Wiki Posts
Search

5mm Inboard Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
If you guys are worried about a few milli ohms, you guys just need to use better plugs Try our QTEQ Banana plugs, they have 6 double contact points (for 12 total contacts) and are 24K Gold plated brass. They are priced a bit high, but they are the best banana plugs in the market today. Nothing else that we have tested is as efficient. They hold so hard that they actually came out with a plug pulling tool so that you don't yank on your wires.
I will agree with this 100%! Ive probably bought more sets of those than anyone! LOL They are awesome and dont wear out either. It is a difference you can see on a GFX when swapping from one bullet to another.

One thing I was going to add is the 5mm does make sense since electricity flows across the surface one would assume that 5mm is better than 4mm due to more surface area. But if we are not pulling enough current to exceed the surface area of a 4mm bullet do you really need 5mm?

EA
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

Nice ill be curious to see your results Ea
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
One thing I was going to add is the 5mm does make sense since electricity flows across the surface one would assume that 5mm is better than 4mm due to more surface area. But if we are not pulling enough current to exceed the surface area of a 4mm bullet do you really need 5mm?

EA

The "skin effect" you are talking about will have no effect on the battery connection. Skin effect only becomes a problem with high current, high frequency AC circuits (Or pulsating DC Circuits).

The 5mm should offer more surface area, for a firmer, less resistive connection, but in real world, you will never notice a difference..

Pure advertising/marketing gimick.

Shawn.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
The "skin effect" you are talking about will have no effect on the battery connection. Skin effect only becomes a problem with high current, high frequency AC circuits (Or pulsating DC Circuits).

The 5mm should offer more surface area, for a firmer, less resistive connection, but in real world, you will never notice a difference..

Pure advertising/marketing gimick.

Shawn.
Yes that is basically what I was stating....as in all the other post Ive made on this thread about the 5mm. But I just posed it as a question to everyone to see if people actually thought we were pulling enough current for the size of the connection to matter.

The only place I have seen where I "thought" they were pulling enough current to matter was at the snowbirds this past year in 1S mod oval. Most all of the fast guys were melting the wire off of the bullet at battery. Once I gave a few guys some of the GOOD Qtep bullets from Reflex racing none of them had issues. So they were not pulling to much current for the size of the connector....just too much for the crappy bullet they had on their cars.

EA
Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If they both provide the same performance then how about using both? One 4mm port and one 5mm port, this is one way for people to avoid plugging in their batteries wrong when using bullet connectors. At least for the people who don't do the one wire is shorter so it can't reach trick.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

GM did that a couple of years back, they had 1 off 3.5mm and 1 off 4mm, not sure if they still do them, or, if 3.5mm would be considered too small and would actually make a difference.