R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 25 out of 30 A main drivers @REEDY choose PROTOform.....

Just thought I had to throw respect where it was due when I heard that 25 out of 30 A main drivers ran PROTOform bodies at one of the most prestigious races in the WORLD. REEDY.

The Stratus 3.0 won both the invitational and the open mod classes and the Mazda 6 won the 19 turn.

Fantastic.... round of applause goes to Dale

Perhaps if Dale ever gets back here (RCtech) he can tell everyone what he has up his sleeve for the next carpet season

//KBpower
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the only problem i have with the body is that its all sold out at my lhs
Old 05-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf_frani
the only problem i have with the body is that its all sold out at my lhs

well dont blame the body

Apparently for about the past two months PROTOform has been out of Lexan. The company the produces the lexan has had difficulties. No worries though, apparently they are up and running again and all back orders should be fill VERY shortly.

Keith
Old 05-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Were more drivers using the Mazda 6 or the Stratus 3?
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

I belive there were more stratus 3.0's. I was not there, I have only heard from a friend so I cannot give an exact count... I know the winners and the ultimate total from the grids.

Dale was there.. and hopefully he can speak up...

KB
Old 05-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Tech Elite

from what i saw in the invites almost all of them were running Stratus.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf_frani
from what i saw in the invites almost all of them were running Stratus.
Yah, that body rocks...

I thought I heard someone call it "the easy button"

//KBpower
Old 06-01-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
2005 Reedy Race of Champions
Invitational Equipment List

[pre]
F Driver Country Chassis Motor Battery ESC Radio Body
1. Craig Drescher England Associated FT TC4 Reedy Ti 7x1 Reedy Novak GTX KO Propo Helios Protoform Stratus 3.0
2. Jiles Groskamp Netherlands Xray T1FK'05 Peak Peak Hara Twister 2 KO Propo Protoform Mazda 6
3. Atsushi Hara USA Hot Bodies Cyclone Orion 7x1 Orion 3700 Hara Twister 2 KO Propo Helios Ride Accord
4. Marc Rheinard Germany Tamiya 415MSX Orion Orion 3700 Hara Twister 2 KO Propo Helios Protoform Mazda 6
5. Masami Hirosaka Japan Yokomo MR4TC BD Reedy Ti 7x1 Yokomo 3700 Yokomo VFS Masami KO Esprit Vantage Type R Protoform Mazda 6
6. David Jun USA Tamiya 415MSX Reedy Reedy 3700 LRP QC2 Futaba 3PK Protoform Stratus 3.0
7. David Spashett England Tamiya 415MSX Peak 7x1 Peak LRP QC2 KO Esprit Vantage Type R Protoform Mazda 6
8. Ralph Burch USA Xray T1FK'05 EPIC SMC Novak GTX KO Propo Helios Protoform Stratus 3.0
9. Satoshi Maezumi Japan Tamiya 415MSX Transpeed Cosmo Energy KO VFS-1 KO Propo Helios Ride Accord
10. Andrew Moore England Hot Bodies Cyclone Orion Orion KO VFS-1 KO Propo Ride Accord
11. Paul Wynn USA Schumacher Mi2 Reedy Ti 7x1 Fusion LRP QC2 Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
12. Jimmy Jacobson USA Tamiya 415MSX Redline Pole Position LRP QC2 Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
13. Surikarn Chaidajsuriya Thailand Hot Bodies Cyclone Peak Peak KO VFS-1 KO Propo EX10 Ride Accord
14. Jonas Kaerup Denmark Associated FT TC4 Reedy Reedy LRP QC2 Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
15. Thomas Pumpler Austria Yokomo MR4TC BD Orion Orion - KO Propo Helios Protoform Mazda 6
16. Brian Kinwald USA Team Losi JRX-S Trinity Cobalt Trinity Novak GTX Airtronics M11 Yokomo Stratus
17. Matt Francis USA Team Losi JRX-S Trinity Cobalt Trinity 3700 LRP QC2 Airtronics M11 Yokomo Stratus
18. Chris Tosolini USA Corally RDX Team br00d 7x1 Pole Position KO VFS-1 Airtronics M11 Protoform Mazda 6
19. Rick Hohwart USA Tamiya 415MSX Peak 7x1 Peak 3700 Hara Twister 2 Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
20. Kiyo Suzuki Japan Tamiya 415MSX - - - Airtronics M11 Ride Accord
21. Mike Blackstock USA Associated FT TC4 Reedy Reedy Novak GTX KO Propo Helios Protoform Mazda 6
22. Barry Baker USA Associated FT TC4 Reedy Reedy 3700 LRP QC2 Airtronics M11 Protoform Mazda 6
23. Greg Hodapp USA Xray T1FK'05 Peak Peak Novak GTX Airtronics M11 Protoform Stratus 3.0
24. Ryan Cavalieri USA Associated FT TC4 Trinity Cobalt Trinity LRP QC2 Airtronics M11 Protoform Mazda 6
25. Billy Easton USA Team Losi JRX-S Trinity Cobalt Trinity 3700 Novak GTX Futaba 3PK Tamiya Subaru
26. Joel Myrberg Sweden Xray T1FK'05 Fantom SMC Novak GTX Futaba 3PJ Protoform Mazda 6
27. Mike Dumas USA Xray T1FK'05 EPIC EPIC 3700 Novak GTX JR R1 Protoform Stratus 3.0
28. Toni Rheinard Germany Tamiya 415MSX Orion Orion 3700 Hara Twister 2 KO Propo Helios Protoform Mazda 6
29. Andrew Cartwright USA Tamiya 415MSX Orion 7x1 Orion 3700 Volac Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
30. Juho Levanen Finland Associated FT TC4 Reedy Reedy Novak GTX Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
31. Josh Cyrul USA Kyosho Prototype Truespeed SMC KO VFS-1 KO Propo Helios Protoform Stratus 3.0
32. Paul Lemieux USA Kyosho Prototype Truespeed SMC Novak GTX Futaba 3PK Protoform Stratus 3.0
33. Kyle Skidmore USA Associated FT TC4 Reedy Ti 7x1 Reedy LRP QC2 Airtronics M8 Protoform Mazda 6
34. Chris Grainger England Yokomo MR4TC BD Checkpoint Checkpoint Novak GTX KO Propo Ride Stratus Mk. II[/pre]

