. Google where to get steel ring and pinion is harder. So far I still cannot get any. Can only keep spare carbon ring and pinion as replacements. If you know of some place to get them. Please let me know, thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

I have never had a single failure. Anytime I've taken anything apart for one reason or another, the parts looked new, and the drive trains are very quiet.

Without being a jerkface about it, I think most of these failures are user originated. Unlike a belt, there is a right and a wrong way to set up a ring and pinion or miter gears. The miter gears are very difficult to set up. Before my TB04 turned a single wheel, I bet I had 20 hours into getting the drive train shimmed "right" - what the factory recommends is OK as a starting point, and might be OK for some users, but it's not "right" because too much end play remains. If I had to do another one, I could do it in about two.
Any chance you provide some pointers to correctly shim them. Looks forward to learning from you. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

the Pinion and the ring is not an issued. I have an extra miter gear for you to buy. Cause they come in as a set of four miter gears in the package..
I did upgraded the pinion and ring gear as well. Which it didn't need to..
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spyder_696
Any chance you provide some pointers to correctly shim them. Looks forward to learning from you. Thanks.
I'd be happy to. Won't be till later, I'll take mine apart and take pictures.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
the Pinion and the ring is not an issued. I have an extra miter gear for you to buy. Cause they come in as a set of four miter gears in the package..
I did upgraded the pinion and ring gear as well. Which it didn't need to..
Can you share where you get upgraded pinion and ring gear (part number if any). Are they carbon or steel.. Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spyder_696
Can you share where you get upgraded pinion and ring gear (part number if any). Are they carbon or steel.. Thanks
Tamiya 54593 carbon ...got it from RC market
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default TB 04 V11

Hi guys,

I am running 21.5 motor for GT3. To get the FDR down I use an exotec motor mount with 52t pinion. I added a shim from the motor mount side to make the pinion and spur gear line up. The problem is when I tighten it the top shim is hitting the 52t pinion. I wanted to shim the motor side but its impossible to shim the bottom screw.

How does anyone solve this? Btw I tried to upload a picture, but it failed.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Is the pinion as close to the motor as you can get it?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Hi CraigMBA,

Yes it is as close to the motor as possible. I think when I tighten it the exotek spacer slip and move up a little bit. Causing the shim to hit th pinion. If I loosen up 1/10 turn it doesn't hit. Did I overtighten it?

Without the spacer/shim only half of the pinion and spur line up. Little contact

I am using a CRC 52T pinion. should I use a different brand pinion?

Thanks
Danny

Last edited by fx35rc; 07-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

I discover the problem. It was the motor..I used an LRP X20. there dimple on the motor causes the pinion and spur gear alignment problem. I used another motor and its fine now
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using the hobbywing xerun v10 motor with the exotek motor adaptor on my tb04. My motor also has that 'dimple' if you look at the picture but I'm still able to get the pinion and spur to mesh perfectly without any problems. However, I'm using no shim and I use robinison racing 52/73t 64p gears

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.