R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #631
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,947
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko
Default

What seems to be the lowest FDR that you guys have been getting with the TB04? The last track big track I was at running 17.5 they were running 3.20-3.10 FDR. Seems like I have been scratching the 3.40s.

Yeah I know they make a different motor spacer but you are limited by the motor screws regardless. I might have a way to fix the limitations just have to spend time in the shop with both time and engineering.

I didn't know if there were different internal gears or newer smaller spur?
__________________
Jeffrey
teamgravityrc.com - motivrc.com
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #632
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
Default

Yeah i checked your submitted pictures,its really an awesome design and every one want to drive it,i read your post and nice to know about it in detail,i would like to buy it because its have a great fun.
Durbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #633
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
What seems to be the lowest FDR that you guys have been getting with the TB04? The last track big track I was at running 17.5 they were running 3.20-3.10 FDR. Seems like I have been scratching the 3.40s.

Yeah I know they make a different motor spacer but you are limited by the motor screws regardless. I might have a way to fix the limitations just have to spend time in the shop with both time and engineering.

I didn't know if there were different internal gears or newer smaller spur?
3.37 is achievable with 52/72 64p pinion/spur and 39t ring gears, haven't heard of anyone going lower than that. Maybe try cranking up the motor timing then see if it is still necesary to start modding

A new pair of milter gears with a different gear ratio would solve alot of the gearing issues, just need someone to make them
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #634
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
3.37 is achievable with 52/72 64p pinion/spur and 39t ring gears, haven't heard of anyone going lower than that. Maybe try cranking up the motor timing then see if it is still necesary to start modding

A new pair of milter gears with a different gear ratio would solve alot of the gearing issues, just need someone to make them
Evo5 small gears will lower the internal. I installed Evo4 small gears with the 39t ring gear which lowered it even more. My internal is 2.29
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #635
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia View Post
Evo5 small gears will lower the internal. I installed Evo4 small gears with the 39t ring gear which lowered it even more. My internal is 2.29
U mean 3.29?
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #636
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
U mean 3.29?
TB04 has an internal gear ratio of 2.5. When you change the gears like I did. It lowers the internal ratio to 2.29. Same as the Evo4
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #637
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,498
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
U mean 3.29?
3.29 would be for FDR and 2.29 is the interanl drive final..
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #638
Tech Initiate
 
Dyingslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I could use a little help from the experts on this thread regarding wear on my rear outdrives.

I upgraded my diffs to metal gears and cross memebers along with the aluminum outdrives. Unfortunately my aluminum outdrives show a bunch of wear even with the pin cushions. I have nearly 20 batteries through these and was not expecting so much wear on the rear. The aluminum outdrives on the front show no wear. Right now I am running 0.5 million weight in the front and 1000 in the rear diffs.

Should I expect to see that much wear on the rear outdrive? Could I have avoided the wear by changing the pin cushions and if so how often should I change them?

FYI I double checked the rear axle and it seems straight so I do not think the wear is coming from a bent axle vibrating in the outdrive. Since the front doesn't have any noticable wear I assume it is related to the difference in oil weight and additional loads on the rear?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB04 Pro-2014-06-30-08.38.07.jpg  
Dyingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #639
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingslow View Post
I could use a little help from the experts on this thread regarding wear on my rear outdrives.

I upgraded my diffs to metal gears and cross memebers along with the aluminum outdrives. Unfortunately my aluminum outdrives show a bunch of wear even with the pin cushions. I have nearly 20 batteries through these and was not expecting so much wear on the rear. The aluminum outdrives on the front show no wear. Right now I am running 0.5 million weight in the front and 1000 in the rear diffs.

Should I expect to see that much wear on the rear outdrive? Could I have avoided the wear by changing the pin cushions and if so how often should I change them?

FYI I double checked the rear axle and it seems straight so I do not think the wear is coming from a bent axle vibrating in the outdrive. Since the front doesn't have any noticable wear I assume it is related to the difference in oil weight and additional loads on the rear?
thats really bad wear for only 20 runs. You should check your pin cushions regularly as sometime they can split on impact. This looks like they have split without you noticing and you have ran it hence the damage.

