Wiki Posts
Search

Eagle Tree Systems Car Data Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Eagle Tree Systems Car Data Recorder

I was looking for a review of some sort of this product before I bought it but, couldn't find one other than what's in the magazines and online, I wanted a review from a normal R/C racer type. Just in case I am not the only one who considered this product, here is my short take on it.

First off, I am a novice racer that is a "tech geek" so this is something that I just had to have. I use it mainly to verify my gearing is correct. This allows me to view the temperature of the motor throughout a 5 minute run. At the end of the run, I can see if the motor is too hot therefore overgeared, or vice versa. I can also see my steering and throttle inputs, RPM of my spur gear, a calculated MPH, and with the optional expansion unit, I can also measure battery pack voltage and amp drain.

I like the unit, it puts numbers in my head, I have hard facts (Temp, RPM, amp draw, etc) of what's going on with the car.

Combine the data from this unit with an Orion Lap Counting System... almost like I have onboard telemetry on my R/C cars. I have to admit, I'm such a tech geek!

So to sum up...

Is this a WANT or NEED? Want
Did this make me faster? Nope
Did it make me smarter? Yes

Now some pics:

THE DATA DECK

The data recorder is the black receiver looking piece strapped down to the upper deck of a Yokomo SD SSG. You can also see all the wiring the recorder comes with. The purple tronsponder is the Orion LCS. The way I use it is, during practice, I screw the top deck onto my Yokomo CGM. Before a race, I remove the deck (4 screws) and it's back to it's race trim:

The sensor in the middle of the picture is the current draw sensor:

Here is a pic of how I installed the RPM sensor, a magnet was CA'd onto the spur gear, the RPM sensor itself is held in place with zip ties and silicone on a bent battery bar.

Recently I have been experimenting with using this unit as a dyno. I remove the electronics from the motor, place the Voltage and Amp sensors to the motor, hook up my Turbo 35 to the motor (like a motor run), set it to 7V and run.

Here is a snapshot of the interface from this particular dyno run:

A pic of my Orion LCS installation

More install pics, Left side

Right side

Old 07-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

LOL Runin....
I bought it also... for the same reasons...

it's a heck of a lot of extra junk and weight on the car, but I've actually raced with it all on their a few times with good results although having weight up that high on the upper deck I'm sure does my car no favors in the handling department
Old 07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

I did a few races with mine on board but it kept yanking my servo wires out...

Fun toy, gets everyone gathered around your laptop at the track...
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys having just purchased a data recorder i would love to see how others hvae installed it to there cars
i also have a ssg but would also like pics of any fitted to a 415
my e-mail is
[email protected]
thanks in advance
cheers
richard
Old 07-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

WOW!!! This thread is a YEAR old! I took down the pics awhile back but, I've uploaded them again.

I still have it but, it hasn't been installed on a car since these pictures were taken. I've sold my SD and am running a TRF415.

Anyone looking at buying the data recorder?

John