R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #166
Tech Adept

So I'm running the v10 13.5T with 49 deg end bell, boosted/ turbo which makes up 64 steps which comes of 91c measured on the can outside ... Is this not good then,should it be a lower temp?
Thanks.
adyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #167
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suggest you start with a lot lower can timing ie 15 deg.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #168
Tech Adept

if I run endbell timing below 30 deg then there is no power/torque at the bottom end, it's very flat.
my question is :- running the outside temp at 91C, is this ok or am I cooking it to much?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyb View Post
if I run endbell timing below 30 deg then there is no power/torque at the bottom end, it's very flat.
my question is :- running the outside temp at 91C, is this ok or am I cooking it to much?
91C = 196F

I would say that's hot
EXOTEK 22 SCT 2.0 - HW v3.1 ESC & Express Motorsports 24KO 17.5t
TLR 22T 2.0 - HW Xerun XR10 160A ESC & HW Bandit 10.5T
DriveItLikeYSIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #170
Tech Adept

even if the instructions says "never let the motor case go above 100C or 212F"?
this is where I am getting confused between what peope say on here and what the instructions recommend.
thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #171
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
even if the instructions says "never let the motor case go above 100C or 212F"?
this is where I am getting confused between what peope say on here and what the instructions recommend.
thanks
If you have a HW3.1 you can read the internal sensor temperature. Hobbywing recommends not to exceed 126C if reading from the sensor with a program card, that is about 100C on the outside of the can with a temp sensor gun.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #172
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge T View Post
If you have a HW3.1 you can read the internal sensor temperature. Hobbywing recommends not to exceed 126C if reading from the sensor with a program card, that is about 100C on the outside of the can with a temp sensor gun.
Cool, thanks for that.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #173
Tech Master

Quote:
Then you need to optimize the ESC settings.

It depends where you are measuring the 91 deg C it would be close to the limit. As per the other post check the internal temp sensor and try to measure the winding temps.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #174
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Then you need to optimize the ESC settings.
What settings would you start to play with?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
If you want to run more endbell timing, use less boost. Your total timing should be no more than 65* combined. So if you have 49* static timing (endbell), you should not add any more than 16* from the ESC otherwise you are gaining nothing while creating more heat regardless of what your gearing is. If you want to go to this extreme, a higher FDR would be in order. Start around 5.5fdr and work down till temps get more in line with normal operational range.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #176
Tech Master

Quote:
Boost and turbo timing, boost start & end rpms, turbo ramp rate & delay and boost activation with throttle.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Have to say im pretty pleased with my v10 so far..
I picked up a 13.5 to run in 12th scale and literally had to drop it in for trial by fire tonight. i didnt really have time to admire the workmanship a lot but the motor felt really solid in hand. multiple sensorwires included was nice too.

set it at 35ish degrees, 87ish rollout and got to work setting the car.

i already had a few vices against me.. was borrowing a friends crc car to try out. i normally run vbc.
i didnt touch the motor or gearing AT ALL all night basically, chased/rebuilt the crc every heat heh.

second round i was on a fast tq pace with the fastest lap of the night that wouldnt be bested until the main event.
but the cars handling issues made it difficult to handle after the 4 minute mark.

but major props for having a trouble free motor.. i dropped it in and literally guessed where it should be, and it seemed to have everything the orca cars did.

looking forward to more track time with the v10.. oh, and its a little unsettling how cold they run... my fastest run of the night came off stone cold.. maybe 120f?

im guessing this motor will be similar to my reedy in blinky. moderate timing and moderate gear. I tend to drive the stock car like a mod car a lot of the time, slow down for tight tight apex's and punch out of corners.
my straight line speed wasnt as good as the other cars but the infield seemed to be pretty excellent.

any suggestions for 13.5 12th scale much appreciated.. also settings for modified touring car, as ill be picking up a 4.5 for that purpose.

both cars running hobbywing 3.1s.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #178
Tech Adept

Hi guys,
I'm now running a lrp x20 4.5 and it is very fast for sure, but when the weather became hot, I struggle remaining with the same performance, and I have to stress too much my poor xerun v3.1, today for example with bt10 and tt20 I reach 122C inside the esc and I was also slower than others.
The xerun v10 4.5 is a good substitute?
Thanks for help
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #179
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
I picked up a 13.5 to run in 12th scale and literally had to drop it in for trial by fire tonight. i didnt really have time to admire the workmanship a lot but the motor felt really solid in hand. multiple sensorwires included was nice too.

i already had a few vices against me.. was borrowing a friends crc car to try out. i normally run vbc.
i didnt touch the motor or gearing AT ALL all night basically, chased/rebuilt the crc every heat heh.

second round i was on a fast tq pace with the fastest lap of the night that wouldnt be bested until the main event.
but the cars handling issues made it difficult to handle after the 4 minute mark.

but major props for having a trouble free motor.. i dropped it in and literally guessed where it should be, and it seemed to have everything the orca cars did.

looking forward to more track time with the v10.. oh, and its a little unsettling how cold they run... my fastest run of the night came off stone cold.. maybe 120f?

im guessing this motor will be similar to my reedy in blinky. moderate timing and moderate gear. I tend to drive the stock car like a mod car a lot of the time, slow down for tight tight apex's and punch out of corners.
my straight line speed wasnt as good as the other cars but the infield seemed to be pretty excellent.

any suggestions for 13.5 12th scale much appreciated.. also settings for modified touring car, as ill be picking up a 4.5 for that purpose.

Glad you like the motor. Im going to be trying one myself soon. And when I took it out of the box I was impressed with the craftsmanship also. (looks tough) and the two sensor wires are a plus to.
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #180
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NItrox416 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm now running a lrp x20 4.5 and it is very fast for sure, but when the weather became hot, I struggle remaining with the same performance, and I have to stress too much my poor xerun v3.1, today for example with bt10 and tt20 I reach 122C inside the esc and I was also slower than others.
The xerun v10 4.5 is a good substitute?
Thanks for help
Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post

Here in the near future I will post my settings from Worlds running the V10 4.5 and 3.1 ESC. The track was fairly large without many tight sections at all. The temps were in the 90's (My table top thermometer read 99*F most of the time in the shade) and I didn't have nay proplems with power or thermalling. I also ran the same esc motor combo at our Nationals at the same track when the temps were about 10* hotter with no thermal or power issues.

I'll also have my settings from Worlds with my 3.1 1s and V10 3.5 from the 12th scale portion. This track was a typical American size and layout, but with pretty low grip. Again, no issues with temps or power.

AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote