Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Krypton or Ti or Pt >

Krypton or Ti or Pt

Krypton or Ti or Pt

Old 11-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Krypton or Ti or Pt

Hi guys, I need your help because I want to buy new motors to replace my old ones:

I run in France, so we are only allowed to use 12T. I run in two tracks (asphalt), one is tight and the other is big.

I want to buy Reedy motors but I don't know which one is the best.

A lot of persons told me that the Ti are better than the Krypton?????? What do you think about it?

And about the new Pt????

What are the best brushes 1/ for a race (1 or 2 runs) 2/ To practice (10 runs) ????

Thanks for your answer!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Pt was designed for Oval racing primarily and it has near zero torque. It may have some use in a turn-limited environment but I don’t run anything over a 10 so I can’t comment on that.

In my experience, the Kr is faster than the Ti ON A BIG TRACK. The Kr’s have to be timed more carefully and geared correctly but when you find their sweet spot, they’re sweeeetttttt. A lot of the people bashing the Kr on here are using them on a small carpet track or something like that and then gearing and timing them like a Ti and wondering why they dump all the time and have no punch.

On the other hand, the Ti remains hard to beat on a tight track. Basically, if you’re committed to buying multiple motors, buy one of each expect for the Pt.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

markA could not have said it better myself

kr's smoke everything on a big flowing track
Old 11-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

IMO and from what I've seen through running them, Kr's tend to run like they are two turns lower than they are. A fellow 12th scale racer who races mod made a good observation about the motor in 12th scale mod. Running anything below a 9 or 10 turn is not wise because those would be like 7's and 8's of the same wind in a Ti. Now some guys are wondering why they dump 8 turn Kr's in 12th scale is because it's running like a 6 turn!! They run 8 turns and gear them like 8 turns, so therefore, are overgeared, and thus, they dump. Like MarkA said, if you can get the timing and gearing right for the track, Kr's really rip. I have two 10x1's and they sure aren't anywhere near slow in my touring car.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Thaks for the informations guys
Old 11-16-2003, 03:35 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Hugo
Are you allowed running motors with four magnets in France?
I know in Europe this isn´t everywhere. Here the four magnets motors aren´t allowed maybe next year.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

V12,

Yes, we are allowed to. There is no restriction. I didn't know that in Germany 4 magnet were forbidden.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

I got an other question,

I know that there is "Euro spec" for Ti motors (big track spec) and the same for the Kr (called big track). Do you use them???
I got the references:

1/#AS564 Reedy Kr 12 single, motor, modified (wind for big tracks)

2/REEDY Ti TITANIUM "EURO" WINDS:
#AS336 Reedy Ti Titanium Modified 12 single

Descriptive:
European race tracks are traditionally much larger than those raced on in the USA. Many tracks cater for a number of different classes of racing and have a large emphasis on top speed. Mike Reedy has recognised this and has subsequently developed two 12-turn winds especially for the needs of larger race tracks.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:02 AM
V12
Tech Elite

But I doubt a KR will be faster than a Ti with 12turn limit. If you look at this years touring Euros the Ti´s were clearly faster. Also at other races in Europe most Reedy drivers stay with the Ti.

But if you are not limited to a Reedy motor I would go for a Team Orion at the moment. The old motors were good but the new V2 will be the motors to beat.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

V12,

Do youknow which one is the best for touring?

V2 touring (I suppose they are for TC)
V2 Hara (what is the difference between this one and the tourig one???)
V2 Steenari for off-road I suppose.

Do you know which brushes are the best for race ; practice...

Do you know a shop where I can buy them on-line in europe for a low price???

Thanks
Old 11-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Hugo, The V2 hara has a different armature. Orion are being a little quite about the differences. I'm sure i have seen it somewhere, but it doesn't seem widely publicised at the moment.

The Kr is defenetly faster than the Ti for 12 turn european racing. However there is a problem, and that is that they take more from the cells (i was struggling to last at some tracks) and also there is more heat so it is a little hard on the brushes.

I think the Euro spec Ti's use an arm with a thinner web for more RPM, although i am not totally sure.

I actually think the PT may well be a good motor for big touring tracks with the 12 turn limit. I haven't had the oportunity to try one though.

Personally i use the Fantom range of motors, which are obviously based on Reedy components. We have both Ti's and Kr's. The Ti uses the High RPM arm and is very good for 12 turn racing. Like i say the Kr is faster, providing you can get it to last and not overheat.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:48 AM
V12
Tech Elite

I think most important is what works best overall. I don´t say the KR is slower than a Ti. But as it seems at least with 12T windings the KR won´t last 5 minutes with acceptable speed so you have to gear down and in the end it´s slower than a Ti. Exactly that happened at the Euro´s and it seems to be the same at other tracks. Maybe same at carpet. At the HPI/Team Orion race in Zillisheim I think the Reedy drivers also used Ti´s.

Hugo
If you want to know more about the different V2´s maybe it´s a good idea going to the Team Orion website and asking there in the forum. http://www.team-orion.com/toptalk/po...at=&Board=UBB2
There is existing a V2 thread already.
Regarding brushes there are 2 different. One longlife for practice and one for race. The V2 uses a special round shaped brush so you can´t use any other. Regarding a shop I don´t know.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys for your very good answers
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default reedy 12 turn single RPM? help pleeeese

hi guys! reedy dont seem to be replying and giving me any help and im having no luck anywhere else. does ANYONE know what rpm the reedy 12t single motor produces at 7.2v?? and even at 9.6v?? im just trying to work out how fast my heels are turning and if so how fast the trucks going and the only info im lacking is the motor speed. please help anyone! thanks!