Wiki Posts
Search

Tires tires tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
The fastest tires on the market, are no longer on the market. But you CAN still get them.

Take-off 27s or Yokomo 138s, or 139s. On my tracks around here, they are worth .3 or .5 + per lap (18 second laps) over a fresh set of sorexs, and are many times longer lasting. With a modern production TC rubber tire, you cannot race head to head against a comperable driver running these tires. You wont be able to keep up.

http://www.rcspeedshop.net/old-school-kicks.html
I haven't used any tires that work better than sorex yet, but I have heard good things about take-off 27s before, so I just ordered some to try out. Hope you get commissions, Captain.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
I haven't used any tires that work better than sorex yet, but I have heard good things about take-off 27s before, so I just ordered some to try out. Hope you get commissions, Captain.
You are going to have guys coming up to you wondering what the heck you did to your car... trust me But no.. no commission. Just lucky enough to be sponsored by Brett Sisly (team schumacher), the guy that runs the company. Around here, you compete with Brett's tires, or you don't compete (well you know.. you can still do totally well on other tires, but these provide quite an edge)

The cool thing about the 27s and the 138/139s, is that we run them in the cooler mornings, and hotter afternoons, and they hook up perfect in both conditions... after run #5 or 6, they look like a 2 run sorex. (i.e... the physical wear on the tire seems to take 3x longer to happen then anything being made today)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

The fastest tires on the market, are no longer on the market. But you CAN still get them.

Take-off 27s or Yokomo 138s, or 139s. On my tracks around here, they are worth .3 or .5 + per lap (18 second laps) over a fresh set of sorexs, and are many times longer lasting. With a modern production TC rubber tire, you cannot race head to head against a comperable driver running these tires. You wont be able to keep up.

I don't think it's just the tyres, but also the inserts that matter a lot.

The current BRCA national tyre is the most popular, partly because it's a few £ cheaper than most others and partly because with it's current yellow insert it's quicker than the same tyres and wheels with the previous grey inserts they used to use.

No longer have any CS22's or 27's as they were just too old so got thrown out.

Skiddins
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I don't think it's just the tyres, but also the inserts that matter a lot.

The current BRCA national tyre is the most popular, partly because it's a few £ cheaper than most others and partly because with it's current yellow insert it's quicker than the same tyres and wheels with the previous grey inserts they used to use.

No longer have any CS22's or 27's as they were just too old so got thrown out.

Skiddins
Thats correct... choosing a wheel that has the flex c haracteristics you are looking for, and the proper insert, are important. But the manufacturing process of rubber tires back then is a lot differen then it is now, due to some amount of regulation, that they just cant' compete. I recommend trying a pair of the oldschool kiks for yourself, and you will see
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default rubber degradation

Skiddins commented that he had some cs27's but they were too old and he threw them out..

Could it be a risk buying the cs27's that are available? based on their shelf life age.
I presume they were manufactured a long time ago.?

How fast do rubber tires degrade in storage?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dragobrat
Skiddins commented that he had some cs27's but they were too old and he threw them out..

Could it be a risk buying the cs27's that are available? based on their shelf life age.
I presume they were manufactured a long time ago.?

How fast do rubber tires degrade in storage?
These tires that Brett Sisley is selling are STELLAR. They look and feel like they were manufactured yesterday. Contact him through his website and and questions about the tires if you need more info... The entire point of what he is doing, is to get better tires on people's cars, to improve performance... that's it.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a set of cs-27's that I bought for a nationals race in '00 or '01. I think that was also the first time I met Brett. I put them on for fun (practice) a few weeks ago and they ran pretty well. It was pretty cool. I'll give them a qualifier at the next Fantasy world.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by big al
I have a set of cs-27's that I bought for a nationals race in '00 or '01. I think that was also the first time I met Brett. I put them on for fun (practice) a few weeks ago and they ran pretty well. It was pretty cool. I'll give them a qualifier at the next Fantasy world.
Come visit us under our EZups at the next FW race and lets chat it up. Brett really knows his stuff, and we will have a ton of different tires to look at, and you can buy them right from Brett, or sometimes Dave has some of his tires to sell too. He can explain, in much better detail than I, why and how the yokomos and CSs are so much better.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If there in limited supply why would we need them ....you will only be faster until they run out ....then its back to Sorex lol
Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are these any good on carpet? I find it hard to believe that tires haven't improved in 10 years.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tires have improved in the past 10 years to accommodate the rare chemical which is not available any more. A rubber softener I believe.
This is the reason why the good "OLD SCHOOL" tires still perform better then current ones.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

i picked up a set of volante 32r and will be testing these tomorrow,they have a slighty smaller air gap to the sorex ,has anyone else tried these?
i have 3 new sets to put back to back
an old but new set of cs27's,the ones with the dot(team specials i was led to believe)
new set of sorex 32r
and the volante's
i have another set of cs27's but i dont have any wheels to build them up,i still have my old hara grey inserts which were the insert of choice,ill give them ago soon
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Steve S
I find it hard to believe that tires haven't improved in 10 years.
you'd think... but nope. quite the contrary.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i picked up a set of volante 32r and will be testing these tomorrow,they have a slighty smaller air gap to the sorex ,has anyone else tried these?
i have 3 new sets to put back to back
an old but new set of cs27's,the ones with the dot(team specials i was led to believe)
new set of sorex 32r
and the volante's
i have another set of cs27's but i dont have any wheels to build them up,i still have my old hara grey inserts which were the insert of choice,ill give them ago soon
Hi, I am looking forward to reading your review.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I still have a couple sets NIP. I can consider my self lucky. I run the CS-27s outdoors during the cold months. They usually work well. The rims are harder to clean because they are porous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.