R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

looks like we get a minor upgrade in the form of the c3.1 rear side dampers,

http://www.teamyokomo.com/news/order..._yrf_001rf.pdf

I might order one as mine has seen about a year and a half of solid racing and due for a rest...
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #152
Tech Rookie

You might be aware of another option - the TiN coated piston/shaft for the fluid side damper. I bought one some time ago, but haven't done the upgrade yet, since the original is still full of oil and is working. Part: R12-18SRT

On my F104v2 Pro I like the grease damper, I can't remember clearly if it improved rear traction? The best reason was less maintenance because the F104v2 Pro fluid side damper leaked quickly.

I'm interested in hearing how the c3.1 rear side damper feels on track if you decide to get it.
dctrfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone had issues with the traditional kingpin/spring setup rubbing on the inside of the wheel? I can't run this setup because of it.. I would have to grind away at the inside of the wheel just to get a minute amount of clearance. Maybe it's just the type of wheel I am running.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #154
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Has anyone had issues with the traditional kingpin/spring setup rubbing on the inside of the wheel? I can't run this setup because of it.. I would have to grind away at the inside of the wheel just to get a minute amount of clearance. Maybe it's just the type of wheel I am running.
Hmm, have not tried the kingpin conversion. What wheel is on your car? How much interference is there? Maybe 1mm?

Some ideas:
1. Grind interference away with rotary grinder or other tool
2. Or, if class rules allow the extra width, add spacers (for exmple tamiya part 19804246)
3. or different offset wheels?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #155
sbd
Tech Regular

Hi,
Could you guys advice me how to lower the yrf rear pod height. I have the 2 mm bearing inserts with the hole up and yet the pod ride height is 5.6 mm. This is with RIDE R1 rear tires. Looking at the Yokomo setup sheets, it seems the 2mm insert is the largest eccentricity one.
I thought I will lower the main plate to level at 4mm. This would raise the rear of the pod up to something above 6.3 mm. Thus, will have lower CG for the main plate and slightly lower for the rear pod as the CG of the pod is in front of the rear shaft. What impact the fact the main plate is not leveled with the pod could have on handling?
sbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #156
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Hi,
Could you guys advice me how to lower the yrf rear pod height. I have the 2 mm bearing inserts with the hole up and yet the pod ride height is 5.6 mm. This is with RIDE R1 rear tires. Looking at the Yokomo setup sheets, it seems the 2mm insert is the largest eccentricity one.
I thought I will lower the main plate to level at 4mm. This would raise the rear of the pod up to something above 6.3 mm. Thus, will have lower CG for the main plate and slightly lower for the rear pod as the CG of the pod is in front of the rear shaft. What impact the fact the main plate is not leveled with the pod could have on handling?
Well, the rear ride height is controlled with the eccentric spacers as you know, I don't know how else to do it, and I trust you are using the largest offset? Maybe someone knows another way but I think that's it. Is 5.6mm rear height measuring with the front tires on or off?

5.6mm may be a good ride height depending on the track. What track surface are you running on?

Is there any way you can post side and top images showing your resting ride height with your measurement tool in position? Then take the rear wheels off and do another side image.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #157
sbd
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrfrz View Post
Well, the rear ride height is controlled with the eccentric spacers as you know, I don't know how else to do it, and I trust you are using the largest offset? Maybe someone knows another way but I think that's it. Is 5.6mm rear height measuring with the front tires on or off?

5.6mm may be a good ride height depending on the track. What track surface are you running on?

Is there any way you can post side and top images showing your resting ride height with your measurement tool in position? Then take the rear wheels off and do another side image.
Hi,
Yes, of course with the front wheels on. This is for carpet track so 4 mm is appropriate height. Now, the issue is the rear Ride tires are a bit larger diameter. I have set the front and middle to 4.2 mm. The rear of the pot comes at 5.6 mm. Thinking about the rear end kinematics, it looks small slope of the pod should not have adverse effect on handling. Or should it? I dont know.
sbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've never raced rubber tires on the YRF. However, after quickly looking at other manufactures ride heights I would suggest running 5.6 ride height in the rear and maybe 5.4 in the front. First I would try 5.6 in the front. Then tune the front accordingly, maybe try 5.4,5.2,5.0. I wouldn't go beyond 5.0 mm.

If the car under steers, reduce the ride height a little. Then test.
If the car over steers then increase the ride height a little. Then test.

I wouldn't get caught up on ride height so much, there are other ways to tune the cars handling. I would run 5.4 in the front and 5.6 in the rear and tune the rest with springs, oils, ect.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #159
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Hi,
Yes, of course with the front wheels on. This is for carpet track so 4 mm is appropriate height. Now, the issue is the rear Ride tires are a bit larger diameter. I have set the front and middle to 4.2 mm. The rear of the pot comes at 5.6 mm. Thinking about the rear end kinematics, it looks small slope of the pod should not have adverse effect on handling. Or should it? I dont know.
Ok, have you considered to remove the eccentric bearing carriers, remove the bearings, and carefully sand the outside top of the eccentric, removing enough (1.6mm?) of the eccentric to raise the rear axle as desired (lowering the pod)

The bottom of the eccentric can be built up and contoured with baking soda and thin superglue, jb weld, or some other sandable filler. Bingo, 4mm ride height.

I don't know what pod angle does, other than I like how my car drives. I run a little bit of droop when holding the car in the air. Sitting on setup board, pod is parallel with chassis, or slightly compressed down.

What diameter are your rear tires? Mine are 62.5mm - almost new with two five minute races on them, Pit Shimizu/TCS, with included inserts on Exotek +3mm offset plastic wheels.

Last edited by dctrfrz; 12-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #160
Tech Adept

sbd,

Just go buy the R12 bearing carriers if you want to adjust it. they sell them on a-main from 0mm to 2.5mm in .25 increments.

I am by no means and expert at setting this car up but i agree with edward, anything less than 5mm is not a good place to be from my experience as well.
nissan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #161
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sho wish this manual was in English!
mhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 AM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopper View Post
Sho wish this manual was in English!
it is

http://www.teamyokomo.com/download/m...w_130625_e.pdf
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #163
Tech Apprentice

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #164
Tech Apprentice

I have my car built. I am running narrow front and rubber tires. How many spacers should be in the front bulkhead? I built it according to the narrow instructions but the front wing is dragging the ground!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #165
Tech Apprentice

Btw... I am running f104 rims with shimizu tires.