According to this list, the Mazda 6 was the most used body there by far, but the Stratus 3 was the one that won the event. Also... it was the AP version that people were using, not the Carpet version, in case anyone were interested.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
Perhaps if Dale ever gets back here (RCtech) he can tell everyone what he has up his sleeve for the next carpet season

//KBpower
Boy are these guys going to fall in love when they see whats up for carpet season

Awsome job as usual Dale!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On that list i think both the UK boys, Drescher and Moore will be running the KO Esprit Vantage Type R's. All those people using wheels and i count only 5 people using sticks, the UK drivers and Masami, yet 4 are in the top 10, maybe sticks are quicker?!

6 out of the 10 drivers using the VFS-1 speedo or its rebranded versions....
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Thumbs up REEDY RACE of CHAMPIONS

I just got back from the left coast yesterday. I had an absolute blast! The week before the Reedy I attended my first RCX Expo in Anaheim. It was really fun. My personal highlight of that weekend? No doubt it was when the TLC Channel & hot rodding world's god-of-good-taste CHIP FOOSE came over to the Proline/PROTOform display to check out "our" handywork. How back-ass-wards is that?! lol That guy is amaaaazing.
The Reedy Race was exciting as usual. Hats off to Mike Reedy, Fred Medel, Scott Ernst & team for the way they ran the event. The Reedy event continues to put the "luster" back into RC racing when some of the "sanctioned" events in the American RC scene seem to leave it kinda tarnished.
The racing was not unlike the current NASCAR season - A little brutal at times, but extremely close and exciting. Craig's invitational win over Jiles by less that a second, after 2 days of racing pretty much proves that.
I'd like to give a big CONGRADULATIONS and thankyou to all the racers that used PROTOform race bodies, especially the winners.
19 Turn Winner: Peter Robinson was awsome. He ran the Mazda 6 in an A-main that had 9 Mazda 6's & 1 Status 3.0 "AP".
Open Mod's Winner: Josh Numan was unchallenged in the A-Mains with his Stratus 3.0 "AP" clad JRS-X. There were 4-Stratus 3.0's. 5-Mazda 6's and 1-Ride bodies in the Open A-Main
Craig Drescher was the the usual "class-act" that he is. Fast an smooth right from the beginning of practice. He used the Stratus 3.0 "AP" to win the event and "Snowbird's Star" - Jiles Groskamp alternated between the 3.0 and Mazda 6 in his runner-up finish. PROTOform was the body of choice by 8 of the top 12 finishers.
I'm already looking forward to the 2006 Reedy Race of Champions.

Dale Epp
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
Tech Master

Hey,

A fellow racer (one of the local fast guys) and I were practicing the other day at the local carpet track with rubber tires and I could tell his car was loose with the Stratus 3 (carpet version) before he told me. How different does the All-Purpose handle than the carpet version?

And....My car was slightly loose with the Mazda 6 and the rear started to kick out a tiny bit late-mid corner. What Proto Shell would you guys recommend me to try (its about time I get a new one anyway)
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Hey,

A fellow racer (one of the local fast guys) and I were practicing the other day at the local carpet track with rubber tires and I could tell his car was loose with the Stratus 3 (carpet version) before he told me. How different does the All-Purpose handle than the carpet version?

And....My car was slightly loose with the Mazda 6 and the rear started to kick out a tiny bit late-mid corner. What Proto Shell would you guys recommend me to try (its about time I get a new one anyway)

Umm...what about rear springs, oil, roll center, droop setting, toe-in or anything else you would adjust to dial in some more rear traction???

You don't use bodies for tuning, only for a final SMALL change after the car is mechanically dialed in.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Great signature soviet.

I agree about the body tuning thing. I think its great that protoform are the "chosen" body maufacturer, great work with your bodies. But the main thing is mechanical tuning, not "Lexan tuning"
adamkerrnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkerrnz
Great signature soviet.

I agree about the body tuning thing. I think its great that protoform are the "chosen" body maufacturer, great work with your bodies. But the main thing is mechanical tuning, not "Lexan tuning"

Thanks man...

It's funny, but whenever I say what I just said on here, I always end up getting mugged by angry 16-year olds...

Some folks just don't know how to tune their cars and thats a fact Jack...

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote