R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Great TC Class (Foam modified outdoors) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/74781-great-tc-class-foam-modified-outdoors.html)

PhatPat 06-10-2005 09:27 AM

Great TC Class (Foam modified outdoors)

Here in the wendi city we've had 2 years great success with this class. It's fast, economical and growing in popularity. I'm just curious does any other tracks run this class or are we the only ones city on planet earth running electric foam outdoors.

McSmooth 06-10-2005 09:42 AM

OVRCCC in Parkersburg, WV also runs foam on asphalt.

www.ovrccc.com

edseb 06-10-2005 09:48 AM

A lot of places don't run foam since it isn't legal in electric for asphault. No point in setting your car to run them and then go to a bigger race to have to reset up yourr car. I' ve raced on the east coast and lots of places run them there though. Economical? I wouldn't say that. Foams wear out fast on asphault, have to bee run on a really well prepared surfaces, need to be lathed to be good, chunk, etc. I'm not saying it's more expensive, I just wouldn't say it's economical.

newracer 06-10-2005 10:25 AM

My local track has just started to run this class. We are still experimenting with different tires to see what works best. I will be running some CRC ones this weekend.

Espo 06-10-2005 10:37 AM

Not much is faster than foams. Puts gas car to shame. Super fun, real cheap.No blisters, :ha: dont hit nothen

THE_REAL_FROBOY 06-10-2005 10:40 AM

i agree nothing is worse than putting on too soft of tires and blistering them and there goes your new set of tires. foams will just have lots of traction

knapster 06-10-2005 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Espo
Not much is faster than foams. Puts gas car to shame. Super fun, real cheap.No blisters, :ha: dont hit nothen

I could'nt of said if better.
We've been running it in MIchigan for years.

Espo 06-10-2005 10:51 AM

Foam is just sooo fast. They last forever. Rubbers are for guys that need protection :ha: :ha: :ha: :cry: :lol: :lol:

Nexus 06-10-2005 10:59 AM

phatpat...what's up.

foams on asphault is awesome! if you aren't practicing for any big "sanctioned" races like reedy, roar nats, ect running foams if great!

as for wear....they last forever outdoors. don't try to run your indoor cyan - magenta combo or anything though.

most of us have either cut 30mm nitro rears down to 28mm, use 26mm fronts all around, or use a harder compound 28mm indoor foam. any of these combinations will work well.

we run modified on a big track (180+ ft straight) and have no problems with wear.

phatpat....see you sunday if you are there.

CypressMidWest 06-10-2005 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Espo
Foam is just sooo fast. They last forever. Rubbers are for guys that need protection :ha: :ha: :ha: :cry: :lol: :lol:

'Sup Espo? FOAMS ARE KING!

AdrianM 06-10-2005 11:07 AM

First of all if you can keep the racing casual you can skip half of this. However, if you get one guy that shows up and knows what he's doing and he does the following he will blow your doors off and then its not fun anymore...running foams hardcore is a lot of work.

1. Keep in mind that if you are running foams every time you have a 2% reduction in tire circumference (~1mm) you have to recalculate your roll out and adjust your gear ratio or you will be slower. This is no big deal on carpet due to low wear but on asphalt you can lose 1mm in one run.

2. As you tires get smaller you car will get lower so remember to raise ride height. When you raise ride height you reduce droop so after raising you car reset you droop. Your camber will also be reduced when you raise a car so you have to reset camber too. If you wear away more than .5mm per run you will have to do all of this every run.

3. The tires seemed to be fastest at 58-59mm in diameter. 57mm is still ok. Once you get smaller than 57 you start losing side bite and your lap time will get slower. This means that if you lose 1mm per run the tires are good for 3 runs max.

FYI, Rubber tire never change 2% in diameter from when they are new to when they are worn out. Most good rubber tires now days are good for 4 open mod runs and double that if you run 19T or Stock. After that they are 1-2/10ths off when they were new but still good for practice for another 6-8 runs.

jag88 06-10-2005 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by AdrianM
First of all if you can keep the racing casual you can skip half of this. However, if you get one guy that shows up and knows what he's doing and he does the following he will blow your doors off and then its not fun anymore...running foams hardcore is a lot of work.

1. Keep in mind that if you are running foams every time you have a 2% reduction in tire circumference (~1mm) you have to recalculate your roll out and adjust your gear ratio or you will be slower. This is no big deal on carpet due to low wear but on asphalt you can lose 1mm in one run.

2. As you tires get smaller you car will get lower so remember to raise ride height. When you raise ride height you reduce droop so after raising you car reset you droop. Your camber will also be reduced when you raise a car so you have to reset camber too. If you wear away more than .5mm per run you will have to do all of this every run.

3. The tires seemed to be fastest at 58-59mm in diameter. 57mm is still ok. Once you get smaller than 57 you start losing side bite and your lap time will get slower. This means that if you lose 1mm per run the tires are good for 3 runs max.

FYI, Rubber tire never change 2% in diameter from when they are new to when they are worn out. Most good rubber tires now days are good for 4 open mod runs and double that if you run 19T or Stock. After that they are 1-2/10ths off when they were new but still good for practice for another 6-8 runs.

Absolutly correct !

AdrianM 06-10-2005 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus
phatpat...what's up.

foams on asphault is awesome! if you aren't practicing for any big "sanctioned" races like reedy, roar nats, ect running foams if great!

as for wear....they last forever outdoors. don't try to run your indoor cyan - magenta combo or anything though.

most of us have either cut 30mm nitro rears down to 28mm, use 26mm fronts all around, or use a harder compound 28mm indoor foam. any of these combinations will work well.

we run modified on a big track (180+ ft straight) and have no problems with wear.

phatpat....see you sunday if you are there.

Depends where you run. Asphalt in Florida is made from crushed coral and is equal to 80 grit sand paper. I need a new set of foams for my 1/12th every race day. Of course I true my tires down to be small and fast from the get go.

pistolpete 06-10-2005 11:23 AM

I think it really depends on the traction of the track, as far as tire wear goes. I have run 42 shore Lime TRC's in the front and 40 shore Purple TRC's in the rear and after 5 runs I only had 1mm of wear. That was with a 19t on a very big track. I started tire diameter at 61mm.

pistolpete 06-10-2005 11:27 AM

Here is the track in P'cola I run at with foams.http://www.hobbycentralrc.com/