R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Wink rookie/what electric car for 250

Hi want to buy an electric on road car. I am a complete rookie. Are they all as reliable as one another, are they fast and can u get a good one for around 250? Please give me sum advice as i am completely lost. lol

Thanks

Chris
rc fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Tech Addict

being a rookie i would personally go to my local hobby shop and see what cars they stock. But seeing that you asked for a car in pounds sterling, i will assume u live in the uk, there are a lot of good online model shops in the uk that get stuff to your door within 2 days. But as i said check out the hobby shop first a website to checkout is apex
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Wink

So what electric car manufacturers should i look at and any particular models. Are they also reliable or do u have to buy certain betteries and motors every few weeks or months?? Please explain the full story to me, i need alot of help and u know wat u or talking about i can tell, lol.

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Tech Addict

well i try :P, anyway depending on what class of motor you are runing be it 27t,19t or modefied, for racing all you would need at the moment is gp3300s. I would say that you would get about 8 or so months out of a set of cells if you look after them properly, then you will want to get new cells as you get more consistent in your driving.I personally run a Schumacher mi2 but this might not be as good for a beginner because i feel it isnt as durable as some other cars i have owned. The pro4 seems to be a very good car to start off with as it is a very good spec out of the box and is quite durable, it will also do you right upto the highest level of competition that we are likely to find in the uk. I would say that being new to racing start in the slowest class of motor that your track does, if its a 27t you should get about 3 meetings before you need to maintain the motor. This would consist of skimming the com and putting new brushes in and a general clean of the motor. Im sure one of the more experinced racers at your track would skim your motor for you at a small price untill you buy a lathe
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc fanatic
So what electric car manufacturers should i look at and any particular models. Are they also reliable or do u have to buy certain betteries and motors every few weeks or months?? Please explain the full story to me, i need alot of help and u know wat u or talking about i can tell, lol.

Thanks

Chris
Like John_S posted, check with a local hobby shop and see what everyone is running. I'm not sure what's "hip" in U.K., but some good on-road cars for beginners would be the Team Losi XXX-S RTR or the Team Associated TC4 RTR. Both of those cars are good and many shops should carry a lot of parts for them.

As for batteries, if you spend at least about $50 USD on a pack of GP3300 batteries, they should last for at least a year, assuming you don't do something silly like charging them with a NiCD charger or such.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

If you have never driven or raced a remote control touring car before then I suggest you get a Tamiya TT-01. This should come with all the necessary electronics except for 2 servo's, radio gear and battery (plus bodyshell paint). A battery charger will also be required.

Servo's and radio gear can be bought as one package by a company called Acoms. Battery - as suggested by John_S a GP3300 battery (stick pack with a tamiya plug connector) is perfect for a beginner. Get a few of these and make sure you keep them charged up, this way they should last for a year.

http://www.apexmodels.com/product-se...cessories&id=4

http://www.apexmodels.com/product-se...at=kits&id=259

http://www.apexmodels.com/product-se...sories&id=2819

Those should be a good start!

The radio gear will also require eight AA batteries plus frequency crystals.

I recommend you go to your newsagents and try to find a copy of RC Car RACER or Radio RACE CAR International magasines to find your nearest model shop. If you then go there they should help you out much more than we can on here.

http://www.apexmodels.com/faqs.php

Thats FAQ might be of help as well.

Good luck!

Dan
dhamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Tech Regular

As you can see from the posts, there are plenty of options.

I'd suggest you vivit www.brca.org and find your local club...pop down and chat to the organisers, and they will be able to offer sound advice for what's good at their track. There isn't a lot of value in getting a car no one else drives as you will need help from time to time, so see what's popular before you deceide.

Also, many drivers upgrade their cars/cells etc regularly, you could grab a used bargain and have plenty of change from 250!
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Wink

Well all i am intending on doing is taking my electric stadium truck up the local park and do sum jumps and stuff, so i want a good, strong, reliable car. any suggestions.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:13 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

RTR Losi XXXS would be good for you.It comes with some good stuff to
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #11
Tech Regular

i got a TT-01 a good beginner car with MSC, Motor, Receiver, Radio, Battery, Slow Charger, Car, Shipping And 2 Servos for 117.99. Modelsport.co.uk
If interested get another battery, better charger, ESC and all that for 100quid so 218quid for a good car that could gt you started in club racing
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to tc4kid191

TT-01 is what I think. its reliable, it can take a beating, and parts for it are cheap.
tc4kid191 is offline   Reply With Quote