R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   cracked magnet on V2 Revolution Hara? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/74565-cracked-magnet-v2-revolution-hara.html)

VenomWorldOrder 06-08-2005 12:39 AM

cracked magnet on V2 Revolution Hara?

:flaming:

hi i just bought my first brushed motor (always run brushless) and i have found that one of the magnets in the can has a crack going diagonally down the face of the magnet. the crack also seems to go right through the magnet.

it also has a "wet look" were it sems they have usedglue to fix it.

the motor was purchased new from a shop over the net that seems to be very trust worthy. i have bought stuff from these guys several times, the motor box was in shrink wrap.

because i bought this OS obviously i can't take it back to the Australian importers, so i have sent a email to the shop i bought it from in the USA.

anyone had this issue before with a V2 or any other motor? and how would a cracked magnet effect the performance? :mad: :mad:

Jack2 06-08-2005 12:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hello, VWO, its your lucky day, the other day I ran one of my V2's and it kinda self destructed on me with still good comm left, very disapointed I was , only had about 3 light cuts on it. Take a look at the Arm. It also ripped up the endbell. SOOO I have a pretty fresh V2 can that I could sell if you want it.
PM me if your intrested.

Jack2 06-08-2005 01:24 AM

The comm was ripped up when it threw a wind off, and that's the second motor I have had throw a wind this year. :eek:

dontfeelcold 06-08-2005 03:39 AM

what wind was that? What gearing where you running to do that?

Jack2 06-08-2005 04:01 AM

It was a 10x1 br00d armature. Geared at 8.977 FDR
second run since cut, standard sprint brushes, Rheinard stiff (.35) springs and 18 degrees of timing. It was geared quite well, as I was experimenting with gearing a little because it was a brand new track, and 8.9ish seemed to be the best gearing for the track. It was making good power up until it happened, but will have to drop a turn or too next time, all I can put it down to was it was revving too high for two long, but couldn't gear any higher otherwise in the midfield it would of been too slow, and it threw a wind almost at the end of the straight. Tough luck :nod:

VenomWorldOrder 06-08-2005 04:27 AM

so what should i do? the magnet looks dead set cracked :rolleyes: :mad:

you can see it at one point in the magnet going through the width of the magnet. :cry: :weird: :flaming:

Jack2 06-08-2005 04:44 AM

As I said, I have a pretty fresh V2 can if you are intrested.
Having the crack in the magnet probably wouldn't hurt it *that* much, look at the quad magnet consept, but I wouldn't trust the magnet's quality, and since one magnet is cracked and one is not that will cause an imbalance, so unless you want to try and get a replacment motor, you going to have to replace the can.

Davo 06-08-2005 05:00 AM

OS

Hi,

If u are so mad?? then y buy from OS again?? If u would of brought it from here mb u would of had a good motor and if this happened in Aus then u would of got a replacement for sure.

414play 06-08-2005 05:26 AM

he could have bought two motors o/s and still saved money on buying one here.

VenomWorldOrder 06-08-2005 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Davo
Hi,

If u are so mad?? then y buy from OS again?? If u would of brought it from here mb u would of had a good motor and if this happened in Aus then u would of got a replacement for sure.

yeah this is the obvious logic. but at the end of the day i am after cheaper prices. if i bought in Australia i would of payed a higher price, i would of still had a chance of getting a cracked magnet. yeah sure, i would of gotten a replacement quicker probably but i still would of payed more.

i'm always going to shop were it is cheaper for me. either way i would of run the risk of a cracked magnet if i shoped OS or in OZ. if i shoped in oz all i would of gotten as an advantage is a motor replacement in 5 days instead of 2 weeks or more. this is the risk we take..

i've already sent a email to team orion. so it's all good. just gotta sit and wait. :cry:

Davo 06-08-2005 06:22 AM

Hi

Ok,

I wasnt saying anything is wrong with OS im just saying this sumtimes happens and if u are getting your stuff from OS then u have to be on the ALERT that u might get a dogey product this causing you to delay racing for a while.

David

DIMO 06-08-2005 07:19 AM

why dontcha

Hey VWO why dont u go and try the DC Motorosport Modified from Harris R/C. It might be worth a good try and these blokes are usually very reliable.

That or if u check the for sale forum there are a few 2nd hand mod motors for sale,

BTW, are u getting a brushed for the HPI winterchumps, i thought u drove a sexray

Rick Hohwart 06-08-2005 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
:flaming:

hi i just bought my first brushed motor (always run brushless) and i have found that one of the magnets in the can has a crack going diagonally down the face of the magnet. the crack also seems to go right through the magnet.

it also has a "wet look" were it sems they have usedglue to fix it.

the motor was purchased new from a shop over the net that seems to be very trust worthy. i have bought stuff from these guys several times, the motor box was in shrink wrap.

because i bought this OS obviously i can't take it back to the Australian importers, so i have sent a email to the shop i bought it from in the USA.

anyone had this issue before with a V2 or any other motor? and how would a cracked magnet effect the performance? :mad: :mad:

Magnets crack for one reason, when they take a hard blow either from a crash (when installed) or dropped (when in transit). If the motor was new and never used, it was likely cracked at some point during transport.

If the shop fail to fix your problem, and if you feel you can install a new can yourself, please email Team Orion USA your contact information and we will ship you a new can.

Do not run the motor with a cracked magnet. It may run properly if it is all glued in still. But if a piece breaks free you can destroy the armature.

BTW, the wet look is normal for the original glue that holds the magnets in. It was probably not from a repair job.

VenomWorldOrder 06-08-2005 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Magnets crack for one reason, when they take a hard blow either from a crash (when installed) or dropped (when in transit). If the motor was new and never used, it was likely cracked at some point during transport.

If the shop fail to fix your problem, and if you feel you can install a new can yourself, please email Team Orion USA your contact information and we will ship you a new can.

Do not run the motor with a cracked magnet. It may run properly if it is all glued in still. But if a piece breaks free you can destroy the armature.

BTW, the wet look is normal for the original glue that holds the magnets in. It was probably not from a repair job.

yeah i emailed someone at team orion after rcshack.com gave me this email. . the wet look is going across the crack.
yeah it was definately broken in transit, (hard to imagine considering all the foam and the box wasn;'t damaged) :rolleyes: i'll wait for the reply and then send them the full motor.

stasi, nah i just ordered another v2, i'll run vrushed for the winternats then get the novak gtb velocity. probably keep the hacker and uforce for moorebank electric days... or maybe not who wants to by a hacker+ uforce 75 vrs 3 for $450 australian :lol:

anyway, can you post that email address rick so i can check it is the same i sent it to?

Rick Hohwart 06-09-2005 07:07 AM

Your email arrived. Our customer service department will email back if they have any questions.