R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default ? shopping for USED TC

I am shopping for a used tc. Are those used and hi mileage TC really difficult to set up? I know used is used, try to aviod up coming set-up related pita? Usually buying used i can save more than 50% as new. Thanks
Models in mind: TC5 or TC6.
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

If buying used buy as recent a car as you can. 2011 or newer i should think. Really depends who owned your prospective car and their habbits. Lots of really high end cars get totally butchered by noobs who just dot know better.

Whatever you buy expect to tear the car down completely and build as per the manual.

If you have up to $275 to spend get the spec r new.
My stuff
Sanwa M12 - Xray T4/16 - Xray Nt1/16 - CRC XTI-WC - ProAMPS - Hobbywing - ReVTECH - ORCA
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I bought a lot of used TC (usually just xrays). I usually try to just keep it to cars run only on carpet, as the chassis is usually in better condition. However, try to find local ones if you can.
Xray | Airtronics | R1Wurks LiPo | Hobbywing
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Just be smart about buying.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Associated doesn't have the best plastics, they wear out a lot faster than some other brands. Thats probably the first thing you want to check when buying a used Associated. Luckily parts are relatively inexpensive but I would always factor that into the price of a used car.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Team Associated has a refurbished section on their website and ocassionally one may find a decent kit on sale.Good luck.
Rc 10L (x6)
(.......in 2010, I jus' may get to run one.)-Irrgang Racing Service;TeamCRP. R.I.P. Billy 105
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If looking for a used kit, the T3 '12 can be had for a good price and its definitely a quality kit. I moved from Associated to XRAY and there was a substantial difference in quality and longevity of the plastics. Wouldn't say it made me faster, but much less hastle, as it broke less and certain parts don't wear nearly as much on the XRAY.
SpeedMerchant Rev7
oceanhighz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I shop carpet only having bought 10-15 used tc cars all being Xray or TOP. they have always been in 90%+ condition . I have pulled a few of them down after getting them to oil bearings or put new ball cups on / rebuild diffs . but that's it . also make sure ur buying from a on road guy . we tend to by more ocd about our cars (even if we run off road as a second choice) vs the off road guy that run on road . yes I just sterio typed but from the 5 different tracks I run at I have only met 4 off road guys very ocd about their cars that run both on&off road
Justin & Matt Lyons
Sponsored by awesomatix, EA motorsports, sanwa, Protoform, Avid, and Gravity Rc!
a800s sanwa m12s, EAM motors/batteries
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All great advice.

Used XRAYs probably are, on average, a safer buy than most other brands, but I have met many guys, both onroad and offroad, who I would never buy anything from, unless it was still in it's factory sealed packaging.

The only used cars I've ever bought were barely used and were from racers I know personally. Guys who really know how to build and maintain their cars and the deals were just far too good to pass up. I also knew exactly why they were selling their cars and it had nothing to do with the cars.

Good luck.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote