Wiki Posts
Search

Hardware issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hardware issues!

So I am building 3racing's sakura zero s kit and I have had nothing but issues with the hardware. I have stripped 6+ screws because it seems that my tool (the right size Allen key) wont go in all the way or it strips when I turn it. I'm not doing anything crazy to the screws they just seem to be cheap so I ordered all new hardware to replace it (better quality) but I just lost 4 of those due to stripping the head. It seems as it becomes harder to turn into the plastic parts my tools begins to slip out of the head for some reason. Should I not be using an Allen key? I feel like an idiot with this issue but I just don't get it. This is not my first rc car but it is my first build kit. Is there some better tool I should be using to prevent this? Thanks guys.

Sean
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A L wrench works but a hex driver is much better and one with hardened tips will last many years and much less rounded out screws. What happens is the tip of the wrench starts to round then it rounds the head of the screw. Or the kit has really soft metal screws. For kits that come with sub par hardware I would tap the holes with a good hard screw you have then use the kit hardware. I had to do this when assembling a FGX F1.

But on a side note if your in the hobby for a bit look into MIP, Hudy or other quality drivers. You don't need the whole kit typically you only use a few sizes.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Welcome to 3Racing...

My Zero S was the same way. My Hudy tools wouldn't fit in the 2mm screw heads. They were all undersized. You should be using a hex driver to make your life easier though, but thats no guarantee it's going to fit their screws like it should. This is one of the problems with buying these super cheap kits. They have no QC. So you get what you get.

Another solution would be to just replace the screws.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

My ARC R10 had an issue like that. On that car, it seemed the hex of the screw was not deep enough and did not let the hex driver get deep enough to completely seat. I just swapped out the offending screws with some I had in my pit box.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default add a tap to your tool kit also

I find using a tap helps so much with the plastic parts when installing the screws plus I feel it holds the screws tighter.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yeah I always try to tap all screws tat go into plastic. Makes the assembling of kits go so much easier. Then no more stripped heads too
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The plastics on the Zero S are very tough and I had issues as well, but managed to build mine without stripping the plastics or rounding the heads of the bolts.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help guys, I borrowed my friends hex and I just ordered a hudy hex head for my small drill. For the guys that have the sakura zero s, how do you like it? I got it just to get me back into onroad rc. I plan on running it in stock touring class. Any advice on set up? Again thanks for everyone's input.