Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best 1/12th kit for Asphalt >

Best 1/12th kit for Asphalt

Best 1/12th kit for Asphalt

Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Best 1/12th kit for Asphalt

What's the better kit for asphalt racing 1/12th scale? Which works best for asphalt CRC Carpet knife or T-Force? Does it matter?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
What's the better kit for asphalt racing 1/12th scale? Which works best for asphalt CRC Carpet knife or T-Force? Does it matter?
T-bar cars usually seem to have more rear grip than link cars, making them easier to drive on a lower traction surface such as asphalt. However, if the track you plan on racing on has good traction, either car should work equally well on asphalt with the right setup.

What cars are other people at your track running?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

T-bar on asphalt all the way. The pod link cars (aka Carpet Knife) don't handle bumps as well which are more common in asphalt tracks. Not to say they don't work, but that's been my experience.

I would look into the CRC T-Force (with thinner chassis, not the kit one), Associated 12L4, and the new Masami Yokomo.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
T-bar on asphalt all the way. The pod link cars (aka Carpet Knife) don't handle bumps as well which are more common in asphalt tracks. Not to say they don't work, but that's been my experience.

I would look into the CRC T-Force (with thinner chassis, not the kit one), Associated 12L4, and the new Masami Yokomo.
The boyz running L4's down here are always breaking the cheap fiberglass t-plate...this sucks, and forces one to use saddle pack type battery set ups, and takes space on the car. Tha's why I dont like the t-plate. However, when I drove the AH12 conversion for L4, the car handled much better and much easier to drive than the regular t-plate L4. Ever since I prefer the pod link style, like the AH12 or Carpet knife, since it seems easier to drive for me, and you can use 4 cell side by side set up and use straps or batt tray systems rather then the pesky tape. Also, in case of a hard crash, I noticed that 9/10 times, the L4 type car ended up breaking the t-plate.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
The boyz running L4's down here are always breaking the cheap fiberglass t-plate...
If you are breaking the t-plate you are not winning so it's a moot point.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The corally 12 slx is by the most versatile car on the market and with unpredictable asphalt track surfaces you will need a car that can give you more tuning capabilities, which you will see once you take a look at the top chassis on the market....the 12 slx has 3 front ends you can choose from and versatile battery alignments that can give you tuning edge that most high end cars don't offer..I wanted a car that would allow me to switch the battery positions form in-line to transverse is something that most only offer one or the other..I didn't want to be stuck in to using one parti
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Took 5 years for this Zombie to come back...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Suspended

The corally has several t-pod plate cars so its a matter of preference or drivin
Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Tech Champion

Do we really need 3 threads for this?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Do we really need 3 threads for this?
Would also help if something constructive was being said, instead of just an advert for Corally.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Default corally 12 slx

I've only test driven the car once against the likes of associated 12r5.2 /crc xi cars and without having any prior knowledge of what works it handled very well and I took 2nd in the AMain..the car has a associated front end with soft front springs which gave me a lot of steering ....the tires were a issue so , it prevented me from being able to carry a lot of speed coming in and out of the corners. ...I will have more data for those who care to know once, I've entered another race, whenev
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pierre johnson
I've only test driven the car once against the likes of associated 12r5.2 /crc xi cars and without having any prior knowledge of what works it handled very well and I took 2nd in the AMain..the car has a associated front end with soft front springs which gave me a lot of steering ....the tires were a issue so , it prevented me from being able to carry a lot of speed coming in and out of the corners. ...I will have more data for those who care to know once, I've entered another race, whenev
Was this on asphalt?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Default team corally driver race performance update

This was a rigorous testing over 3 month period of intense asphalt racing on a parking lot surface to test its race performance under those track conditons and the car was superb, I was amazed at the cars cornering speed and the cars ability to stay planted on a rough surface. I dedicated most of my time with the front end and the first move was to use .20 front springs that give the car plenty of cornering speed with quick response that is needed on tight tracks..I then had to decide on the front end and after several options, I chose the crc gen xl frontend which works beautifully with the cars overall performance but would work just as well with the associated frontend that it cones with it comes down to prefrence and driving style. ..then I concentrated on the damping tubes which are awesome and noticed the car easier to drive with the softer oil so I chose a 35 weight oil which gave the car enormous amount grip without making the pushy or sluggish which is very noticeable when you stiffen the side damping tubes to much ..the next move was the mono shock and with the spring rate and shocking positioning a issue, I kept the stock setting on shock position and opted to used a silver spring and a 35 oil for more steering response and the car was able to steer with more aggression without over steering. ..now the most important part of the tuning is tires and with various options to choose from it can be confusing but the hard work has been done for you all is needed is for you to apply this set up and your car will perform well on any asphalt surface..the corally pink fronts / purple fronts with a tire diameter of 43' and corally rear golds 45' will plant your car which means faster lap times..I must add the ride height I opt to stay 3.5 front 4.0 rear you want the car as low as possible without compromising the chassis bottoming out with this set up you will perform well at any track ..good luck
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you are just getting into it. The top 3 cars I'd look into getting IMO. New not t-bar due to battery placement.

AE RC125.2
CRC XTI/Altered Ego
Xray X12---(hopefully a 14 is in the works)

If I'm choosing asphalt I'm getting the AE. I think the CRC is one of the best carpet cars. I put the X12 last for very few reasons. Parts are a little more scarce and lack of support/setup help. The AE is a fantastic car with parts readily available and most people running 12th scale run some form of the AE (on-point very close). CRC is the exact same. Most people run AE or CRC.

I currently run my AE on asphalt in mod. I do have a CRC in my bag as well. I've had the X12. I thought the X12 was the most forgiving for tapping the boards.

I am not sponsored by anyone regarding chassis. But Corally 12th is even more scarce than the X12 and there is only one place to really get parts in the US. Serpent is another good car but once again support here. Yokomo another with the same concept.

I've got the BD7 and I pretty much carry two spare cars just in case. Not a huge fan of not having parts in stock at my LHS.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have done very little asphalt racing but I swear the older CRC GenX (the first brushless pod one) is even better on asphalt than it is on carpet. The thing just scoots around the turns. Maybe I was just lucky with the set-up but I loved it. If I run the worlds, I'm bringing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.