R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Comm lathe?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/74887-comm-lathe.html)

4ou 06-11-2005 08:06 PM

Comm lathe??

This might be a stupid question but what do alot of you do when it comes to turning your comm? Reason i ask is i dont have access to a lathe so i was wondering if using some fine sand paper would give me close to the same results as a lathe would? What is everyones opinion on that?

Hyperform Racing 06-11-2005 08:12 PM

I've heard of some people using a dremel and sandpaper. Please don't do it, not the hot setup. If your local hobby shop or a local racer can't hook you up, mail them to me with return postage and I will cut them for free.

edseb 06-11-2005 09:04 PM

Don't do it, you could really wreck your motor.

dakrat 06-11-2005 09:08 PM

that is the dumbest idea ever! dont do it. you will never have a round arm. you'll be better off not cutting the comm at all. someone should have a lathe at the track.

BrentL 06-13-2005 04:13 PM

you'd be better off never cutting the comm then using an dremel

axel 06-13-2005 04:22 PM

VERY BAD IDEA. This will end up costing you another $30 for a new motor, when you could use that money to save up for a lathe. Right now i'm trying to find what lathe to get. I found a $100 one at sheldonshobbies.com. It is made from Team Cobra. ;)

Joe B 06-13-2005 07:50 PM

Yea, like the others said, have a hobby shop or someone at the track do it for you until your able to purchase a "decent" lathe of your own.......if you want your motors to last as long as possible and run at their peak, there's pretty much no way around it...good luck :cool:

rcnewb2004 06-14-2005 01:52 AM

Like everyone else said.

If you need a lathe and can do highschool electronics, 3racing has a lathe for less than $100 USD. (That's a pretty good price IMO) Any troubles building/using the lathe, PM me, or ask someone at the track for help.

Good Luck!

raving-monkey 06-14-2005 05:31 AM

i use the 3racing lathe...does its job for me.

you have to solder your own wires to the motor and switch (and you need to get your own slave motor but their cheap as chips)....soldering to the switch is fairly fiddley because the switch is right in the middle of this block type thing...i just clip straight onto the motor.

reason being if you apply to much heat to the switch, it will melt and even the button get stuck in or the 2 contacts come together and make the switch useless.

rcnewb2004 06-14-2005 07:49 AM

Well said Raving Monkey,

I infact had to remove the switch to solder it. I used a old 540 motor that came stock w/ TL-01s. Attached 4x1.2V cells to it, and it worked like a beauty.

$100 USD for a lathe that does the job as good as any HUDY I have seen and paid to use?

Its all good.

raving-monkey 06-14-2005 08:13 AM

how did you get the switch out?

i was sat there for ages trying to figure out how to get it out.

rcnewb2004 06-14-2005 05:25 PM

Lol, I can't remember anymore, it was a year ago, and only did it once.

(I know I can remove the switch because my switch was broken and I bought my own and replaced the switch) so I know it was removable.

The only thing I can recall is something to do with removing 3mm hex screws...

I will have to take a look at my lathe and tell u.