800490 90T
800492 92T
800494 94T
800496 96T

http://www.kenonhobby.com/NEW-ARRIVE_c_176.html
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Been fortunate to test these over the last month. Gears are good quality and the combination of 14 balls and the design provide the best diff action with excellent launch.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So you fill up the little reservoir with oil (not grease)?

When you accelerate the balls move backwards slightly? The plates push the grease off the balls into the small well behind the ball? And the centrifugal force relubes the balls each time?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis
So you fill up the little reservoir with oil (not grease)?

When you accelerate the balls move backwards slightly? The plates push the grease off the balls into the small well behind the ball? And the centrifugal force relubes the balls each time?
You build your diff as you would normally. The gear is directional in rotation now, so that under acceleration the ball is forced into the narrow portion of the hole in the gear and "locks the diff" then when you let up and/or apply braking they free back up and act as normal. Really noticeable under acceleration. 14 balls provides a nice smooth diff as well. I've been very impressed and am happy as I don't need to machine my spur gears any longer
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess you could run them the other way around to get no locking action correct?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Very interesting indeed.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dropped by your shop one afternoon, but it was closed. according to your track hours you were open, is it located somewhere else?

i will call ahead next time, but was wondering if you had regular hours or not?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I guess you could run them the other way around to get no locking action correct?
You might get some locking under deceleration and brakes.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Next version for Tamiya F1 Ball Diff coming soon.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I bought a couple of the 96t spurs to try in a mod 12th on asphalt. I figured it might be useful with the large amounts of power compared to the relatively low available grip. The gears are quality looking and the diff went together very smoothly. I did not fill any of the reservoirs, I just built it like I would any other diff; standard 1/8" steel balls, brand new avid bearings, AE red label diff grease, full size diff plates sanded to flat and then smoothed over with wet n dry sand paper. The diff action is very smooth and I have it locked down for use in a mod 12th. I am not however identifying any limited slip action on the bench in either direction. There might be .25 to .5 mm of rotational "play", but emphasis on the might as the thinness of the gear also allows for the normal wobble so it is hard to distinguish. I haven't run it yet, so I suppose it might not be effective until power is applied while in the car, but I am having a hard time understading where the slipping action is coming from. Any ideas? I'm not sure how it would matter, but maybe the reservoirs need to be filled? I just gave each ball a light coat of diff grease and then popped them in the holes. Thats the only grease in the diff atm.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

I used the Mini Z ones in my Z and they were awesome, was wondering when they would come out for TC
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So what is the benefit of the limited slip in a pan car?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My understanding is that the gear has to be oriented a certain way... such that when power is applied, the diff balls shift to the rear "pocket" and are locked in place, preventing any diff action whatsoever.

The theory of limited slip diffs in full size race cars is, typically(at least without getting into the idiosyncrasies for 1 way vs 1.5 way vs 2 way), that the diff will perform much like a standard open-diff off-power at corner entry, but will lock up on-power at corner exit... this prevents the "unloading" action seen with standard open-diffs, where the power is dumped to the wheel with the least traction.

The theory behind these spurs seems to be preventing your pan-car(12th, WGT, etc) from "diffing out"... Since the diff will be locked on-power, it will be acting more like a solid axle at corner-exit.

Edit: Andrew, have you pulled the throttle while holding one wheel to see if the diff is locking up? It may be hard to test the limited slip action on the bench...
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I haven't put power to it yet. I'll let you know once I do.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I bought a couple of the 96t spurs to try in a mod 12th on asphalt. I figured it might be useful with the large amounts of power compared to the relatively low available grip. The gears are quality looking and the diff went together very smoothly. I did not fill any of the reservoirs, I just built it like I would any other diff; standard 1/8" steel balls, brand new avid bearings, AE red label diff grease, full size diff plates sanded to flat and then smoothed over with wet n dry sand paper. The diff action is very smooth and I have it locked down for use in a mod 12th. I am not however identifying any limited slip action on the bench in either direction. There might be .25 to .5 mm of rotational "play", but emphasis on the might as the thinness of the gear also allows for the normal wobble so it is hard to distinguish. I haven't run it yet, so I suppose it might not be effective until power is applied while in the car, but I am having a hard time understading where the slipping action is coming from. Any ideas? I'm not sure how it would matter, but maybe the reservoirs need to be filled? I just gave each ball a light coat of diff grease and then popped them in the holes. Thats the only grease in the diff atm.
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I haven't put power to it yet. I'll let you know once I do.

It is not "slip" it is limited slip action(its confusing!!), so when you accelerate the dif will "lock" and when you brake it will then release. It is really effective on Carpet more so than anything else, the higher the grip the better it will work.