Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCalculator software .. and it's free! :D

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default RCalculator software .. and it's free! :D

Seeing a lot of people don't really know how/having problem when they try to calculate the gear ratio/final drive/rollout..etc, I've decided to make a small contribution to the RC community by writing a RC gear ratio/rollout/whatever calculator software. My aim is to make the software as easy to use as possible yet provide as much features as i could. I hope this software will be a handy tool for the RC community.

If you got any other suggestions, please feel free to tell me and if it's a good idea, i'll try to make my best to make it happen.

i've just released the first beta version of this software, most of the main functions are finished. There are a few things i'm planning to do and the GUI is quite ugly at the moment but it'll be work on it very soon. Anyway, you can find the software from this page:

http://www.dwork.co.nz/rcalculator/

feedbacks are welcome and will help me to improve this software. So either post your comments here or email me directly [email protected]

Last but not least, a big thanks to DWORKS (www.dwork.co.nz) for their support and hosting my file!!

Richard

Last edited by yellow15; 07-28-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

ver1.1 is now released:

- car database (with limited car models at the moment)
- improved interface
- a few bugs fixed

I'm still collecting car info and will add them to database. I'll post up the new data file separately for download once it's finished.

Thanks to those who have tried RCalculator and thanks for all your valuable feedbacks

Richard
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

just downloaded it...first problem i see is...

click 'pinion gear' and select 'xray T1 factory kit'...the internal drive ratio is 0.0000, when it should be 1.77

you might want to add xray T1 evo2/T1r (their IR is 2.1) and xray FK05 (IR of 1.7)

as i said, nothing major as the user can input the data them selves, but might of been worth pointing out...i'll let you know if i find anything else.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

raving-monkey: Thanks for your feedback
I think there must be something incorrect with my data file and i'll try to fix it asap. I'll add the T1 evo2/T1r and xray FK05 as well

Please let me know if you found any bugs or if there is any changes/improvements you want to see.

Cheers,
Richard
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

because i now only run rubber, i don't work with rollouts so...

i found it awkard trying to find the correct pinion gear as it required me to put in my current roll out.

maybe if its possible to make it so you don't have to put in a rollout value..

not really an issue as there is an option to find out your rollout but it was worth mentioning
Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Regular

raving-monkey: have you tried using the "final drive ratio" function instead? you don't need to provide the tyre size/rollout. Just type in your spur, final drive ratio and it will calculate a table of pinion gear vs final drive ratio for you.

Is this what you want? if not, maybe you can explain to me what would suit you the most and i can consider adding it to the future version

THanks a lot
RIchard
Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This site has everything you need.
http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?f...n=home.default
Old 07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks.
A new version (ver1.1.1.1) is out now

Changes:

- new "Pinion Gear for Rubber tyre" and "Pinion Gear for Foam tyre" functions to replace the original "Pinion Gear" function

- "Pinion Gear for Foam tyre" is designed for foam tyre racers. You need to enter the rollout/tyre diameter as well as your spur gear and internal gear ratio. It'll then calculate the best pinion gear for you. A chart of tyre diameter vs pinion gear will also be displayed on the screen so you can choose the correct pinion gear when your tyres worn out.

- "Pinion Gear for Rubber tyre" is designed for rubber tyre racers. You don't have to enter the rollout/tyre diameter, just input your spur gear, internal gear ratio and the final drive ratio and it'll calculate the best pinion gear for you. A chart of final drive gear ratio vs pinion gear will also be displayed on the screen so you can see how the different pinion gear will affect your final drive ratio.

-A few minor GUI changes

-A few more car's data are added to the car database. E.g. Tamiya TRF415, Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya TT-01, AE TC4, XRAY T1FK05, XRAY T1R....etc. You can download the database separately from the same website if you don't want to upgrade your RCalculator software. You just need to download that file and save it to your RCalculator folder (overwrite the existing one).

Cheers,
Richard
Old 07-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Initiate

hi,

do you have pocket pc version ?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

sounds good Richard...i'll get downloading the newest version.

i haven't really checked but is there a feature that allows you to print pinion/spur tables (pinions down the side, spurs along the top and it gives you the FDR..you know what i mean)

would be handy i guess, except no biggy....i was just wondering
Old 07-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

al1_be: sorry no pocket pc version.

raving-monkey: Yeah give it a try and let me know what you think. I hope you like the new version.

No there is no pinion/spur/final drive ratio table. But it can be easily done so i'll probably add it to the next version. Thanks for you suggestion
Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Default A suggestion......

If you want to match your rollout/ratio/whatever to that of a competitors. Have the ability to have two sets of stats on the screen at the same time.

Where you can enter their stats and then enter your car model and it automatically tells you what ratio/gearing you need to match.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Mabuchi, Sorry i'm not exactly sure how you want to "match/compare" two car's data, but a few suggestions:

1. Just enter your competitor's rollout/final drive ratio and then enter your own spur/internal gear ratio/whatever so you can find out what pinion you need to match his rollout.

2. Run two copies of RCalculator at the same time and move them side by side then you can do comparions between the two screens.

Hope it can help. If it still doesn't do what you want, maybe explain a bit more about what you want to do and i'll see what i can do

Thanks
Richard
Old 07-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Default Hopes this makes sense.....

Originally Posted by yellow15
2. Run two copies of RCalculator at the same time and move them side by side then you can do comparions between the two screens.
That bit but without having to open two copies lol.

With the added feature that you enter what you know about their car and it automatically fills out what your car would need to match.

After having put in the non variables of your own such as internal ratio and spur/tire size etc.

It fills in the gaps for you.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
With the added feature that you enter what you know about their car and it automatically fills out what your car would need to match.

After having put in the non variables of your own such as internal ratio and spur/tire size etc.

It fills in the gaps for you.
hm RCalculator remember all the info you type in and you can reuse the info for your next calculation, so it can actually do something very similar to what you want.

For example,
if you know soemone else's spur/pinion and internal gear ratio,
then
1. select "final drive ratio" on the left then enter spur/pinion/internal gear ratio on the right
2. click calculate button then it'll calculate that car's final drive ratio and will also enter that into the final drive ratio's box automatically.

Now if you want to find out the pinion gear you need to match his final drive ratio
3. press the "pinion gear (rubber tyre)" (assume you are running stock class with rubber tyres), then either select the car from the car list.. or if it's not available, type if your car's spur/internal gear ratio..
4. Press the calculate button.. then it'll tell you the pinion you'll need.. and give you a table of final drive ratio vs pinion gear for your car.

Would this be okie? or am i still missing something?