As a contrast I have raced my 418 at least once a week (avg 4 races and practice) since the start of the year and I have no wear on my diff outdrives.

Last edited by Qatmix; 06-30-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Qatmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #640
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,498
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingslow View Post
I could use a little help from the experts on this thread regarding wear on my rear outdrives.

I upgraded my diffs to metal gears and cross memebers along with the aluminum outdrives. Unfortunately my aluminum outdrives show a bunch of wear even with the pin cushions. I have nearly 20 batteries through these and was not expecting so much wear on the rear. The aluminum outdrives on the front show no wear. Right now I am running 0.5 million weight in the front and 1000 in the rear diffs.

Should I expect to see that much wear on the rear outdrive? Could I have avoided the wear by changing the pin cushions and if so how often should I change them?

FYI I double checked the rear axle and it seems straight so I do not think the wear is coming from a bent axle vibrating in the outdrive. Since the front doesn't have any noticable wear I assume it is related to the difference in oil weight and additional loads on the rear?
it look like your outdrive is wornout once before you replace the blade afterward
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #641
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

For the people who are stripping transmission gears, check this out
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-54593-c...4-p-56528.html
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #642
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,947
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
3.37 is achievable with 52/72 64p pinion/spur and 39t ring gears, haven't heard of anyone going lower than that. Maybe try cranking up the motor timing then see if it is still necesary to start modding

A new pair of milter gears with a different gear ratio would solve alot of the gearing issues, just need someone to make them

I was at the limit of the timing. If I went beyond, blowing-up tends to happen.
__________________
Jeffrey
teamgravityrc.com - motivrc.com
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #643
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Maybe it helps to have a high rpm motor with the tb04
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #644
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 224
Default

Hi,

I've just ordered the kit, a bit early since I want to race it in the Tamiya Cup 2015 (this year I run my 8 (!) year old TT-01 in Top Stock class). Next year I want to run Euro GT class, which leads me to this chassis. Motor wise the class is restriced to:
- 54252 Tamiya brushless 16T
- 500906121 Carson shooter sport BL 16T
- 500906165 Carson waterproof set BL 16T
Any specific (Tamiya) ESC you can recommend or I should stay away from? I still run a TB101 on the TT-01, unbreakable... The new 105 went up in smoke!

I think I can use this chassis right out of the box with minor hop-ups. I saw the carbon reinforced gear set and read about the 39t gear. I am not allowed lower than 5.0 overall reduction between motor and wheels, so pinion choice is easy. Shimming the lot should not be too hard, adding a Honda HSV body is the finishing touch.

Anything I forgot? Tips welcome!

Cheers,

Hugo
HugoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #645
Tech Regular
 
TB03Racer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Hi,

I've just ordered the kit, a bit early since I want to race it in the Tamiya Cup 2015 (this year I run my 8 (!) year old TT-01 in Top Stock class). Next year I want to run Euro GT class, which leads me to this chassis. Motor wise the class is restriced to:
- 54252 Tamiya brushless 16T
- 500906121 Carson shooter sport BL 16T
- 500906165 Carson waterproof set BL 16T
Any specific (Tamiya) ESC you can recommend or I should stay away from? I still run a TB101 on the TT-01, unbreakable... The new 105 went up in smoke!

I think I can use this chassis right out of the box with minor hop-ups. I saw the carbon reinforced gear set and read about the 39t gear. I am not allowed lower than 5.0 overall reduction between motor and wheels, so pinion choice is easy. Shimming the lot should not be too hard, adding a Honda HSV body is the finishing touch.

Anything I forgot? Tips welcome!

Cheers,

Hugo
Congratulations on your new kit, did you get the pro v2?

I was going to recommend this but according to the manual it only works with sensored motors
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...s-esc-02-45057

The Honda HSV-010 body is awesome, I have already painted one for my tb04 pro V2

TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:18 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0