Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best, high traction, carpet, shaft car?  Is there one? >

Best, high traction, carpet, shaft car? Is there one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best, high traction, carpet, shaft car? Is there one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Best, high traction, carpet, shaft car? Is there one?

I was just wondering what people thought. I want a Pro 4, but many seem to think it's not a good designed carpet car.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Pro 4 is a good car but if the boards at your track bite back or theres hacking going on at the track I wouldn't suggest it. I'm looking at TC4's myself because I already have a box of drivetrain parts, hardware & springs for an NTC3
Old 05-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

There is currently only one car on market designed to be run on high traction carpet with foam tires and that's the RDX. I would highly recommend it. Nothing else is necessary out of the box to make this thing killer on any carpet track...although I would recommend the lower roll center blocks!

Peronally, I would not go with the Pro 4. Chassis is too thin. Tweaks too easily...this is more of an ashpalt car. Many at my local track bought this car when they first came out, they all quickly got rid of them!

Cannot loose with the new Xray either but in stock form it's still more of a ashpalt car. You will need to spend some money on this car to stiffen it up enough for carpet...at least that's what the guys at my track are doing...thicker chassis and wider top plates and some other stuff.

A lot of guys also have the TC4 runnig really good along with the Yokomo CGM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

With the proper equipment and setup, many, if not all, cars can adapt to either racing surface. Don't be fooled by a car that people label as "asphalt only" or "carpet only".

What sort of background do you have in R/C cars? It may be better to buy a more affordable (but just as worthy) car to help hone your skills. The Pro 4 is a perfect example of such a car.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default I run a TC4....

but it's heavier, parts wear out fast and I want a heavier diff bolt and t-nut like the new Pro 4 uses. I figure they were about the same for setups, but the Pro 4 would be better in stock racing. I panned on getting a 3mm BMI chassis for it later. I like the TC4, but wheel bearings go out fast along with parts play. I just thought a Pro 4 would fit my needs being it's shaft like I want, it comes with everything and it's lower in price than RDX. I do drive a tight track though. I might wait and see what BMI comes out with for the Xray05.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

i know im no expert by a long way but i think my tc4 is great on tight carpet tracks
i have had no problems with the bearings i haved acer ceramics in mine for months now they are great and diffs bolts have been fine too
Old 05-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dane
With the proper equipment and setup, many, if not all, cars can adapt to either racing surface. Don't be fooled by a car that people label as "asphalt only" or "carpet only".

What sort of background do you have in R/C cars? It may be better to buy a more affordable (but just as worthy) car to help hone your skills. The Pro 4 is a perfect example of such a car.

Good luck
As you say, many and probably all cars can be adapted to all tracks. The question is how much time, how much money and how much effort do you want to spend to make the Pro 4 competitive on a carpet track running foam tires. There are many other cars out there that are a much better choice for this application...MANY more.
A Pro 4, stock from the box, will not be competitive at all at my local track (now of couse this depends on the skill levels of the other drivers you are racing against and like I said "at my track." Where the RDX, X-Ray, TC4, CGM are competitive right from the box. You don't need to buy a front diff, a thicker chassis and top deck...etc. The Pro 4 is a poor choice for this application!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

When i used my out of the box pro4 it wasn't really suited for carpet, but the BMI pro4 is awesome.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default When I twisted a Pro 4....

it seemed to flex less than my TC4 with molded graphite. Like I said, my TC4 fine, but I'm looking at other little details about a chassis that make racing easier. I want the best overall shaft drive. The new Tf TC4? I guess, but then again it has some TC4 parts I want to get away from. I like the little details of the Pro 4 and it's continued R&D progress. Only thing I wish HPI would do is redesign the diff cases that you didn't need to remove the camber link braces and upper deck to remove the upper diff case. Connect the upper deck to the bottom diff case, that would make it lower and stiffer. My 2 cents. I do wish HPI would make a US carpet specific version though. How about it HPI?

Last edited by RCknight; 05-28-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default pro4

rcknight- i think you may have it confused. i think the pro4 is a knockoff of the tc3/4. which had the shaft drive 1st(tc3)? all the shaft drive cars that you see now look similar to the tc3. after the tc3 started winning more & more major races, thats when you started to see more shaft driven cars that look similar to the tc3. my 2cents

l8er
Old 05-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Yes, I would agree....

but I think HPI made some improvements.

Last edited by RCknight; 05-28-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

koabich, I follow your logic. I was unclear of rcknights past experiences and what he was really looking for in a car. I assumed with a "which is the best" question, he was entering the hobby and thought carpet looked good.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

the pro4 is the best 1/10th ep car from HPI right now. It's not known for carpet, but it's a killer asphalt car. All of these cars ARE good. It's the experinces you have with the car that make it a good or bad car. Just grab any shaft car you want that is very well know. All of these cars have done well at one time or another. Just concentrate on your driving. Just tell us what you are worried about of each car.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default I'm getting to know my TC4 well and it's working fine.

I figure all cars will work given some effort. I want something the same, but yet different if you know what I mean. I thought the Pro 4 would be better for stock racing. It's lighter and you have some better part options for stiffening it up more/less, and having space to use weights on the motor side. I'm just having a hard time deciding, but I have made up my mind. I like this about this chassis and this on another. Jeesh....decision....decisions. I'm was just thinking out loud when I started this thread.

Lets see
TC4 vs. Pro 4

TC4 Pros TC4 cons
-less prone to tweek -parts flex
-seems to work well on carpet -small wheel bearings
-easy diff access -parts seem to wear out fast
-easy droop access -heavy
-easier to get parts -no open chassis for weights
-great sway bar mount system -weak arms
-battery stays put -can't make it any stiffer
-steering sloppy
-shocks are more difficult to build
-heavier option parts
-bad stock bearings

Pro 4 pros Prp 4 cons
-it's very light -not easiest diff access
-easier to balance car with weights -chassis can tweek easier
-parts wear well -needs a BMI for carpet
-bigger wheel hub bearings -need to buy an extra diff
-chassis flex options -battery taping/puke issues
-less steering slop
-easy to build shocks
-lighter option parts, toe blocks etc.
-stiffer/less flexing parts, shock towers, c-hubs, & arms
-weight closer to the center line of chassis
-good price/value

I'm I missing anything?

Last edited by RCknight; 05-29-2005 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Could anyone here say that the Pro 4 dirves like a...

TC3? I thought my TC3 was so easy to drive fast. Just wondering. The Pro 4 I drove felt great, but it's been awhile since I drove a TC3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.