Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Overheating problem with HPI ESC Vapor. Need help! >

Overheating problem with HPI ESC Vapor. Need help!

Overheating problem with HPI ESC Vapor. Need help!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Overheating problem with HPI ESC Vapor. Need help!

Hi guys.

After a few month far from my cars, i am back this time trying to solve a big problem with my HPI- Sprint 2 Flux ESC Vapor.

The problem is a huge overheating. It's like vulcano out there.

It is so strong that heats the motor cables and the batery cables too.

So, i don't know what to do so far. This car i bought from a friend that use it only 2 months.

After a little research, i find that this combo: ESC/MOTOR, is a Castle Creation combo. But at the site doesn't exist. So i have som doubts here:

1 - i buy a castle link to setup this ESC but i don't know what model use to do since the VAPOR ESC doesn't belong to the list of models;

2 - trying to reduce the heat at the ESC, i buy a fan cooler and accessories from Yeahracing. It will work?

3 - If nothing work out, what is the best choice of ESC to match with the VEKTOR motor 5900kv brushless?

Thanks

MArcelo
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Did you change the gearing? Too big of a gear on the motor (pinion gear) will make it overheat. Is the mesh between the pinion gear and the big plastic gear (spur gear) really tight? There should be a slight amount of play in the gears. Tight gears will cause the motor to overheat. What battery pack are your running? Too high voltage of a battery pack can cause overheating.

Here is a link to your car: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106159/
You can download the manual there in PDF format. If after checking what I mentioned above you might want to contact HPI directly.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Did you change the gearing? Too big of a gear on the motor (pinion gear) will make it overheat. Is the mesh between the pinion gear and the big plastic gear (spur gear) really tight? There should be a slight amount of play in the gears. Tight gears will cause the motor to overheat. What battery pack are your running? Too high voltage of a battery pack can cause overheating.

Here is a link to your car: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106159/
You can download the manual there in PDF format. If after checking what I mentioned above you might want to contact HPI directly.
Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Well i didn't change anything.

The is an original is 90T with 23T pinion gear. The gears aren't tight enought to force the sistem then overheat everything.

The batery is a Zippy 5000Mah 20 - 30C...2S.

What do you think?

Can i use a 25T pinion gear with 90T spur gear?

Marcelo
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

The stock Flux Vapor esc = Castle Ceations Sidewinder. That doesn't really matter as far as the Castle Link goes because it will automatically recognize this. Mine does.
Is the Flux Vapor esc setup for LiPo batteries?
how long are you running the car before it overheats the esc?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Well before me this car run only 2 mounths. It's very new. I run a few times, but the last one even the bip sound doesn't exist anymore.

I really don't know what happens.

I buyed, like i said before, the Castle link, to see if is a problem of setup, a new VAPOR ESC and a Yeahracing cooling with air duct. But they aren't here yet.

A last question: if i can't resolve this problem with original parts, what is the best choice of ESC to macth with the HPI VEKTOR motor - 5900Kv?

Marcelo
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

If it overheats that bad, that quickly, a cooling fan it's really going to "fix" the problem. It'll help, but an esc overheating that quickly isn't normal, to my knowledge, so the fan will only allow you more time to run before it eventually goes out.
Check the settings with the Castle Link first, when you get it, make sure the esc settings are as they should be.
If it in fact is a defective Vapor esc, you could buy another Vapor esc, or probably just a CC Sidewinder, as its the same as the Vapor, just rebadged for HPI.
If you don't want another Vapor/Sidewinder, just look for brushless esc that can handle the amps and turns of the Flux's 5900 brushless motor.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MARCELO CAMPOS
Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Well i didn't change anything.

The is an original is 90T with 23T pinion gear. The gears aren't tight enought to force the sistem then overheat everything.

The batery is a Zippy 5000Mah 20 - 30C...2S.

What do you think?

Can i use a 25T pinion gear with 90T spur gear?

Marcelo
it may not be the ESC, but just the gearing.

a 23/90 is over 8.0FDR, if you are doing straight line speed runs, then you are under geared. you might try gearing up to around 7. (27 to 29/90) i don't know what will fit, you may need a tooth or 2 less on the spur to get to 7.FDR
Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Tony,

well i am building this car to pratice drift. Only drift!

My other car is a Sprint 2 sport and this one is all original.

First i am sorry because i said that this Flux was original. The problem is that i change it.

Pinion gear is 23T - original but the spur gear is a 87T. I changed to 90T and i realized now that this overheating started after that.

Probably that's the cause...I don't know...I will test changing the spur gear and pinion.

Abou the Castle link and the ESC these pieces don't arrevied yet...

But how can i select a new ESC to my VEKTOR if nothing works?

Marcelo
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys.

After a good and rainy night i see a lot of errors in my Sprint.

1 - this car came from a friend. I bought it and make changes at the gear ratio like change the spur gear by the original one: 87T to 90T!

2 - the pinion gear is original 23T;

3 - after that, i check the ESC and i remember that is setup to Lipo bat (i think);

4 - i run some days but i stop untill now. After a clean up and bat charge, this little boy and his ESC overheating so badly that the bip sounds desappear!

5 - This car is for drift but the gear ratio is my big problem here;

So after that i make some math here to decide the best gear ratio:

PINION GEAR: 23T
SPUR GEAR: 84T
FDR: 7,78

SPUR GEAR: 87T
FDR: 8,06

SPUR GEAR: 90T
FDR: 8,33

SPUR GEAR: 93T
FDR: 8,61

PINION GEAR: 24T
FDR: 7,46

FDR: 7,72

FDR: 7,99

FDR: 8,25

PINION GEAR: 25T
FDR: 7,16

FDR: 7,41

FDR: 7,67

FDR: 7,92
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Another question: what is the best gear ratio to this car, motor VEKTOR 5900Kv, to do drift?

Marcelo
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A higher FDR will reduce your running temperatures. A fan will help. Make sure the drive train isnt binding. Remove the pinion and check the drivetrain- it should spin freely. Make sure there is some play between your pinion and spur gear mesh.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WheelNut
A higher FDR will reduce your running temperatures. A fan will help. Make sure the drive train isnt binding. Remove the pinion and check the drivetrain- it should spin freely. Make sure there is some play between your pinion and spur gear mesh.

A higher FDR? so 7,5 sounds good?

MArcelo
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

So i change the spur gear: 90t to a 87T

And the pinion gear: 23T to 25T.

Now the gear ratio is 7,41.

Is it good to drift?

MArcelo
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Guys trying to solve this f¥£€¥£€¥£€¥king problem with CASTLE / HPI VAPOR ESC, i try some steps:

1- my Castle link arrivied and i plug both esc's, new and old ones, and both are good and correct!

2- talking with some friends, i buy the follow mix combo: ESC Hobbyking model X-Car 120A and a Turnigy 8,5T Trackstar.

With this new combo can i use the old gear ratio? 23t pinion with 90t spur or 25t pinion with the same spur or a less tooth one like 87t?

Thanks a lot.

Marcelo
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

help i have new sprint 2 flux i have problem with my motor after 15mins of playing it become very hot i m running 7.4v 5000mah lipo ang all stock 90spur 23pinion. y? help please