Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

New Novak 25.5t Boss VTA motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M3Roc
EEEEEEEEXACTLY! Also, because it runs cooler and a cooler motor runs better, even if its just 10 degrees..
That's a good theory and I agree with it. Do people really push VTA motors to the point where they slow down due to heat, though? I'm asking because I am building my first VTA car now and haven't seen any of the guys running locally complain of any issues (they do run a max FDR though). Below a certain temp getting the motor to run cooler doesn't make a difference.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odpurple
That's a good theory and I agree with it. Do people really push VTA motors to the point where they slow down due to heat, though? I'm asking because I am building my first VTA car now and haven't seen any of the guys running locally complain of any issues (they do run a max FDR though). Below a certain temp getting the motor to run cooler doesn't make a difference.
Ive pushed my motor to 170 before. I placed where I was happy in the race but that jeopardizes your motor and you risk burning it our (melting the shield around the wire winding or melting the plastic casing that holds the winds).. Luckily, that motor still runs strong but now it has a fan that keeps those temps down to 130 to 140's.. We'll see what the temps will be like with the new end bells allowing for additional cooling.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ive pushed my motor to 170 before. I placed where I was happy in the race but that jeopardizes your motor and you risk burning it our (melting the shield around the wire winding or melting the plastic casing that holds the winds).. Luckily, that motor still runs strong but now it has a fan that keeps those temps down to 130 to 140's.. We'll see what the temps will be like with the new end bells allowing for additional cooling.
what was your FDR at the Gate w/ your motor?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Too high.. Reason for the heat but I needed to do something to get a foot in the door for the top three. I moved the fan from the ESC over to the motor and ran low 140's high 130's to place 3rd in the main..

I was smoking everyone on the straights but I had bad speed on the corners. Have no fear though, I fixed my gearing for this coming weekend and also installed a nice Yeah Racing fan mount on the motor..
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Building my 1st VTA as well OD . Bought one of those TC4 club jobbers for this purpose... gotta look into these motors.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You don't need a Boss motor. The rotor and stator are the same as the Ballistic. The only advantage to the Boss is it possibly running cooler due to the vents. Anyone that thinks they need the additional vents in the back endbell to be competitive is fooling themselves. That being said, many will use it anyway just because it looks cool
EEEEEEEEXACTLY! Also, because it runs cooler and a cooler motor runs better, even if its just 10 degrees..
Guys will buy the motor either way as the motors they are running now get worn out. Most of them wont bother with the vented timing endbell though because the 12* total compared to the 10* that robk found in testing with just the front endbell doesnt matter to them.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is this a good combo?

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=NOV3339
Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyro854
Guys will buy the motor either way as the motors they are running now get worn out. Most of them wont bother with the vented timing endbell though because the 12* total compared to the 10* that robk found in testing with just the front endbell doesnt matter to them.
bingo

Originally Posted by JayBee
yes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

I would say get the ballistic or boss motor but for the esc, get yourself a HobbyWing Justock speedo. Ive had both and I love my HW and its also on the approved list of speedos.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I would say get the ballistic or boss motor but for the esc, get yourself a HobbyWing Justock speedo. Ive had both and I love my HW and its also on the approved list of speedos.
+1
I am loving my JuStock after running the Novak GTB forever
Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For USVTA that combo works just fine. You don't have to play the speedo game in VTA because speed is the same with them all. That is why there is only a few that are approved anyways.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
+1
I am loving my JuStock after running the Novak GTB forever
What are the differences / improvements in your opinion? Just wondering why you prefer the Justock.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
What are the differences / improvements in your opinion? Just wondering why you prefer the Justock.
1. Smaller easier to fit in car where i want it.

2. Smoother throttle I have tried every setting on the GTB, drive freq etc

3. Easier to adjust, easy to use program box. with the novak to place it in my car well the lights are on the back side and it is harder/ more time consuming to count lights and figure which setting you are adjusting.

4. I ran same setup back to back against the same car, I was equal on straight with Novak, gained alittle over a car length with JuStock
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayL
1. Smaller easier to fit in car where i want it.

2. Smoother throttle I have tried every setting on the GTB, drive freq etc

3. Easier to adjust, easy to use program box. with the novak to place it in my car well the lights are on the back side and it is harder/ more time consuming to count lights and figure which setting you are adjusting.

4. I ran same setup back to back against the same car, I was equal on straight with Novak, gained alittle over a car length with JuStock
+1 on this. The justock feels lots smoother in the infield part of out track vs the gtb2.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry guys I totally disagree. The gtb series are all smoother than any speedo on the list. I've tested everyone and then some. The only esc I like better is from lrp.

Of course this is my opinion and choice.

Also. I have ever esc on the list except lrp ai. And sp revention. Its on loan. And my gtb2 is in my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.