Search

2013 Euros

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbo99
It's my idea that touring cars have become;

More awesome to watch,a challenge to set up to get every possible gain you can,fantastic amount of series to enter or watch,and factory drivers are traveling everywhere so you get a chance to meet them.
Yes,at the top level it is expensive,but wow these guys can drive!
Relax and enjoy.
Life's too darn short.
Completely agree.
Add to that reliable electronics, no dumping issues, not much motor maintenance
All we need is a little more positive thinking and whoever does not enjoy the speed there is always the choice to run stock classes.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

For me sheer speed is not everything
i am more intrigued with what touring cars used to be with several types of chassis and formats all competitive even though top speeds were not that high
Also higher speeds make it stressful and more incident prone for mere mortals-more easy to be called a hack due to a simple moment of loss of concentration
Higher speeds mean more wear for drivetrain components also
Also seeing the same faces again and again dominating is not interesting. I like to see people with talent and who have done their homework (practice/preparation etc) being able to move up, not those who have 1000 USD to pay per race
From a manufacturers point of view if people find it very difficult to be competitive without spending a lot of money they eventually move to another class (eg off road) - low sales to follow

I hope major changes occur to save touring cars from becoming a totally elite class like 1/8 on road gas

Also why not go back to wider touring cars? More lateral grip available in a natural way , less sensitive to roll center migration , more inherently stable, less dependent on tires ( heck why not race on foams of every width you desire -up to a defined regulated limit that can be relatively easily be found through some testing).Also keep the number of tires to be used regulated .All in all insert the element of "what i want to do with the available grip and the balance of the car" and remove the element of "f&$K new tires every run my pocket burns" to keep this toy car from being an undrivable missile

Heck if you make them buggy width you might see also a lot of offroad people giving it a try with a conversion kit etc , as it used to be in the very start of touring cars- back then it was a class that was very competitive but in which people could also enter and be competitive with a converted buggy or a bespoke kit

As for spectacle , there will always be factory drivers to make ANY class spectacular to see but it is the mere mortals who pay for the bucks needed to keep the product moving and the factory drivers paid

QUOTE=Timbo99;12419917]It's my idea that touring cars have become;

More awesome to watch,a challenge to set up to get every possible gain you can,fantastic amount of series to enter or watch,and factory drivers are traveling everywhere so you get a chance to meet them.
Yes,at the top level it is expensive,but wow these guys can drive!
Relax and enjoy.
Life's too darn short.[/QUOTE]